Had the car mapped

Fuzzyduckjb

Reaction score
So after some deliberation and tooing and froing for a fair bit I got in contact with a local remapping service, now forgive my wording but I'm not blown away by it what so ever....over a fee messages there were claims to take my 190 tdi to 230 and around 80 torque...I was happy with that quote, turns up and mid way through it gets dropped into the convo 'yeah so they say this takes you to 210 but weve always got better figures than that's I pulled a silly face and was like hold on, wheresbthe 230 that was quoted, their response was yeah it will most likely be running close to that....at this point my cogs are turning, anyway map done and take it out and yeah it's a bit quicker, definitely not earth shattering or anywhere near what I thought it would be like.
Just wondered what you guys thought. . . Really under welmed

No mate was a mobile thing, he copied my ECU codes, sent them off...we waited then the company returned a file back and then out that on the car

Rather not give names as tbf the guy that did it was really good about it and have messaged him and he has now come back and said the company have said they can do another map and squeeze a bit more out of it but it's not a stage 2. Needless to say I'm not doing it and now feel silly for handing my money over.

Was there anything mechanical done to the car, i.e. egr blank, dpf gutted (if any in), decat or bigger exhaust pipes, pulley's ect?
If nothing with a remap (usually dpf gutting and egr blank should be), map would need to be redone again.

Map on it's own would work better when support by above works.

210bhp out of 190? Still an increase.

I had my 2005 plate 1.9TDI 170bhp B7 mapped to "about" 210bhp and few hundred miles after, I had blown gasket.
Same guy who put that map in my car fixed it but it blew again.
Quoted 230bhp would be too dangerous, imho.

Get K&N air filter, gut dpf, blank egr and get it remapped again, if they offer it.
That should bring you another 10bhp?

Sent from H P20 PRO

Who is rick? I wasnt aware of him or his business otherwise maybe would have.

No nothing mechanical at all...plug and play. 210 is barely noticeable imho dont get me wrong it's a little quicker but when reading reviews from people who have their car remapped I was expecting to feel a little more oomf if you get me

I had my A6 C6 2.0 170bhp mapped to just over 210bhp. About that figure as no pre/post dyno was done.
Had to reduce it closer to 200 as clutch couldn't handle it.
Still cannot and need changing but I had dpf gutted, egr switched off and am safe to drive with better economy. Still can feel them few ponies more but throttle response is restricted by the clutch.

Soon as I get it replaced, I've been promised higher map back on again.

I had it done by @bobby singh .

Another note, guy who did the map for the guy who uploaded it to your car, was surely aware of your engine capabilities and wanted to put you on the safe side with new map and power rather messing up your motor.
Getting a map dine is one thing but knowing the limits of engine which will perform it, is other.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Yeah there is but hes like a one man band working on behalf of a larger company and if I'm honest i felt bad messaging him and saying I wasnt best pleased anyway....I know hes out of work and hardly anything coming in at the mo with the current situation I just felt bad

And the wheels just keep on turning !

2020 04 13 131131

I wanted to look at the two turbo diesels I've got to see how realistic they are .

Quoting stock from and to figures is vague , they should only guarantee increases but then without a dyno..

One of mine never makes stock power unless the dyno is 'generous' because they started out with Piezo injectors but like most Piezo developed faults so had to result back to the older reliable magnetic solenoid .

Remaps with dyno..

I've heard back from the guy and hes heard back from the company....says they have done a new map with an extra 20bhp and 40 torque. So that ontop of the already roughly 210 would be 230 approx....do people think this is too much and would ruin my insides/anything mechanical or do people think 210 is enough for what the engine can handle?? I really need some info/guidance at this stage please guys

Cheers

Again the key to all this is the amazing dyno tool .

It will reveal exact figures , a torque spike or linear heaven .

Not too sure where I could go locally to just get rolling road done as 1 all dynos are supposedly different 2 the act of going, getting the new map then going back and 3 covid

Dyno Dynamics are to be trusted .

Meanwhile the cogs are still turning on that website .

I did save a screen shot over a year ago for one of mine , their Stage 1 was nominal BHP increase but the torque was 40 Nm more than the nominal 50 Nm increase average of others , I don't think you can get an extra 40 Nm on top without removing the dpf .

Ahh ok, so do you think the new figures they have quoted are slightly inflated or would need me to do extra bits because they have said 'at your own risk'

It's all a bit ," it's 230 Ponies now mate" , without any insight , that graph tells alot.

Yeah I'm with ya....ok I hear what's being said, that's enough for me thank you for the help

Cheers

You would have got more from the car at Unicorn and you would have seen the results on a dyno. Plenty of people doing maps these days . Had a look on the superchips site as they show before and after graphs for a car they have tuned. They tend to be more conservative in their maps than some .
https://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/B9A4190PS.pdf
The car they started off with had 197bhp and gained 33bhp.

Which of course might be a little on the high side as dynos go .

You can have 230+ from Celtic Tuning but that will be false .

I always look to the European Tuning Houses for the truth they are among the first to develop files for newer model cars .

One such is BR-Performance in Belgium.

2020 04 14 094507

2020 04 14 094549

2020 04 14 094639

2020 04 14 094716

2020 04 14 094755

2020 04 14 094836

Real cars , real results on a truthful dyno .

Some of them are as stock down on torque and power .

Just to clarify for anyone thinking of maybe using topgear tuning....DONT!! Spoke to them yesterday and to say I'm appalled is an understatement, the level of customer service was negative and the arrogance over the phone was astonishing. Zero empathy and zero willingness to listen to reason or even try to resolve an issue.

I think we got that impression from your first post. Perhaps some are fed up with me saying this but you probably would have been better off by going to dtuk which has provided many an owner with success. Plus the MD is sponsor of audi-sport and very approachable @ABYSS
Some will also disagree with the technology however it is proven to work...

I agree with cuke2u, You would probably be better off with the DTUK tuning box. Especially with the engine you have. If you was going to heavily modify the engine I’d say re-map all the way, but for the engine you have i’d just go with a plug and play DTUK tuning box. There is only so much power you can put through those front wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya and being honest that's the route I'm probably going to go down. Had a dtuk box on 2 mk5 astra cdti I have had in previous years and no faults that I could see or remember so that's the route for me i think.
I'm not going to keep this dragging on as I'm probably getting boring haha but thanks to all that have replied with helpful insights and just a friendly response....nice one guys
J

Yeah they have agreed to set it back to standard if I wish (which i now do) then i shall be speaking to someone about dtuk box i think, might even try my luck in the classifieds on here. cheers for the heads up

From what I've seen with tuning box's they fill the dpf in no time. I had a BiTDI A6 in with these boxes and the car was in regen more often than one would like.

Reactions: And1
Regen? What does that mean please? Was it just a case of giving the dpf a clean like we do the egr valve?

Regen is the method used by the cars computer to burn off excessive soot in the filter by dumping in lots of fuel and getting exhaust gas temp to 600deg.
These tuning boxes often run rich and lead to this issue.
When mapping a with a dpf you are meant to balance the air and fuel so the dpf can cope.

From what I've seen with tuning box's they fill the dpf in no time. I had a BiTDI A6 in with these boxes and the car was in regen more often than one would like.
Not with a product such as the one sold by dtuk. Maybe years ago with cheap products but things have moved on since then. I think your information is a little out of date. I suggest you talk to the supplier first as not one of the cars they use to test their products on has been returned with any issues. I know from first hand experience...

Last edited:
Regen is the method used by the cars computer to burn off excessive soot in the filter by dumping in lots of fuel and getting exhaust gas temp to 600deg.
These tuning boxes often run rich and lead to this issue.
When
Regen? What does that mean please? Was it just a case of giving the dpf a clean like we do the egr valve?
There are two types of a diesel regeneration to clear the filter of soot, and bobby Singh only refers to one, passive and active. Passive will usually happen when the engine and exhaust is hot enough, usually on a longish A road or motorway run, which you may not notice. An active regen will take place if a passive one hasn't been able to occure, usually if the vehicle is used for short runs. Here is a explanation of both https://www.whatcar.com/advice/owning/diesel-particulate-filters-everything-you-need-to-know/n1181

Last edited:
Not with a product such as the one sold by dtuk. Maybe years ago with cheap products but things have moved on since then. I think your information is a little out of date. I suggest you talk to the supplier first as not one of the cars they use to test their products on has been returned with any issues. I know from first hand experience...

Im not real up on the tech of these tuning boxes but the basic principle remains the same and that is to vary the voltage to the sensor. If you have more fuel going in than air you will clog the dpf. The cheap boxes use to use a fixed resistor and now they have become variable.

This was the car I was refering to:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bitdi-tdi-tuning-box-crdt4-short-review.401666/#post-3495448

Cheers
Bobby