Guide to De-Wipering the rear??

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Hi there i know alot of you guys are against this, But i want to do this to my A3.

Ive tryed searching and couldnt find anything significant that would help.

Just thought some-one on here may have done it and could possibly explain to me how to do it??

Cheers

I've done it. Dead easy.

To be honest don't miss the wiper either, the missus has a BMW Coupe so that also has no rear wiper, so its normal now.

Venom Motorsport do a rear wiper blanking kit, which is a piece of black glass that fits into the hole on a Mk4 golf, and fits into the Audi hole with about 0.5mm worth of sanding on the outside edge.

Thing is, the glass insert is £20!!! All it is is a piece of black smoked glass that matches the black glass in the rear screen, with a slightly larger piece of clear glass attached on the back.

The kit also comes with glass adhesive.

When fitted you can see it, but as its glass its way less obvious than most other solutions.

The other, MUCH cheaper option is to buy a plastic grommet from the dealers, which is about £2, and glue it in using clear silicon sealant.

You pay's your money, makes your choice so to speak.

As for the actual process, you remove two screws where the handle is on the hatch fascia, and pull hard, the fascia will come away.

You then flip up the rear wiper cover on the outisde of the car, and remove the wiper.

Then undo the 4 screws on the rear wiper motor, release the power and water connections.

Cable tie the power, and bend over then bind up the water tube so it cant squirt any water.

Do your hole filling by methods described above and re-attach fascia.

I think Sitrials S3 is de-wipered, sure it was his i was looking around at GTI Spring Festival. Maybe worth a PM.
Must say i thought about doing this but opted for a smooth rear wiper instead.

I'm not too sure what you mean about de-wipering but to remove the wiper arm and the motor is fairly simple, undo the screws in the inside of the boot door, I think there are only 2 to the right if I remember. Once they are both undone pull evenly on the plastic cowling and it should pop out some of the clips may get stuck in the cowl and some in the actual door but make sure they are all in the cowl before putting it back on.

Close the boot and pop off the cap on the wiper arm, undo the nut a fair amount but not all the way, try and loosen the wiper arm, undo the nut fully now on the wiper arm spindle, pull on the wiper arm if it doesnt come out easily or is getting stuck on the seal tap the spindle gently and it should just pop out. Then remove the hose and connector from the motor unit (the hose shouldnt leak but just in case be careful) then undo the 3 nuts on the motor and it should just pull out. I think thats everything, was a while ago I did it, but then I swapped out my motor for a new one not removed it completly.

Im pretty sure this will just leave a hole in the bottom of your window though so you'd need to fill it. I hope that helps!

Cheers Dave you've been great today you seen to know everything i ask! hehe.

I would most probably go the wiper bung route, i 'll have a go this weekend at doing it.

Is there a link to the Venom motorsport bit of replacement glass? Couldnt find it on their site.

Cheers

I only found out Venom stocked it because I was asking if they had any plastic grommets.

I 'did' have pictures on my phone but I seem to have deleted those.

It was a very expensive piece of glass, and pretty much non reversible due to the adhesive so not for everyone.

I hate paying people for things I could be doing myself, and used to work for a proper motorsport company so its accumulated knowledge...

Fair enough mate i'm going to try this, this weekend i'll ditch the £20 bit of glass idea i think!

Dave who did you used to work for? I used to race a lot my self only stopped last year due to funds and that, Had a few Formula Ford test drives and competed in the Super1 National championships. I love motor-sport it just costs so much!

Jason

yes i did mine using bike parts... hold on before you say anything!
its a headset cap with a rubber seal and blanking plug so you can't see the allen bolt wihich is held on by a nut with some tabs welded on so it doesn't pull through, it works a treat and its water tight!
did think of buying a glass blank as mentioned above but this way i can easily remove and put my wiper back on for the winter!

i have found when driving in the rain that road spray is now attracted to my rear window! so motorways in the rain is no sight out the back window!

Done mine a while ago also, very easy indeed

i used a 20mm rubber grommet in mine so i can easily put it back on when it comes to selling etc..
grommet fits a treat, didnt use silicon or anything and it doesnt leak at all and you can hardly notice it, i would spend £20 on a piece of black glass that you have to glue in!

Ash