H&R Springs - RS3

billyali86

Think the drop looks perfect with these!

Will probs be the first mod I do when my car arrives next month

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440204001.828902.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440204013.413093.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440204026.863332.jpg

M

monopole

Cars without the traditional fixed rate set-up. ie have magride, can you still fit lowering springs (my ignorance is showing regarding what magride is..!), looks very nice with that drop

>EDIT<

plus, I think lowered, that pic makes the roof bars definitely look out of place on the RS3 (imo)

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigI

I wouldn't bother with springs, will improve the look only and possibly make the car worse to drive.
If you are trying to improve more than just the look you should invest in a set of fully adjustable coilovers.

It's madness spending £50k on a RS then considering a £250 mod to make it look better, whilst compromising the set-up of how the car drives.......

Do it properly or not at all!

Last edited:

Yeoy

Personally I don't even think the car needs to be lowered..
That photo just makes the car look like some 17yr old has popped to halfords.. My opinion of course.

Gazwould

I wouldn't bother with springs, will improve the look only and possibly make the car worse to drive.
If you are trying to improve more than just the look you should invest in a set of fully adjustable coilovers.

It's madness spending £50k on a RS then considering a £250 mod to make it look better, whilst compromising the set-up of how the car drives.......

I'm sure the H&R engineers won't have ruined it .

billyali86

H&R know what they are doing mate, they developed springs for the tt rs to work with the mag ride. A lot of the s3 boys have fitted them also and been happy. Along with a lot of lads over the m3 forum on the m3/m4. None have complained about ruined ride quality or handling.

These are not the lowering springs of old, I think the lowered ride gives the rs3 the more aggressive look it needs, each to their own but

billyali86

Cars without the traditional fixed rate set-up. ie have magride, can you still fit lowering springs (my ignorance is showing regarding what magride is..!), looks very nice with that drop

>EDIT<

plus, I think lowered, that pic makes the roof bars definitely look out of place on the RS3 (imo)

Mag ride is for the dampers and not the springs, should cause no problems. H&R will develop a kit for cars with mag ride also. They had done for all other audi cars that have it

CraigI

I expect the RS guys will do a better job with this car than H&R could with springs, or they should as they should be engineering the car from the bottom up with driving the focus.
Coilovers will sort out some of the inherent problems this car has, springs won't and I stand by the fact that they will likely make it worse (although it will look like a £50k car that has been slammed...........).
Stay classy kids.

Last edited:

billyali86

Like I said, go across to some of the other forums and see how happy people have been with them. The rs3 is still somewhat designed in mind with what it will be mainly doing, driven on the road and not a track monster.
Not saying the springs will turn it into this however they will not ruin the handling of the car.

H&R are not some back street tuner

As for slammed, the pic below is slammed and not the one above, it is a subtle drop in height

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440242391.204824.jpg

Grant

I have H&R springs on my S3 and although the stance does look good (especially with spacers front and rear), the ride quality is awful.

Really looking forward to having mag ride on the RS3.

N

Nimbus265

Like I said, go across to some of the other forums and see how happy people have been with them. The rs3 is still somewhat designed in mind with what it will be mainly doing, driven on the road and not a track monster.
Not saying the springs will turn it into this however they will not ruin the handling of the car.

H&R are not some back street tuner

As for slammed, the pic below is slammed and not the one above, it is a subtle drop in height

View attachment 66711
IMO that looks totally chavvy pants... yuk....

It's like putting a rembrant in an Ikea picture frame

billyali86

IMO that looks totally chavvy pants... yuk....

It's like putting a rembrant in an Ikea picture frame

Lol yep, well put.

Not something I would do, just after a subtle bit of lowering

Ashbrummy

Each to their own but I hate the look of that car. I have too many speed bumps around where I live so that kind of setup would do drive me nuts having to crawl at a snails pace to go over the humps in the damn road in order to minimize the front scraping.

KW do that DDC set where you can control the damper settings and so on through the app on your phone and it has a few different modes like race, stock, sport, it's a fantastic piece of kit.. I'm not very technical when it comes to cars so I wouldn't know if it would interfere (conflict) with the Audi driver select system if you were to use both at the same time though?

M

monopole

Are you still going ahead with these springs billyali86? I think I will go down that line too but won't get the car until (I am assuming) the new year unless transport and delivery gets me in xmas week :). Firstly I will be getting the MTM kit as soon as it is available, then these (should I see some feedback beforehand - but from those pics, perfect stance!)

I had Bilstein B14 coilovers on my 2012 S3 SB, never again, just too much noise, clunk and bang in the backside every hairline bump I went over!

Think the drop looks perfect with these!

Will probs be the first mod I do when my car arrives next month

View attachment 66705

View attachment 66706

View attachment 66707

billyali86

Weird that you just posted mate, was literally looking at this when you did...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441446869.077575.jpg

The guy said it is ever so slightly firmer but mag ride etc still works as supposed to, car arrives in next few weeks so will see how I feel but I think I'll go for it

M

monopole

Weird that you just posted mate, was literally looking at this when you did...

View attachment 67912

The guy said it is ever so slightly firmer but mag ride etc still works as supposed to, car arrives in next few weeks so will see how I feel but I think I'll go for it

Did you spec mag ride on your RS? (I can't be ***** to look back to see if you did :p)

At the cost of the MTM tuning box(!), I will put that off a while and probably look into the lowering kit sooner rather than later when I get mine.

jimojameso

Section Mod
Think i'll be getting these too. Looks spot on! :friendly wink:

billyali86

Did you spec mag ride on your RS? (I can't be ***** to look back to see if you did :p)

At the cost of the MTM tuning box(!), I will put that off a while and probably look into the lowering kit sooner rather than later when I get mine.

Yes went with dynamic pack so mag ride included. I think the drop makes a huge diff

billyali86

Have been quoted approx £500 for the springs fitted along with laser alignment, thoughts?

Spoke to Kim at QS tuning, they have it on their project car and say ride is no different to standard

jimojameso

Section Mod
Sounds about right. Fitting and alignment is usually about £300 at anywhere decent. :)

M

monopole

I was expecting between 300-500, so all above mentioned, I can live with that :)

jimojameso

Section Mod
I'm in on group buy :)

RYuill

+1

M

monopole

just to be clear, it's not me doing the forum discount deal / group buy, see the link above to the Qstuning post by Kim on RS3OC

5pot

Part no for springs 28810-3
Around £160 if you look around
H&R now have monotube coilovers
image.jpeg

Anyone know what wheels are on this?

RYuill

Grant

Eurocarparts sell these for £195.83 including vat and delivery, however I found a discount code (BATTERY10) which gives 10% discount.

Therefore total cost was £176.25 which must make Eurocarparts the cheapest place to buy the lowering springs from.

Last edited:

AudiNutta

Staff member
Gold Supporter
Any feedback on the way these affect the ride quality?

AudiNutta

Staff member
Gold Supporter

Yeah just had a read through that, will be interesting to hear as the reviews build. Definitely something I would be interested in doing, I've always noticed the excessive arch gap. It all comes down to insurance costs as well as warranty for me, being 19/20 when I take ownership insurance is most likely to be around the £2500-£3000 figure.