h+r roll bar kit

s4marsh

Reaction score
If i bought the h+r 32/17mm anti roll bar kit would anyone want to buy the front 32mm one? as i only want to tweak he back end slightly

Neuspeed do a rear only kit I think.

If I was to do it all over again, i'd buy Hotchkis instead of H&R. All these photos flying round of people's rear subframes snapping because H&R don't have support brackets is very worrying.

They do, but it's another £100+ on top of the H&R kit.

Hotchkis come with brackets.

The H&R set 'feel' much stiffer though, but agree for the extra cash will actually make any difference, probably not...

H&R if you want to spend more / believe the slight extra stiffness is worth it then buy the extra brackets required

Hotchkis if you want virtually the same performance at a lower price and more kit =- better value

Where do you buy Hotchkis? And will they ship to sweden?
Thanks!

i bought mine from Unit20 in Neston

www.unit20.org

there are some american dealers, but imports costs may make those prohibitive

Jesse at Lightingperformance is quite helpful, others include Avalon

H&R if you want to spend more / believe the slight extra stiffness is worth it then buy the extra brackets required

Hotchkis if you want virtually the same performance at a lower price and more kit =- better value

^^^ yeah, like wot he just did sed...

:drag:

i got a quote of grizz at unit20 for the hotchkis jobbies last week and its £450 but qst do a full h+r set for £275 32/17mm and as i was only wanting to use the 17mm rear i thought the subframe issue's wouldnt concern me as its only a 2mm upgrade not like the usual 15>22mm swap needing brackets and was gonna use powerflex bushes on the standard front bar as i dont feel the car needs that much changing to the balance of it. it responds well to adjusting throttle angle through corners or going round big roundabouts twice...lol
i just thought the qst option might have been the cheapest option for me and a bargain for some one else possibly

If you are trying to tighten up the rear a bit why not go for Polybushes in the rear and use RS2 droplinks ( steel instead of fancy moulded plastic stuff) ?

I too have a complete 32mms front bar from a RS4 -- if anybody needs one..... could deliver to ADI in a couple of weeks

Hes wanting to reduce understeer by increasing the rear ARB rate.

S4marsh: didnt you get anywhere with the whiteline kit? I think its been discontinued as its not on their catalog any more, but balance motorsport are still listing them...

yeah i found a few places still advertising it but non quoting any prices apart from australian websites i meant to phone quattronics today but forgot mate

why are you using quattronics?

terrible rep and gone bust a few times - plenty of people who have paid for items and never seen them - not small stuff - thousands of pounds worth of goods

anyone know the ARB sizes across the A4, S4 RS4 range (B5)?
been offered a rear Rs4. is it significantly different from the A4 one?

thats the whiteline kit out of the question thanks mate.
so either hotchkis setup from unit 20 for christmas or just see how the powerflex bushes front and rear go next week

anyone know the ARB sizes across the A4, S4 RS4 range (B5)?
been offered a rear Rs4. is it significantly different from the A4 one?

mine is 29mm front and 15mm rear on a 99 s4 but the rs4 is the same from what audi said on friday
powerflex do a few different bushes front 25+27+29mm and 15+16mm rears but never seen a 16mm bar advertised anywhere

thats a good link mate nice one i could probably get my brother in laws mate to sort it out in the u.s he's quite good mates with that jesse james dude from monster garage he gets custom parts for the harley choppers he builds i bet he could get an awsome discount too

this is the extreme kit which is thicker than usual 35mm front and 22mm rear arent they usually 32/22mm?

Maybe you should do a Group Buy? They seem to have a good rep too.
Sure you'd get a few interested, myself included...

One favour deserves another...!!

;)

It's an upgrade for RS4's, so would be great for S4's too!!

Even better control...

right i've just spoke to him and i might be able to sort something out here, so i will get in touch with avalon first as i've just been told how to get round the import and duty fees he also said the americans knock big chuncks off for multiple buys. second option is to get one of his mates to buy them over there personally with a big dose of name dropping to reduce costs and send them over as used goods. i will keep you informed mr stoakes and anybody else interested

Good lad.

It's Brian at Avalon Motorsport. Have had a few emails with him recently... A nice fella. Sent me some wide body B5 S4 saloon pics (with Team Dynamic wheels)...

most of teh US guys are happy to mark down the customs statement.
I just bought $800 of stuff and they marked it as $100 value, $100 shipping.
15% VAT and a handling charge came to £19. bargain!

I think S4, RS4 and 1.8Tquattro sports all came with 29 front and 15 rear. 17mms rear was a 'heavy duty size' for the Rs4 but nobody I know has ever found a RS4 with that on .

On my B6 I upgraded to a 17mms ( iirc) rear from 15 (?) and it made a noticable difference to the handling -- I was really surprised! This was in the days before the B7 RS4 appeared with an even larger size ( 21?) and Audi UK quickly increased the prices as everybody was buying factory bars , they were cheap - I paid £38 +vat for mine !!

All sports had a 29mm front too.

FWD cars dont have rear bars, but all quattros have a 15mm rear. The 17mm bar was a quattro gmbh option for the rear, but theres no part numbers etc listed in vagcat.

I really dont get why all these companies insist on giving huge front arb upgrades, on a platform that really doesnt need the front to be any stiffer!

The B7 RS4 was/is a 22mm bar. The B6 S4 was/is a 21mm bar. The lesser B6 models I believe had 19mm bars.

The B7 ARB 'upgrade' was cheap (c£70) and made a massive difference to handling. Really noticeably flatter through curves with much much less understeer.

A well-worth mod.

I have the Hotchkis ARB's and bought them through Jessie at lightening performance.

He was very helpful.

I think the H&R bars are slightly thinner but maybe they are more solid than the Hotchkis if people claim they are stiffer.

most of teh US guys are happy to mark down the customs statement.
I just bought $800 of stuff and they marked it as $100 value, $100 shipping.
15% VAT and a handling charge came to £19. bargain!

shhhhhhhh!!! the customs man might be reading this......lol

ha, customs can't read!!

[QUOTE

I think the H&R bars are slightly thinner but maybe they are more solid than the Hotchkis if people claim they are stiffer.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a metallurgist but it depends on the type of steel and what heat treatment it has, apparently.

So you could have a smaller diameter bar, but stiffer material = less roll.

My local dealer looked at the parts for the 17mms GmbH option bar and told me that he doubted that they'd be helpful without a correct chassis number AND last time he tried to get a part out of GmbH ( for a legit reason not an A4 upgrade !! ) it took months and months !!
Oh and you could quadruple the normal prices !!

a little update regarding the hotchkis extreme kit, for a multiple buy the first quote i've had for 5+kits is $400 or £247ish@ current exchange rate + shipping which wont be too much as he said items under $500 are a lot cheaper for him to send and minimal duty applied this end possibly £10 ish i will have to confirm shipping costs and look into option 2 of them being bought in person over there.. i will keep on the case

the difference with some roll bars are some of them are hollow and some solid from what i've read hence thinner bars can be stiffer than thick ones sometimes

Keep at it!
At £250 + £10-ish duty + shipping at £?? I'm interested.

Not sure how long/much it would cost to fit though...?

This sounds good, i'd definately be interested!

Only took me 40 minutes when I did the B6 quattro, and that included dropping the rear part of the exhausts ( easier to slide the bars in/out around the rear suspension).
You do need the weight of the vehicle on the suspension when you do up all the various nuts -- I used some shallow ramps to achieve this, also made more room underneath !! )

Only took me 40 minutes when I did the B6 quattro, and that included dropping the rear part of the exhausts ( easier to slide the bars in/out around the rear suspension).
You do need the weight of the vehicle on the suspension when you do up all the various nuts -- I used some shallow ramps to achieve this, also made more room underneath !! )

shallow ramps are on my to do list. i have the metal and welder here, i was gonna make some that have a gentle slope but twice as long as normal one's and 6-9" higher

Count me in for a group buy on those Hotchkis bars, was near the top of my next to buy list, but a spot of jiggling can move them up a bit, just what I was after! Likin the subframe support brackets, a definate must do by the sounds of it!