Guide: The definitive 2009- LED Facelift

PH1L

Gievf Buckets
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Since this is becoming quite a nuisance and others are unable to use the search feature here is the lowdown on the 2009 LED Headlight facelift including electrics (from a 2004 8p chassis onwards to 2008), thanks to NHN and all the others who assisted along the way, This has been quite an expensive little conversion so if you find this info in any way useful feel free to buy us a beer ;)

Any questions keep them in the thread I don’t like repeating myself 1 million times, any clarifications etc I can answer via pm

Firstly this conversion is a lot of money to complete the approximate total cost is £3000-£5000 if you are paying to have this completed properly and depending on the configuration that your car is currently in.

If you are completing all of the work yourself and are purchasing used parts then you should be able to get it all done for just short of £2000.

If you’re still up for it the nitty gritty starts here ;)

Parts Required:

Facelift front panel (radiator surround)
Facelift crash bar complete with mounts and polystyrene insert
New headlight washers
Facelift bumper and grill
Facelift wings and fitting kits
Facelift headlight brackets
Facelift headlights ballasts and bulbs
Under engine and front wing arch covers
Central electrics unit – P/N 8P0 907 279 K
Xenon Leveller unit - P/N 4L0 907 357
Wing mirrors complete with indicators (my 10 dumbos or my11)
Door modules: P/N 8P0 959 801 M (Drivers) / P/N 8P0 959 802 M (Passengers)
Bonnet release cable

The work – Note this guide is not a step by step process it only documents the required modifications in order to tweak your vehicle to the new parts
First step is obviously to strip the front end of all body panels
Next is to begin by fitting the front panel, depending on the stack of tolerances in your cars chassis you may need to reposition the captive nut underneath the skin of your inner wing of your chassis
Once this is complete you should be able to bolt down the front panel, crash bar and re-house your radiator.

The wings as we all know by now are a completely different fit in that they mount in 3 places as opposed to 4; the following detail is in my opinion the most OEM looking solution,
Take the largest bracket from your fitting kit and rivet it to the centre mount on your wing, use this as a preset to adjust the remaining brackets to suit your chassis, once you have the wing sitting level and flush with your door I recommend that you drill and tap the centre bracket hole to suit its position, I then used some button head torx screws painted to my chassis colour to fill in the old bracket holes. Once both wings are fitted then you can complete assembling the front end as per ETKA / Elsawin

Now for the fitting of the mirrors, Note that I wouldn’t recommend using mirrors from the wrong door version i.e. 3 door mirrors for a 3door car

These will require your new door modules to be fitted and you to rewire your door card as per the wiring schematics in Elsawin, note if you have puddle lighting some of the earths will require joining this involves almost completely removing all the wire tape from the loom so its best to have some of it to hand.
If anyone does want to add part numbers etc please post them as a replay and mods or myself will add them in.

I will follow up with pictures detailing the fitting of the wings vs. the OEM.

Reactions: MrWhItEwOlF, klik and ~RS~
My codings of ce and xenon leveller

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 8P0-907-279-30-H.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 907 279 K HW: 8P0 907 279 K
Component: Bordnetz-SG H54 2501
Revision: 00H54000 Serial number: 00000008169983
Coding: F58E5F17A014100000000000000000000008EE175A06001E000000000000

Address 55: Xenon Range Labels: 4F0-910-357.lbl
Part No SW: 4L0 910 357 A HW: 4L0 907 357
Component: AFS 1 H01 0030
Revision: 00000001 Serial number:
Coding: 0000028
Shop #: WSC 06443 128 44669
VCID: 2A5F45D185E436E

Part No: 7L6 941 329 B
Component: AFS-Modul links H03 0004

Component: AFS-Modul rechtsH03 0004

Reactions: klik and ~RS~
It should be noted that you will also need facelift bonnet hinges along with spacers to suit the wings approx 3-4mm thick if i recall

Hi mate :)

Now, I bought an S-line front bumper + S3 grill + both wings + front panel ( plastic thing ) + led headlightds .. We are cool till here :)

do we HAVE TO buy that one; Facelift crash bar complete with mounts and polystyrene insert OR can we shape the crash bar by trimming a bit like we do when fitting the S3 bumper?

According to your answer I'll buy the crush bar.. Anyone may help here?

Second question; I have halogens right now, I'm going for leds, I got the led headlights; which adaptor should I use? Any direct link or picture or website? LEt me know the answers please :)

Thanks!

the design is different so i would reccommend the new crash bar, trimming of the polystyrene wouldnt be too bad to reuse the old but the relative cost is negligable

for the headlights i would buy a plug from audi and repin and wire in the sensors, kill two birds with one stone effectively, be the cheapest way there is only 16 pins after all, if not that then the kufatec bixenon adapter will suffice

In order to be a guide hopefully;

Any part numbers of the part? Or how should I search it on ebay?

And any wire scheme in order to adapt it :D ?

you can get the wiring diagrams from elsawin, the plugs id have to check in etka, there isnt a lot of change really you just pin in the level sinsors and repin the plug if i recall, luckily mine was there from factory :)

yea, I wish I was lucky that much :p :)

PArt numbers would be really great! :)

BTW; is it a S-LINE bumper?

Audi A3 8P Frontstoßstange PDC Modell 2009 Facelift

Teilenr: 8P0 807 437 H

This is the same one that I bought but could not be if its an s-line or not :s

Hi im new so might sound stupid but im in the process of repairing a car so thought id do this conversion as i had some parts available, with the 2010 halogen lights, do the need coding aswell? or just repining or use of a kufatech adapter.. and i thought it was 10 pin from 2003>08 to 14pin for 08>2012 cars.

i cant recall as i only upgraded from adaptive bixenon to LED adaptive bixenon, they will need coding a central electrics unit and a xenon leveller unit at a minimum

Cheers PH1L, i recieved headlights in the post today, £32 off ebay and thought i'd check how different the connections are, so i plugged them in and turned the switch and they worked :huh:, The car is a 2003 1.6 SE, the side lights dont work though, dunno if its a bulb or what?!

Should the LEDS re-coding?

MY car is getting done in a few days and I'll need my deadlights at nights! :)

If yes, could you please give me some deails or codes?

code as i have above, if you have the ce unit i listed put that in and goto one of the bytes that has headlight type in it and code it for led with bixenon

alright mate, just a quick one... the headlight washers, i have checked etka and seen that they are listed as a different part number for the facelift model... how much difference is there and are they definitely needed to be changed if facelifting or can the original prefacelift ones be reused? i am just summing up the options of a facelift and if its worth it.

I started the conversion about two years ago and have still never finished it due to time commitments... Therefore I'm considering having a friend split it as its easier then selling in its current work needed state

Reason this has come about is because that I finally after a year of having a 8p0 907 279 k went to fit it today, to have my light sensor not work with the new module, still have indicator errors (though they work etc) and will probably take me another 6 months to get round to repinning the plugs!

Therefore the K module is up for sale as of today once I work out what it's worth, as I fitted the A back onto the car... Door modules and full front end conversion etc will come after!

Reason for this post is to those considering the conversion, either make sure you have the bits from the start, plenty of time available, money for those extra bits you didn't realise, and access to wiring schematics... Or be well off enough (and I'd probably say stupid enough) to pay a garage to do it all for you! Considering you could probably just sell your car and buy a facelift model for the price a garage would charge!

I started the conversion about two years ago and have still never finished it due to time commitments... Therefore I'm considering having a friend split it as its easier then selling in its current work needed state

Reason this has come about is because that I finally after a year of having a 8p0 907 279 k went to fit it today, to have my light sensor not work with the new module, still have indicator errors (though they work etc) and will probably take me another 6 months to get round to repinning the plugs!

I have also had this light sensor issue. It's due to not having the newish version. You'll have to change it to get it working again.

hi im new to the forum , ive been asked to look at a Audi A3 2008 (58 plate)

i ve had an audi a3 dropped off which has had most of the conversion done BUT

the body controller is the earlier type (8P0 907 279 N) has what 10 smaller plugs the car is a 58 plate. All the information on here i can find is for the later body controller with the 3 big plugs

i feel that i might have to a half way house , have drl's + side to ignition and put shutter motor to high beam and get the right switch for inside the car (owner has bought late switch and blew 2 up )

if anybody has got any information i'd be most gratefull

Thanks

John

Is there a step by step guide to doing this ? I can't seem to access Phil's thread on vagoc :(

I have a 2009 facelift with DRL's but not the LED ones....Can I just replace them with the LED ones without coding etc? I'm also getting rather confused with the control modules, ballasts etc as the headlamps I have bought come without.

Firstly the headlights you have won't fit straight in as you need a wiring adapter. the ones on your car have a 10pin plug on the back and the LED ones have a 14 pin plug... the adapter can be bought from Kufatec: Xenon/HID Headlights - Adapter- Audi A3 8P & 8PA Facelift-36752_M

secondly you would need to code them in once fitted otherwise the car won't power them up correctly and will result in errors.

Thirdly the module is the unit that connects up the headlights to the car, with the wrong (lowline) module you won't be able to upgrade to the LED DRL headlights but most 2009+ cars i have seen are capable of taking the LED DRL headlights.
The ballasts are the power boxes that light up the new xenon bulb in the newer headlights which you will also need, without these the bulbs won't light up. The ones you have in the car would be halogen lights so don't have a need for ballasts.

hope that answers your questions

Thanks Ash187, that does help a lot. Unfortunately, it seems too much for me to do!

Any idea what the headlights are worth (as a pair or single) without the control module and ballast?

Thanks

I'm based in Birmingham.

No bulbs, condition of them is very good, no crack or broken brackets

Really? I would have expected a lot less!

Do you fit them? If so, how much would you charge if I had all the bits?

does anyone have a number for the fitting kit for the wings?

Hi... can someone tell me if I can put the headlights in the picture in this thread on a Audi a3 sports 1.4tfsi 2010... Thanks in advance...

My codings of ce and xenon leveller

Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 8P0-907-279-30-H.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 907 279 K HW: 8P0 907 279 K
Component: Bordnetz-SG H54 2501
Revision: 00H54000 Serial number: 00000008169983
Coding: F58E5F17A014100000000000000000000008EE175A06001E000000000000

Address 55: Xenon Range Labels: 4F0-910-357.lbl
Part No SW: 4L0 910 357 A HW: 4L0 907 357
Component: AFS 1 H01 0030
Revision: 00000001 Serial number:
Coding: 0000028
Shop #: WSC 06443 128 44669
VCID: 2A5F45D185E436E

Component: AFS-Modul links H03 0004

Component: AFS-Modul rechtsH03 0004

Hiya

Having an issue with my xenon range control since fitting facelift front end on my 54 audi a3 3.2

My car previously had the single stage xenons and I can see the two sensors on front + rear left wishbones.

Do i need to replace both sensors and module or would replacing the module only suffice? Kind regards