Guide - How to fit a catch can and simplify the PCV system

Right, I finally got around to doing this mod this weekend, was reasonably straight forward thanks to Westy's excellent guide. Only one question, I need a one way valve for the brake hose off the end of the mani (BAM engine), the ID of the hose looks to be 12mm, would this do the job: Marine Non Return Valve. 12mm (One Way). Good Quality. Boat | eBay

I can't find any others that look a decent quality, where have you chaps sourced yours from?

[Dave B];1942909 said:
Right, I finally got around to doing this mod this weekend, was reasonably straight forward thanks to Westy's excellent guide. Only one question, I need a one way valve for the brake hose off the end of the mani (BAM engine), the ID of the hose looks to be 12mm, would this do the job: Marine Non Return Valve. 12mm (One Way). Good Quality. Boat | eBay

I can't find any others that look a decent quality, where have you chaps sourced yours from?

You don't need a 1 way valve mate its already fitted to the S3 see the posts further up the thread

You don't need a 1 way valve mate its already fitted to the S3 see the posts further up the thread

Really? I've read the thread about 5 times and there seems to be some contradicting info, I suppose I could just whack the pipe back on and try the brakes.....whilst going slowly of course....

[Dave B];1943274 said:
Really? I've read the thread about 5 times and there seems to be some contradicting info, I suppose I could just whack the pipe back on and try the brakes.....whilst going slowly of course....

Never fitted one on mine and the brakes did not change at all.

My brakes work fine too and had my catch can fitted for about 8 months. So yup connect up the pipe and your good to go :)

Sorry for being dense.
But what's the difference? Apart from £1.50 :laugh:
-Callum.

From the context of your question and the link to a catch thats suggesting its for a car other than an Audi the assumption was that your were asking 'is this catch can for an other car ok to use on my Audi'

In answer to your original question on the face of it there is no reason I can think of why the catch can you linked to wouldn't be suitable but.... with a little digging they also supply what looks to be the same catch can as an Audi one... at least if there is a small chance there are differences then at least you have bought the one that listed suitable for an Audi if for whatever reason there is an issue with the product and the vendor wants to contest it based on you buying the wrong part for your car...

For what its worth you can use a 500ml pop bottle as a catch can if you so wanted to :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: The Doctor and CMcKenzie
Fair enough. Better to be safe than sorry,
I'll just go with what it says is suitable.
Cheers Tuffty.
-Callum.

Reactions: Tim_Attard
That looks good, Russ - how have you mounted it, i.e. what to?

Erm, without sounding like a bodge job.. It isn't mounted to anything lol. Due to it being flat at the back it pushes up nicely against the battery - the cold side relocation pipe is in the way so it can't move sideways and there isn't enough play in the oil hose for it to move forwards or backwards....

To secure it a bit more you could put some Velcro strips on the battery (or if you're lucky enough to have a battery cover) and attach it that way?

Has to be something that's removal able as I can't empty it in it's current location, but when it's only to clips to undo it's not that bad.

right ive looked thru this thread countless times and still cant figure this out! i want too get rid of my pcv system have ordered 2m 19mm oil hose 2 90 degree 19mm connectors and a 19mm t piece i want too vent it too atmos so no catch can. its on a bam engine and trottaly confused with the brake booster part am i right in thinking that i can just use a bit of the new pipe and go from the servo hard line straight too the inlet and thats that? also if im venting too atmos do i block off the tip where the hockey puck used too connect and do i just go straight from cam cover down too bottom of the car or wherever i vent too and do i go from the bit beside the oil filter straight too the ground aswell? tottaly confused

if im venting too atmos do i block off the tip where the hockey puck used too connect and do i just go straight from cam cover down too bottom of the car or wherever i vent too

I believe so :yes:

I'm sure someone will be along to either correct me and/or help you with your other queries- that is if those questions haven't been answered earlier on in this thread dude.

ok dude hopefully someone knows for sure about the crank breather then! because going by the diagram on page 3 it looks as tho if you go go too catch can you go from cam cover too t piece with the crank breather then too catch can? so im guessing i can just do that but go straight too atmos instead

ok dude hopefully someone knows for sure about the crank breather then! because going by the diagram on page 3 it looks as tho if you go go too catch can you go from cam cover too t piece with the crank breather then too catch can? so im guessing i can just do that but go straight too atmos instead

Yup you can do that but you will end up putting quite a lot of gunky oily goop where you run the vent pipe to.

Use the MS paint pic I amended as that's the basic guide. So yeah brake booster fits straight onto inlet manifold and others are blocked off. then its basically just a big T of hose wark to connect rocker cover oil filter housing and run to catch can (if fitting one)

Yup you can do that but you will end up putting quite a lot of gunky oily goop where you run the vent pipe to.

Use the MS paint pic I amended as that's the basic guide. So yeah brake booster fits straight onto inlet manifold and others are blocked off. then its basically just a big T of hose wark to connect rocker cover oil filter housing and run to catch can (if fitting one)

cool man thanks for explaining that a bit better! so if i try and point the pipe too the ground and put a filter on the end of it will that be ok?

Well put it this way in this cold weather and I do a lot of short journeys my Catch Can fills up quite quickly so what ever is in there is going to heading to the road on your car even with a filter fitted.

For what it costs I would put a catch can in too as this is basically what I have on my car SQUARE BLACK OIL CATCH TANK 9mm & 15mm fittings (Crancase Breather Can) | eBay

and I mounted it too the heatshield I have on my TIP that is also available here S3 A3 Air intake heat shield open cone shield cupra r | eBay and you can see from the pic they have also mounted a catch can on it

ok no bother will get a catch can ordered did you just tighten your oil hoses down on the 15mm connectors for the catch can? i think i would just mount it too the standard airbox just now till i have a bit more money for a filter and heatshield!

Initially yes I just used the 19mm hose on the 15mm outlets and did the clip up really tight. As if you vent to atmos there is no connection to the other system so even if its not 100% sealed it wont effect the car as it isn't linked anymore.

I have since bought a length of 15mm hose and swapped the bigger hose out as its neater and I am a little OCD

Anyone know what size bung for the turbo intake pipe as I'm not putting it back into the turbo going too atmos

I used on old wheel bolt off my old MR2 which fit perfectly but don't now the size sorry

Reactions: Essexman and Adam P
[Dave B];1943274 said:

I have an A3 AUM and the brake servo (booster) pipes had splits in them causing total brake failure. I assume the S3 is different (booster goes to the other side of the inlet?) as mine is all on the battery side of the engine. I think the one way valve on mine is broken (can see daylight through it - I assume that's not right) and despite replacing the pipes the brakes still don't work (they do with the engine off!), so I'll try a new valve and see if that sorts it. Hope someone can confirm?

Aside from the above, the catch can mod is great and kudos to Westy for compiling the information.

I have an A3 AUM and the brake servo (booster) pipes had splits in them causing total brake failure. I assume the S3 is different (booster goes to the other side of the inlet?) as mine is all on the battery side of the engine. I think the one way valve on mine is broken (can see daylight through it - I assume that's not right) and despite replacing the pipes the brakes still don't work (they do with the engine off!), so I'll try a new valve and see if that sorts it. Hope someone can confirm?

Aside from the above, the catch can mod is great and kudos to Westy for compiling the information.

Might be just me that was a complete idiot..... But I put the one way valve on the wrong way, which stopped my brakes working completely when engine was on. Have you tried swapping the valve around?

Might be just me that was a complete idiot..... But I put the one way valve on the wrong way, which stopped my brakes working completely when engine was on. Have you tried swapping the valve around?

Thanks man, yeah I noticed it says motor --> so it's the right way around. I've dropped it off at my mechanic friend and he reckons there is a split brake pipe somewhere, but everywhere is dry. Need to hire a car now...got a heavily pregnant wife.

Get the hire car asap mate, ours was three weeks early !
Dave

Reactions: JudderMan
Just to note that my brake problem wasn't related to the catch can fitting, just a badly timed coincidence.

For anyone wanting to do it, here are some updated eBay things I used. I couldn't find a cheap enough 19mm catch can so made do with 15mm and reducers from 19mm piping. I mounted mine on the battery tray as above, but used velcro straps and cut some holes in the battery cover. It's tight enough anyway as the 19mm piping isn't going to bend but I just wanted it to be neat. Need to lower the can by about 3mm as it's just touching the bonnet (doh!).

19mm Oil Catch Can Kit Special Deal | eBay
SQUARE BLACK OIL CATCH TANK 9mm & 15mm fittings (Crancase Breather Can) | eBay

£50 ish and it's solved those rotten crappy pipes that are standard and cost a fortune to replace from Audi.

Brilliant thread once again doing mine Wednesday or Thursday get the engine bay tidied up a bit more.

Done it today took a couple hours cause of finding a place to mount the catch can and I snapped my dip stick removing all the piping from the oil filter but here it is. Choose to put some of the piping I've the top of the filter just cause of space ImageImage

Would anyone be able to do an updated guide? I've got a can, tubing and a T ready to get started, but don't want to whip it out (ooh er) without knowing f'sure where it all goes. I presume because I've got an vented to atmos jobby the hockey puck is no longer needed too. No worries if not, I'll put it together from this thread and re-post it back here for feedback, it will help future peeps.

Would anyone be able to do an updated guide? I've got a can, tubing and a T ready to get started, but don't want to whip it out (ooh er) without knowing f'sure where it all goes. I presume because I've got an vented to atmos jobby the hockey puck is no longer needed too. No worries if not, I'll put it together from this thread and re-post it back here for feedback, it will help future peeps.

Still the same as the original guide dude. I routed back through the hockey puck but most people run the pipe under the car and spray oily mist at bikers behind them, which isn't something I fancied doing :)

Reactions: Essexman, fanta and s3dave
Any tips on getting to the O ring? I've got my can positioned firmly now and starting to look at the pipes I need to take out, things are really tight around that area... Or do I need to remove the electrical sensors to get to it?

I'll take some photos tomorrow AM and share an open to edit guide for anyone to comment on.

Well just had to empty my catch can. Its taken just over 6weeks to fill 0.5ltrs. Is that good or bad?

Guys digging up this thread, reason being as my previous post showed that ive cracked pipes in my PCV system and will be replacing the lot with the catch can/PCV delete, i cant really see me paying over £100 for the likes of a Saikou Michi can but ive spied one on eBay for under £30, it has 15mm inlet/outlets but ive read through the thread that i can slide 15mm piping over the 19mm end of the T section, what im wondering does this item look like it should do the trick, i will obviously be replacing the clear blue hoses for marine grade oil piping.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390862676675?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Any opinions on this item appreciated, also if someone could let me know which one of the 2 lets is the inlet and outlet for the breather and from the T section.

Thanks, Steven

I reckon it's an unbaffled can, no filtration material in there, so the vapours will mostly pass through the can, largely defeating the purpose of fitting one...

Mate would it be hard to actually baffle it if it wasnt, i mean the top bolts on handy enough, case of fitting stainless steel pads as baffle material and attach a hose from the inlet down to within a few inches of the bottom of the can?

Am i getting this wrong maybe? :think: