Had a nightmare! (coolant leak)

mstirlz05

Reaction score
OK, thought Id post this in case anyone else has the same trouble as I did.
So I needed a new coolant sensor, as my reading was all over the place, didnt want to spend nearly 40 quid for an audi one, so I went to GSF as I heard they were pretty much the same, and it only cost me 16.

First thing I noticed was that it didnt have the clip and seal ring, so I picked them up from audi and set about replacing.
After removing the old one, I compared the two, and noticed the GSF one is fatter and has a longer plunger, didnt think much of it, as I assumed it had been revised to fit better.

But thats when it went wrong. Firstly I couldnt seem to get the new one to fit as flush as the previous, and it would pop out with the smallest amount of force (even when clipped).

Then I took it for a test run, the needle rose and stayed on 90and didnt drop, but then my coolant light came on and steam was billowing out from my bonnet. It had come loose and drained all the coolant.
After cooling down, trying again, even re-fitting the old one, and putting 2 seal rings on, filling up the coolant, it happened again!!!!

I dont know if anyone else has had this problem, but I thought I would post as it doesnt seem as much of a doddle as many say it is.

Could be me, could be a rubbish part. The end result is a trip to audi to fork out 40 quid for a new sensor and a tenner for coolant.

Not very happy:banghead:

Sorry to hear about your troubles dude, these audi dont come cheap im afraid. I need to change my temp sensor, iv got the one from gsf thats green with the brass nipple, have you sorted it now? And was it easy to fit?(apart from all the greif of it poppin out)

Yeah hard luck but, I have trouble in seeing how it can pop out with the clip firmly in place, so i suspect it wasnt attached properly and out popped the sensor under pressure.

Camscockle...easy diy job to fit.

DC

Is there a diy guide on here dude? Iv looked but i use tapatalk on the iphone and its poo. Thanks

It really is a 5 minute job.

But if you really need a guide i think I've got enough pictures from when i did mine top make you one :thumbsup:

Reactions: mstirlz05
Thanks, Haven't had chance to get the part yet. Im starting to wonder whether I havent fitted it right.

Any chance you could post a link to your thread a3 t??

Thanks, Haven't had chance to get the part yet. Im starting to wonder whether I havent fitted it right.

Any chance you could post a link to your thread a3 t??

Ive not made a guide yet....lol

But i will if you guys want me to ;)

No need mate, I think it may be where I placed the clip.

Im going to try again in the morning and confirm if its me being an idiot.

Hopefully Ill post up good news soon.

Thanks for the info

A guide would be nice :) lol i just worry about air locks as im a novice.

Are you fitting the o ring seal to the sender and then installing the sender or putting the o ring seal in and then installing the sender? It needs to be the 2nd way. Put the I ring in and then the sender.

Dont use those rubbish GSF sensors. They'll just give you more issues as they arent particularly reliable.

If you stack the o rings, the clip simply wont engage properly. The sensor needs to push down far enough to allow the clip to sit above it. With two o rings the clip sort of slides against the side and isnt doing anything to retain it.

I've found a tiny bit of WD40 or similar on the oring allows the sensor to slide right in with little issue. Just spray a bit on your finger, then rub it round the ring so theres just a thin film.

sounds awfully similar to when i ordered a replacement thermostat from vwspares last year.......was a non audi part and guess what?!.......the rib around the outside that seals against the o-ring wasnt as thick as the audi one.....and yes it leaked.

i saw the leak when i checked it over on the driveway so didn't drive on it. but damn annoying and needed more coolant....and had to refit the original until i could get one from audi.

thats the last time i ever buy a so called "pattern" part. so often they don't even come close to the original. (in my experience)

Thanks to all the replies but I re-checked earlier and the clip I had was too big to fit round the housing flush.

Luckily I found my old clip on the drive and thats when I knew.

Iv used the RIGHT clip and it sits perfect, and I drove it for a good 30 mins with no spills. Happily my nightmares over, apart from the dial still being all over the place.

Time for a new thermostat and a new nightmare:(

If your temperature dial is still all over the place, which coolant sensor did you replace?

My temp gauge is a bit iffy sometimes too. A few times just sitting at idle it will drop off the scale and the fuel gauge goes funny at the same time. Not sure if this could be down to the sensor yet though.