Had a play with Plastidip today!

Andy_Foz

Reaction score
Had a spare hour this afternoon so got a chance to try out a new product I've been wanting to get my hands on for a few months now... Plastidip!!

Still unsure of the longevity, so sprayed my chrome Audi badge and chrome grill surround. No befores but here is the after.

4CB340A0-96D7-4B22-9D48-31EAE30BEAF2-908-00000149CF1317F5.jpg

6B42C775-E15A-45DC-9E77-5D001E9B19B5-908-00000149C019E5FF.jpg

hi mate,did you sand the grille down before etc or just give it a clean up and blow over?
and where did you get the stuff from?

Hi mate. Just gave the panel a quick wash before spraying. It is completely reversible. The plastidip is basically a liquid rubber. You can pick at it with your fingernail and pull it off like a sheet of plastic. So so weird!! I tried it on my toolbox first and it comes off with no damage underneath. I was sceptical about the longevity of this but now it is on nice and thick it looks quite resilient. Time will tell...

i got it from plastidip's website. I called them initially but they didn't want to take a phone order (lazy!!). Customer service wasn't good bit product seems sound.

Good job! :thumbup:

Done my mates transporter grill about 6 months ago and still looks fresh.
Fair play, the stuff is durable, takes a bashing from the jetwash weekly and seems to repell stone chips.

put a good 4 to 5 coats on the grill this will prevent the stone chips and give it a solid coat fella

How many cans to do 4 alloys do you think?.
Ive just put the winter 16"s on and think they would look good matt black or dark grey even.

Plastidip suggest a can per wheel, mate. I agree, there is nothing wrong with normal paint, but if you have good condition wheels, you may not want to use something as permanent as aerosol as this can be completely removed later on if needs be.

I did my roof about 6 months or so go and not had any issues. Done over 5k and the Scottish highlands with out any problems.

It might be a can a wheel but I doubt that will include the back of the wheels.

Plasti dip is very long well if looked after but if you catch it, don't clean the surface very well or get to close with a jet washer it will soon come off.

Edit: check out my thread on my adventures in plasti dip if you want to know more.
I attempted to do some more over the weekend but it's not liking the cold. Takes way to long to dry.

re plastidip on wheels -
thinking of doing mine but what about balancing,
i'm guessing even an even coat would be a gram or 2 out of balance would it not?

going to buy a little sprayer for use on a couple of othr projects so shuld be even finish

thing is the tyres need changing now anyway and dont know which way round to do it

re plastidip on wheels -
thinking of doing mine but what about balancing,
i'm guessing even an even coat would be a gram or 2 out of balance would it not?

going to buy a little sprayer for use on a couple of othr projects so shuld be even finish

thing is the tyres need changing now anyway and dont know which way round to do it

I understand but I think its a very small amount that you won't really notice.
I doubt its any more than dirt being on your wheels or several stones in the rubber.

I'd put the tyres on first and then spray them.
Their tools should not touch the rim but the tyre will.