Guide - How to fit a catch can and simplify the PCV system

Soooo .... I don't know what happened to the Group Buy thread but it's gone now. I'm sorry to the couple of members that were interested but I'm ready to buy now and not have to wait to gather a group of interested people. I'm not going to repost the group buy but I will forward the emails to someone if they want to pick it up and go with it.

what do people do who just put a filter on the rocker cover breather like this? im tempted to do it, to try an clean up my bay an remove as much as possible :/ could you just block of the oil breather on the block? plus i know some rocker covers dont even have the breathers...

img_9341_zps91d1cfe0.jpg

On the website for Saikou Michi catch tanks Saikou Michi Co. 2013 there seems to quite a few options ranging for $60 plus, which catch can is best. I was looking at the S1-OCC $85 + P&P, what do you think?

Does anyone know what the ID of the hockey puck to TIP connection is? ARY with 70mm MAF.

Will save me having to take it all off then fit it again to go buy something to plug it with :laugh:

all the catch tanks I can find on the bay are only 15mm inlet/outlet :/ can somebody point me in the right direction? cheers.

I had bought an adapter but turned out the 15mm hose would stretch over the 19mm t-piece, so I just did that as it's neater and less connections to go wrong!

i'll look into it then when I change my TIP, probably not a bad idea to do it all at the same time. Cheers guys

Ahem... Bored of waiting for the can to arrive so improvised form now, will pick up some synthetic wire wool tomorrow.

20130217143527.jpg

Great guide Westy, very easy and worthwhile.

i'm gonna be fitting a catch can soon (think original piping is starting to split) and just want to confirm that a one way valve on the servo pipe is not need for an s3?
Dan

i'm gonna be fitting a catch can soon (think original piping is starting to split) and just want to confirm that a one way valve on the servo pipe is not need for an s3?
Dan

Its already got one you are correct :)

I've vented it to the rear of the car but sometimes I get a wiff of what seems like plastic burning or something, it's not all the time but mostly when I stop.. Anyone else had this?

I've vented it to the rear of the car but sometimes I get a wiff of what seems like plastic burning or something, it's not all the time but mostly when I stop.. Anyone else had this?

What can have you fitted Gops and did you use oil grade hose, as my setup Iv never had a whiff of anything really.

Yeah all oil grade hosed. Fitted the same can as prawn from eBay. Not quite sure what it is tbh. I need to have a proper look

Gops make sure you iron out all the problems before I let you loose on mine lol!

Would doing this without a catch can And venting to the atmos cause any smoking issues on idle? Getting abit of smoke that smells of oil coming out my exhaust. A local garage think its down to the pcv delete

im going to remove all the crap pipe and come of the oil filter pipe in to a tee the of the rocker cover also in to the tee the down to the hockey puck and iver into the tip or down under the car as i cant be ***** with the tank side of things

Hi guys carnt seem to find the black pipe on eBay that u all use the oil graded one same as westys iv got blue at min and its changed colour can u help tar

I figured out what it was.. I cleaned the can with some solvent, I guess it didn't all come out so it was that which smelt! Never had a whiff off anything again! Vents to the atmosphere well so all good :)

has anyone just run the breather pipes into one and run it under the car ?

They have done but if you took it on track you would get crucified by the other track users... on the road its the motorcyclists that will suffer...

I am sure you don't need me to explain why :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: vfr800
Anyone else not see the issue when venting to tip, i have been reading up on it and cant seem to find a definitive answer. Off boost the standard setup vents through the pcv valve and to the inlet mani, on boost through the hockey puck. But on the simplified setup it has no way of venting off boost if routed to the hockey puck, only when on boost. It needs to be vented to atmosphere. Unless it runs through the small bypass in the hockey puck??

Quick question as I will be fitting mine soon. When you remove the pipe connecting to the brake booster and blank the pipe to the inlet mani. Could you not run a hose from the inlet mani to the brake booster therefore retaining pretty much the standard system or do I have it all backwards.

that looks nice andrew u show off lol, whats the 4 outlets for? wouldnt you only need 2?

Care to explain what you're up to there Andrew?

I didn't like the stuff on the market. Also running mega boost you do get more than normal blow by so more pressure in the crank case, if you have more outlets in the crank case you have less pressure

Reactions: Westy
think he wants to keep the brake booster connected, you can either blank it off or use a single bit of hose, if you have an aum then its seperate to the pcv anyway so mines still connected tbh makes no diffrence (could be wrong please correct me)