Had my A3 quattro valued yesterday...

murkins

Reaction score
So I had a service yesterday and asked the Audi dealer to value my car.

2008 (58)
A3 sportback
Sports trim
2.0L TDI (170PS) quattro
Common-rail diesel engine
Aruba blue

When I collected the car he told me that it was unusually well maintained and looked after for a quattro car, a couple of marks on the alloys and a slight mark on the bumper but overall a car in good nick :)

Value?

£10,300

:huh:

wut?

Yup, £10,300. I've seen similar on sale on AutoTrader for £15,995 (trader), now say the trader only gets 14,500, that's still a lot more than 10,300.

He did say that if I was trading in against a new Audi they could give me more for the car.
So my plan was to trade it in for something else, probably a used A4, 10 or 11 reg.

Not so sure that's going to pan out now...

What millage? that makes a hell of a difference

LOL, take no notice.. They're trying to kick you in the nuts with that price, it's worth £14000 all day long (with average mileage), yeah they have to be able to sell it on but look on there forecourt, they'll be similar, might not be 170s but they'll be similar age diesels and they won't be £10000.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for trading in for a new Audi they'll give you more talk, of course they will, they make a higher mark up on new motors, plus there's more chance of you putting extra's onto a new car then a used one so they make even more money.

That is shocking. It seems to be getting worse with trade in values. I went to look at an S3 at a private dealer and asked for a PX for my 57 plate Astra VXR. That car was like new in every way. No stone chips due to me getting the front end resprayed recently and low mileage. He offered me £7k and then when I questioned it he said £7k was generous. Needless to say I walked away. I was pretty angry to be honest as it was an insult to offer £7k for a car that had been so well looked after since new by myself. He could have rolled it inside and put a price in the window of £11k without having to do 1 thing to it. I sold it last week for £10k privately.

Pretty much robbery when you look at it with a clear head on.

When the Euro got stronger against the pound, pushing average cars from say £20k to £25k+, I thought it could only be a good thing for residuals as new cars seemed overpriced. However it seems to be getting worse.

My 07 S3 with 55k has been valued at £14k which I can't be ***** to argue. The saleman I use at least has the decency to be frank, honest and tell me the truth trying to wrap the facts up in bull**** to justify the situation.

But then my car was £26,999 OTR (£31,000 in extras which barely factor in for resale), and so if you take OTR at nearly 5 years and 50K miles I'm still at 14k which is over 50% of original value. Hence I can't moan.

Problem is that as cars get ever more pricey the more you lose, and the more those who change regularly get hit buy if they don't buy shrewd. I think whats worse is when you look after your motor it does feel like a kick in the teeth, but to anyone else it's just a box for sale like any other motor. It could still go wrong tomorrow.

What millage? that makes a hell of a difference

Just under 55k b19, not a lot, pretty average for a 3 year old I's have thought. :) Also, no mods on mine that might scare off the average punter looking for a regular car...unlike some I could mention:laugh:

I've never sold privately so don't really fancy the hassle and wouldn't know where to start but that valuation was mad. I paid 21k for mine from new so that's less than 50% after three years. I'd rather trade in for a newer, used -approved Audi but I can't see that happening and as well as that, the bloke told me that once it goes over 60k miles they won't sell it on their forecourt so they would give me less for it at that point!

Just under 55k b19, not a lot, pretty average for a 3 year old I's have thought. :) Also, no mods on mine that might scare off the average punter looking for a regular car...unlike some I could mention:laugh:

I've never sold privately so don't really fancy the hassle and wouldn't know where to start but that valuation was mad. I paid 21k for mine from new so that's less than 50% after three years. I'd rather trade in for a newer, used -approved Audi but I can't see that happening and as well as that, the bloke told me that once it goes over 60k miles they won't sell it on their forecourt so they would give me less for it at that point!

If you're going to trade that into Audi for £10300 i'll buy it from you!

If i was you i would keep it and take out a 3rd party warranty for your peace of mind.

Ha ha, no, I'll not trade it for £10,300 but if I do, I'll call you. :) I think I'll just call back to him and talk through what he'd be willing to offer me against an Audi approved A4. My wife doesn't want a sports model again as the ride is too firm (insert wife-riding joke here), so I guess I'll be looking at an SE which should make things a little cheaper. I also can't afford S-line, as much as I'd like it. If we can't get a decent 1-2 year old A4 we may end up either keeping the A3 or buying a non-Audi car like a Mondeo (so, so boring and bland to look at), or an Insignia (I've driven one of these and liked it...but it's not an A4!)

Reactions: jsh