** Guys help, A45 AMG or Audi S3?!**

wko7

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post here and COULD be one of many!

I'm torn between either purchasing a brand new Mercedes A45 AMG or Audi S3. Now i'll be placing an order for one of these but can't make up my mind. I've had a great offer from Mercedes Sheffield after using carwow (almost 15% off discount) considering I've specked the car up to almost everything - commandonline, aero pack, night pack, HK, pano roof, performance exhaust, premium etc! The current deal is just around £38,000.

For the Audi S3 I also have almost every spec including pan roof, keyless go, new dynamic front+rear indicators (laser lights) and virtual cockpit and these two spec are really really drawing me to S3! I've also got parking sensors rear and front hopefully, HB assist, BandO sound system, privacy glass and dimming and folding mirrors. There are a couple more but too long to write.
The price I've had for that is around £35,000 but will try to get a bit more off (currently have almost 13% off).
Also I've got current stranded 18inch alloys but do you think I should go for MAG ride but does that mean I'll have to upgrade to 19inch?

Now I've had info from the Mec forum and I think it's time I get your take on it. I've been told the S3 is the most stolen car in the UK, this sort of worries me and sort of doesn't as I'll be getting keyless go and whether this makes it an easier target will be interesting. The current S3 at the moment to me is quite bland even though I like it but if I had to choose out of these two which to go for it will be the AMG (at this moment in time). Since I'll be placing a new order from factory with the new FL version of the S3 coming next year I would it seems prefer to purchase that.

Please be fair and honest with your assessment of the S3.

Thanks

Yes, less S3's on the road the better :laughing:

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally, Rob2k68 and 4 others
My S3 is due soon but would much prefer an A45, my S3 is around £29k where's the A45 I wanted was £39k...bit of a difference. Huge fan of the A45 (even though I've rejected two Mercs in one year). Maybe next time.

Its just as pinchable as the S3, just more S3's sold.

Just to be clear, the FL is out now and the A45 has only just seen a FL in the last six months......you seen the price of the PETRONAS version, crazy! Why not wait and have a look at the FL RS3 when it arrives?

Thought I'd put the saving in to some new Naim seperates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordo77
You can only get the A45 AMG in one style (5 door) and auto only... That's enough for me to not give it a second look.

Also, I see they are still fitting the 10 digit keypad on the dash... really!!!! :wtf:

Dsc 3676

My S3 is due soon but would much prefer an A45, my S3 is around £29k where's the A45 I wanted was £39k...bit of a difference. Huge fan of the A45 (even though I've rejected two Mercs in one year). Maybe next time.

Its just as pinchable as the S3, just more S3's sold.

Just to be clear, the FL is out now and the A45 has only just seen a FL in the last six months......you seen the price of the PETRONAS version, crazy! Why not wait and have a look at the FL RS3 when it arrives?

Thought I'd put the saving in to some new Naim seperates.

I won't be after the personas version unfortunately, like you said crazy price they are! I'm not keen in the RS3 tbh as I sort of feel I want a 3 door rather 5 door hatchback( coming from an 5 door A1). Plus the power difference from A1 to S3 might be enough rather than A1 to A45. I've got a test drive with the A45 this weekend so hopefully it helps with the decisions but both cars to me are great and insurance is also playing a small factor.

Head says A45 but heart says S3!:(

Hate the merc dash with the stuck on screen

Reactions: Reznor, pat15312, Daveotto and 3 others
Dash is terrible

Reactions: Nikon, pat15312, SpeedyFrog and 1 other person
The A Class (inc the A45) shares certain instruments with the Infinity hatchback, the interior is not that of a £40k car, I agree.

Sounds a lot better than the S3 though IMO, which is/was a draw...

Reactions: Jassyo06
Dash in the Merc is horrid. Not a fan of any dash that is still full of buttons out of the 90s.
Go S3.

310 v 381 BHP. In real world driving are you going to notice the extra in the Merc??

Also, the Merc is claustrophobic to be in compared to the A3/S3

Reactions: Daveotto
I won't be after the personas version unfortunately, like you said crazy price they are! I'm not keen in the RS3 tbh as I sort of feel I want a 3 door rather 5 door hatchback( coming from an 5 door A1). Plus the power difference from A1 to S3 might be enough rather than A1 to A45. I've got a test drive with the A45 this weekend so hopefully it helps with the decisions but both cars to me are great and insurance is also playing a small factor.

Head says A45 but heart says S3!:(

The A45 doesn't come in a 3 door, you'll love the noise, that's for sure.

How about the M240 or M140? Or the Focus RS (really horrible interior though IMO).

If you are looking at spending £38k you are spoilt for choice, BMW will give you £6.5k off a 440i for instance, £5k off a 335d.

Last edited:
How about the M240 or M140? Or the Focus RS (really horrible interior though IMO).

If you are looking at spending £38k you are spoilt for choice, BMW will give you £6.5k off a 440i for instance, £5k off a 335d.

I'll be honest, I'm not a massive fan of BMW cars. Where I live I see so many chavs driving 1 series and old style 3 series with private plates so no one knows the age and it makes me despise them more. I only like the M4 convertible and i8, apart from that I probably would never get one! Plus I'm quite young so insurance etc won't be that great, even though I've had ' decent' quotes for these two cars.

I've not considered the focus RS and won't as it's a car that just does not interest me, thanks for the suggestions though.

The A45 doesn't come in a 3 door, you'll love the noise, that's for sure.

I know but the I'm willing to forget it on this occasion if i go for it but still not sure...

I'll be honest, I'm not a massive fan of BMW cars. Where I live I see so many chavs driving 1 series and old style 3 series with private plates so no one knows the age and it makes me despise them more. I only like the M4 convertible and i8, apart from that I probably would never get one! Plus I'm quite young so insurance etc won't be that great, even though I've had ' decent' quotes for these two cars.

I've not considered the focus RS and won't as it's a car that just does not interest me, thanks for the suggestions though.

Crikey you're only 19! What are you, some kind of lower league wendy ball player/drug dealer or electrician?

Fair enough, honestly though, the noise of the A45 is great, my Mrs said she didn't like the AeroASBO pack but I like it, the build quality though IMO isn't up to much and doesn't command the price tag overall. I also think this car will grab more unwanted attention than an S3.

I drove an A45, M240i and the S3, all things considered I preferred the S3, seemed I was getting more for my money and that's why I went for it.

Last edited:
Never understand these sorts of posts. Fair enough if someone's doing research but this is literally an Audi vs Merc "tell me what to buy" thread. No doubt the Merc forum suggested the Merc and overall we are going to suggest the Audi - otherwise why would anyone here own one? :D

Not being harsh, it's just pointless to compare a car in that way. Wouldn't you be better off asking what the pros and cons of the S3 are and then doing the same on the Merc forum for the A45? Just a thought.

Reactions: cuke2u, lfcrule1972, Jcbmally and 3 others
Well believe it or not, I'm in a Golf R at the moment, and I was close to making a move for the A45 until I found out the negative equity situation I'm in due to the market being flooded with cheap leased Rs. The A45 with night and aero pack in my opinion looks awesome. Nice and bold! It looks as aggressive as a performance hatch back should. Great discounts on them, I was offered 12.83% via car wow Grimsby. But 15%, wow.

I'd even consider an S3 but I see loads on the road here in Edinburgh, and once in a blue moon a 45. I'd just worry with the S3 it doesn't have the drama.

I specced my Golf R with a pano roof and pretoria wheels. Spent a good 600 on an Oettinger spoiler, looks great, but I since day one have always regretted not getting no dsg. Won't make that same mistake again. Spend as much as you are willing to on the best spec possible.

A45 for me. Do it

Be very sure about what you want as the 2 cars are night and day for me (I have tried the Merc)

S3 - looks more classy (Saloon), better interior (Although contrary to popular belief, after 6 months the build quality is so so), common as muck though in Northamptonshire !
A45 - bit more chavvy, Not as nice interior, on the plus side, its a better car to drive (After its facelift)

As for the extra power making no real world difference. Of course it does otherwise stuff the S3 and get the 190 TFSI (Possibly eliminating some of the S3's issues)

At that price A45 every day of the week.
The facelift has made that a brilliant car to drive.

Never understand these sorts of posts. Fair enough if someone's doing research but this is literally an Audi vs Merc "tell me what to buy" thread. No doubt the Merc forum suggested the Merc and overall we are going to suggest the Audi - otherwise why would anyone here own one? :D

Not being harsh, it's just pointless to compare a car in that way. Wouldn't you be better off asking what the pros and cons of the S3 are and then doing the same on the Merc forum for the A45? Just a thought.

Yes, agree with this. Threads like this are usually just posted because the OP wants users to justify the reasons behind going for one option or the other. On an Audi forum you are unlikely to get an overwhelming majority of people saying "go for the Merc"...!

Reactions: S3 Turbo and Jassyo06
The S3 YOU want is a £44k car that's with most of the toys magride etc...etc....the Merc WAY FASTER......and has as much Chavness....as Katy price's G-Strings....so your looking at £38k ish for the right S3....after discount,or push your budget and buy one of the last RS3's that are available...there's still a few going but very little discount....yeah RS3 Is your car buddy.....Sandra Bullocks to the Merc.....

Reactions: Daytonapig

or a 430 xdrive with a car wow discount...100 bhp down on the 34AMG but power is not everything

Confucius says....Big Discounts on new cars....ergo ****** up neg equity.....via PCP deals......

sssshhhhhhhh Beemers are ugly... apparently

Reactions: S3 Turbo, SpeedyFrog and Jassyo06
The dash in the Merc is :puke2:and the aero pack is chavtastic!

Reactions: 4K, pburv, WarwickL and 2 others
Each to their own though, S3 is very under the radar but not all people like that. But too safe for me, and think the S3 would benefit from a bigger spoiler and a slightly more aggressive stance

Each to their own though, S3 is very under the radar but not all people like that. But too safe for me, and think the S3 would benefit from a bigger spoiler and a slightly more aggressive stance

Why the hell have you one order then...lol

Reactions: Daytonapig

your not going to a have easy relationship with S3 then mate trust....me

Reactions: rasA4
Why the hell have you one order then...lol

I don't lol. That was binned off a good 6 months ago. It's a cracking motor do t get me wrong, would love to be in the s3 if you could fit some aftermarket body styling like you can with the R. Oettinger do lots of cracking spoilers and side skirts that just make it that bit beefier, without looking chavvy or Halfords esq.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I don't lol. That was binned off a good 6 months ago. It's a cracking motor do t get me wrong, would love to be in the s3 if you could fit some aftermarket body styling like you can with the R. Oettinger do lots of cracking spoilers and side skirts that just make it that bit beefier, without looking chavvy or Halfords esq.

so how far are you away from chopping the Golf R in without being in Neg Eq..

so how far are you away from chopping the Golf R in without being in Neg Eq..

See...this is my problem. 3 months ago I was offered a deal that would see me walk away having it wiped it's nose. But second thoughts so I binned of the S3. Now, having had a quote for an A45 that I thought I was going to pounce on, I was offered a ridiculous figure due to the market being flooded with all these cheap leased Rs. Outstanding balance of 23,900. I was offered 21,500. So somehow im worse of having three more months under my belt...go figure!

Speaking to a lad on the R forum, he was offered 3 months ago 1300 more than I've been offered a few days ago, for an older and higher mileaged R! The figures have plummeted. I have a 3 year pcp and was told a GfV of 18k lol, if is only 21,500 with 18k miles on the clock after 16 months, how the hell it will it be worth only 3500 less than what I've been offered now in 20 months. nobody knows!!!

I think the S3 being very under the radar is what attracts a lot of people to it in the first place. Stick an ugly spoiler on it and see the sales take a hit in one fell swoop... Very few cars benefit from added silly appendages of any sorts i.e. spoilers, skirts and what not whether for looks or performance when using such cars on public roads. If it's a track car only by all means make it a race car but a subtle under the radar car like a S3 leave it alone that's what make the car attractive in the first place! :)

Reactions: Matt Titanium, lfcrule1972, rasA4 and 5 others
The build quality of the A Class is shizzle so I wouldn't touch one with yours lol.

Crikey you're only 19! What are you, some kind of lower league wendy ball player/drug dealer or electrician?

Fair enough, honestly though, the noise of the A45 is great, my Mrs said she didn't like the AeroASBO pack but I like it, the build quality though IMO isn't up to much and doesn't command the price tag overall. I also think this car will grab more unwanted attention than an S3.

I drove an A45, M240i and the S3, all things considered I preferred the S3, seemed I was getting more for my money and that's why I went for it.

That's what I'm hoping the test drive makes up my mind tomorrow so we'll see, glad you went for the S3! ;) When you say unwanted attention do you mean the wrong kind of people coming into my life or generating the jealous kind of people and making them wanting to wreck it etc?

I try not to let age get in the way of having fun and going up things correctly, but just be doing a lot of saving up from work! :D

That's my main with the post tbh, if you have either car what are the pro's and cons to it?

What is the ride like, do you get unwanted attention from people you don't want, is the MGP decent depending on the drive and most importantly what is the noise like on either? I want crackles and pops on upshifts and downshifts ;)

Well believe it or not, I'm in a Golf R at the moment, and I was close to making a move for the A45 until I found out the negative equity situation I'm in due to the market being flooded with cheap leased Rs. The A45 with night and aero pack in my opinion looks awesome. Nice and bold! It looks as aggressive as a performance hatch back should. Great discounts on them, I was offered 12.83% via car wow Grimsby. But 15%, wow.

I'd even consider an S3 but I see loads on the road here in Edinburgh, and once in a blue moon a 45. I'd just worry with the S3 it doesn't have the drama.

I specced my Golf R with a pano roof and pretoria wheels. Spent a good 600 on an Oettinger spoiler, looks great, but I since day one have always regretted not getting no dsg. Won't make that same mistake again. Spend as much as you are willing to on the best spec possible.

A45 for me. Do it

Thankyou so much for you reply, much appreciated!

I do like the look of the Golf R but like you said they are so common and I'm not a massive fan of the interior. Talking about the discount I know it seems many people on the A class forum also said it was a great offer. I defo will spec which ever carI choose to the point where I can't no more (obviously within budget) but looking forward to whichever decision I make.

Reactions: FBF01
I think the S3 being very under the radar is what attracts a lot of people to it in the first place. Stick an ugly spoiler on it and see the sales take a hit in one fell swoop... Very few cars benefit from added silly appendages of any sorts i.e. spoilers, skirts and what not whether for looks or performance when using such cars on public roads. If it's a track car only by all means make it a race car but a subtle under the radar car like a S3 leave it alone that's what make the car attractive in the first place! :)

Finally, some sense......:iagree:

Reactions: lfcrule1972 and pburv