Had the emissions update done

Archies

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well Audi collected my A4 2.0tdi today for the emissions update.
First thoughts is the acceleration is down and it seems the engine is working harder. Not tried it on a run yet.

Anybody else had theres done that can comment.

Archie

Did you take logs before the software adaption of sprints and mph-mph?

Remember with any change the ECU will take some driving time to readapt all parameters.

No, i didnt take any logs. But Audi said i would not see any differences at all but i have. I wish i didnt have it done, it just doesnt feel right. The engine seem to be working a lot harder.

Read my second line, it will take some driving time to re-adapt.

Map is a map , no dramatic changes thereafter.

WHY O WHY
banghead.gif

I tol.......

So glad I've not had mine done. Sorry you feel yours isn't performaning as it should, I'll be watching this thread see if it picks up as said above.

Good luck mate.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Thanks for letting us know as personal I was very interested in all this process especially becquse my car is having just 136 ps and I m worried that I m going to lose some or the nice torque I have at the moment...such a shame, but maybe someone who can have access to a dyno to measure as accurate as possible before and after. Adi

Thanks for letting us know as personal I was very interested in all this process especially becquse my car is having just 136 ps and I m worried that I m going to lose some or the nice torque I have at the moment...such a shame, but maybe someone who can have access to a dyno to measure as accurate as possible before and after. Adi
Thing is Adi were do you stand if, say it's been dyno'd before and after and you want it back to how it was? Don't think audi would do it.

After the map settles down you maybe could try a 0-60 and compare the time to what Audi's published figures are?

My Golf is affected but I'm not getting it done unless it becomes compulsory, it'll probably be remapped shortly thereafter.

That s for sure that s why I m so concerned next thing if we end up in having downsize ps or Nm.. We really can prepare£££ to take tuned up the engine... It s just unfair for me to pay for a soft just because Audi been caught up cheating...I ve bought the car in good faith two months ago and now I need to take it down to Audi to "fix it" I ve asked them how?? They said that I m going to get a letter with plenty of explanation.. This was like two weeks ago.. Nothing.. Adi

That s for sure that s why I m so concerned next thing if we end up in having downsize ps or Nm.. We really can prepare£££ to take tuned up the engine... It s just unfair for me to pay for a soft just because Audi been caught up cheating...I ve bought the car in good faith two months ago and now I need to take it down to Audi to "fix it" I ve asked them how?? They said that I m going to get a letter with plenty of explanation.. This was like two weeks ago.. Nothing.. Adi
In America they (vw) gave compensation and other things. In the UK f**k all.

Reactions: budynx and IRONy_MAN
That s a very good point Mark as streets are full with cars coming from Vw ( Audis Seats Skodas) and they re selling a big number in Uk but what we get? Lies and silent moments trough the phone from Audi uk call center.

Reactions: feva
I'm not sure maps really need to bed in TBH.
Some small calibrations will occur from the ECU,but the base map is what it is

Reactions: IRONy_MAN
Hi...Does anyone know of a way to check on VCDS what the old map is, and then check if it has been changed after garage work?

My 2013 is booked in in a couple of weeks for some warranty work, nothing related to the engine, seat problems, a leak etc. I have written on the email and stressed on the phone that I 100% do not authorize the update to be applied.
I am worried that they will forget and do it and then it will be irreversible. so wondering if I can make sure it hasn't been done with VCDS when I get it back.

Well I was supposed to send my car yesterday for the remap. I did not go there so before re-scheduling I was going to ask her if the car was "caped down". Found this topic.... now no way I'll send my audi there

Hi Splinter that s a good decision you ve made just because they can t answer at the question what s gonna happen with the soft you ve fitted on your engine. Maybe let them do 'the fix' and than anyway you must take it for a re soft on a private company. Adi

Maybe was just a misunderstanding so your car is stock?the engine? I ve thought that your car is already remapped.

Thank you for this....I've been thinking actually, after reading the OBD thread, I'm probably going to remove the fuses. If I do this and tell them there is no way they can inadvertently do it, as the car is only in for bodywork rattles etc issues afterall, They have no reason to plug anything in there.

But my car is due a service in a few months, which I would like to get done with them before the warranty expires, this does worry me that they might update it by mistakes, I take it they have no way of reverting it back if they had done it and I complained?

Reactions: Neilmack59 and xpoweruk
Thank you for this....I've been thinking actually, after reading the OBD thread, I'm probably going to remove the fuses. If I do this and tell them there is no way they can inadvertently do it, as the car is only in for bodywork rattles etc issues afterall, They have no reason to plug anything in there.

But my car is due a service in a few months, which I would like to get done with them before the warranty expires, this does worry me that they might update it by mistakes, I take it they have no way of reverting it back if they had done it and I complained?

Cover the ODB port with big blue tape with a note stuck over saying 'dont you dare update me' :p

Just tell them you've done a load of retrofits - Stafford Audi left mine unplugged when I told them what changes had been done with VCDS and when I got there the job sheet was covered in stars and a notice saying DO NOT RUN SVM on 5 lines repeatedly.

A map wont need to bed in or anything like that. What you see is what you get. otherwise mapping companies would have you back for a run after the engine had settled in. You get a bit of fuel adaptions and knock adaptions, but nothing that will get in the way of power.

Reactions: ruairi83, X_Splinter and xpoweruk
Well looks like the government maybe after the diesel drivers

Transport Secretary: Diesel taxes could be hiked to cut air pollution

http://flip.it/2Tw27

I dont think it could ever happen, atleast not in the way they propose, they have been saying it for years but have never followed through due to the effect it will have on our economy.
Tankers, taxis, buses, vans etc etc most are diesels, and chosen because of the lower running costs.
It is not feasible to increase tax costs by enough to force people out of diesels, they need to faze them out in a different method, this bull in a china approach will just put costs up stupid high for business running costs and bully/force them into buying new fleets with huge knock on the consumers.. Fuel prices etc.. and the governement know this, but they just have to be seen to be atleast talking about it so green peace dont nail themselves naked to their buildings

I dont think it could ever happen, atleast not in the way they propose, they have been saying it for years but have never followed through due to the effect it will have on our economy.
Tankers, taxis, buses, vans etc etc most are diesels, and chosen because of the lower running costs.
It is not feasible to increase tax costs by enough to force people out of diesels, they need to faze them out in a different method, this bull in a china approach will just put costs up stupid high for business running costs and bully/force them into buying new fleets with huge knock on the consumers.. Fuel prices etc.. and the governement know this, but they just have to be seen to be atleast talking about it so green peace dont nail themselves naked to their buildings
I agree can't see them in the current climate rising tax on diesels but do think they (the government) will be looking at the emissions and trying some way to get effected cars to have to do it.

Last thing we want is next Greenpeace members naked I've seen some of them and it won't be a pretty sight.

Reactions: RS5 JON and Meemo
I agree it would be quite difficult to do it, but if ever they do come round to an agreement I think we as consumers of small cars will be hit first, as you suggest even having a phased approach, the bigger trucks/buses/vans will have to be phased out/hit last since they would have the most impact.

But then again I dont see it happening anytime soon. A few weeks ago there was a report on LBC about the fact that none of the deisel engines met realistic emissions figures and most were over 3-4 times in realistic tests (on the top being Mercs!), but that story never really kicked off any debate, even though in my opinion it could have been a real game changer!

They'll raise the tax somehow cause these so called low emission £30 tax ain't gonna pay for british roads .

Another forum a few are experiencing a hesitation between certain rpm and a few mpg are lost post update , but they won't put the original map back on whereas any remapping firm will if not satisfied .

They'll raise the tax somehow cause these so called low emission £30 tax ain't gonna pay for british roads .

Another forum a few are experiencing a hesitation between certain rpm and a few mpg are lost post update , but they won't put the original map back on whereas any remapping firm will if not satisfied .
What hesitation do you speak of?

I noticed the other day that when I have the ESC in 'Sport' and about 75% throttle, I get a very very tiny hesitation at 2750rpm, but can only feel it in 4th gear. 99% of people probably wouldnt notice it. Cant feel it in the ESC off or the normal 'on' driving mode.

Do you know of the software number the emissions update gives the ECU? surely we must be able to find something out with vag com?

"Hi,

I had the emissions recall software update when my Golf (2.0 tdi bmt, 2010, 6 speed manual) was in for it's service last Thursday (they didn't mention they were going to do it). I have found that there is an intermittent lag at +40mph between 1800/2000 revs since this was done. Effectively it feels like the delay you get when you put your foot down in an automatic."

I don t like that delay from an auto gearbox:) such a shame isn't it?basically you fell the you ve got more turbo lag after the update? tank you, Adi

"Hi,

I had the emissions recall software update when my Golf (2.0 tdi bmt, 2010, 6 speed manual) was in for it's service last Thursday (they didn't mention they were going to do it). I have found that there is an intermittent lag at +40mph between 1800/2000 revs since this was done. Effectively it feels like the delay you get when you put your foot down in an automatic."

Just joined to say that I too have had the emissions software update and am experiencing similar symptoms.

12 plate Golf Mk6 2.0 Bluemotion TD140

Engine is approx 80 deg from cold. Driving in 4th gear approx 38-42 mph 1500rpm. On acceleration I get a second or so hesitation a couple of small judders and then normal acceleration resumes. This happens nearly every time I drive the car from cold.

1 - I took the car to VW dealership to get a check done. Took the mechanic for a spin but couldn't replicate it (car was up to temp at this point). They were unable to find a problem and put it down to DPF regen. As I explained to the dealership this would have been happening since I purchased the car 11 months ago if that was the case. Seems highly suspect it has only happens since the update.

2 - Contacted VW direct and their official line is 'There is no issue with the software update' and could offer no further help.

Be interested in finding other people with similar issues to try and collate a response and get VW to address these issues.

And this is why I'm leaving mine well alone.

I'll have to do it otherwise they will report to Audi that I didn't and I risk having to pay extra taxes for polution the car is doing.

I'll probably just remap it after they update the software

I'll have to do it otherwise they will report to Audi that I didn't and I risk having to pay extra taxes for polution the car is doing.

I'll probably just remap it after they update the software
Shame, if audi did do it then you did get a remap, do you think it might be tested again at annual MOT time (similar in Portugal)?

Risk paying extra taxes for pollution the car is doing
wtf.gif

There is no such legislation , utter nonsense.

Risk paying extra taxes for pollution the car is doing
wtf.gif

There is no such legislation , utter nonsense.
Not sure what Portugal's laws are Gaz personally. Might be different to the UK?

I am not sure what MOT is but if it is the techical inspection test they do here every 2 years the worst that could happen is failure (but they as far as I know it wont)

Well, in Portugal every year (on the month you bought the car) you have to pay a bill that is calculated with your car engine size and CO2 emissions. My Audi pays 230€ a year, now if Audi tells my car is doing more Co2 I may end up paying more.

Or probably not but I dont want to take risks with them, besides I was planning in remapping anyway.

I know in France when you buy the car, a Co2 tax is included in the price when you buy it for the first time... I have no idea how it's done in UK

It's the same in the UK you pay for the level of Co2 your car emits. Not the Nox which is what the software update addresses. So can't see how they can increase your Co2 tax when it's for Co2.

Reactions: DrEskimo and Gazwould
I am not sure what MOT is but if it is the techical inspection test they do here every 2 years the worst that could happen is failure (but they as far as I know it wont)

Well, in Portugal every year (on the month you bought the car) you have to pay a bill that is calculated with your car engine size and CO2 emissions. My Audi pays 230€ a year, now if Audi tells my car is doing more Co2 I may end up paying more.

Or probably not but I dont want to take risks with them, besides I was planning in remapping anyway.

I know in France when you buy the car, a Co2 tax is included in the price when you buy it for the first time... I have no idea how it's done in UK

It does not affect CO2 emissions. It's all about NOx, which is not involved in the calculation of VED here in the UK, and by the sounds of it, the tax in Portugal

^(Feva beat me to it ><) ^

Reactions: feva and X_Splinter