1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide - How to fit a catch can and simplify the PCV system

Westy Apr 20, 2011

1. Siondc

Siondc Learner!! Ming Blue S3 AMK

Cam cover breather and oil filter housing breather meet at t-joint, go in to catch can. Then from the catch can into hockey puck into TIP.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Siondc

There’s water and lots of yellow funk building up in the catch can

4. Erikn89nl

Erikn89nl Well-Known Member

Which size hoses have you used? What size are the in- and outlets on the can?

5. Siondc

Everything’s 19mm

6. hydro s3

hydro s3 S3 amk Team Ming Blue Audi S3

Ill have to have a look in mine and see what's in it. I haven't emptied it since it was put in. I have just been looking in the plastic veiwing tube and it's empty.

7. Siondc

I’ve been emptying mine once a week since installing it, only ever half full but mostly water with some yellow gunk. Mines not baffled but has some filtration on the outlet of the inside of the catch can.

8. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

that's what I get out of mine its just yellow emulsified gloop and water - I cannot trust the clear tube for a level, as it gets blocked up straight away.

9. hydro s3

Sounds like ill need to get mine of and see whats in mine. Hopefully not what use two have been getting in urs.
    Is that not a bad sign if its filling up that quick and with the yellow gunk and watery stuff?

10. Stuart B

probably the case for me - although early morning condensation will always create gloop, and water. I think that's the point of the catch can. although Prawn's literally filled with oil. I have only emptied mine once in 1 year.

11. Siondc

I’ve been reading and it’s pretty normal, the water comes from the blow-by when the bang happens water is produced and this condenses in the catch can. Made worst in the cold weather and if you make short journeys.

12. Avatar

13. Siondc

I hope it’s not filling up too quick, sense says that’s a sign of worn piston rings (excessive blow-by). I’ve routed mine back into the TIP, I don’t know about yours, but it could be sucking it through and filling it up quicker.

14. hydro s3

Good to know. Ill keep an eye on it especially with the colder mornings.

15. hydro s3

I vented to atmosphere

16. S3Powerxz

S3Powerxz Member

Would you tel me any good catch can to use? I read that i need baffled one, but i can't find one with 19mm inlet/outlet.

17. SHUk

SHUk Once Bitten Forever Smitten =]

I attached the vent from the oil can straight to the crank case breather and capped the intake. This resulted in the car producing a huge cloud out the exhaust... think the rings are shot =[]

18. SHUk

19. Siondc

Could be why your not filling up so much........ I hope

20. Siondc

I’ve got the one SHUk has suggested above. Good solid construction, very well made. But you have to check it at least once a week as there’s no way to tell when it’s full.

21. Stuart B

I got a chrome one fits nicely but not baffled so pointless and the only way of emptying it without removing it is by removing the gauge connectors and teasing the gloop out. all show and no go...

22. Siondc

The one I have is so easy to empty as it’s like a jam jar. It’s mounted with a bracket on the lid and the jar just unscrews from the lid, simples. I’ve mounted mine on the battery holder so easier to access than at the back of the engine bay. Only downside is there’s no way knowing how full it is other than opening it. And there’s no real baffle inside, just a semi circular filter, not the best but seems to do the job. I may put some wire wool in to see if that helps.

23. Stuart B

yeah this is mine but it is a totally sealed unit (utter junk)

catchcan.jpg

24. Siondc

That looks like a PITA to empty. But nice mounting spot. I would recommend the one I have, in the eBay link above. I’m worried about how often I have to empty mine and the smoke coming from the exhaust when in boost. I’m not sure the 2 are linked but I’m sure it only started happening after I fitted the catch can.

25. Stuart B

I know some people added a valve to try and keep negative pressure in the block and also I am unsure about my puck being straight in the TIP. but my engine puffs out of both the breathers and has done for about a year now (3000 miles) I don't think this was caused by the catch can and was probably from 7000 rpm :D and a **** ECU from eBay which was maybe knocking? - everytime I put my foot down I visualise Ian's rods :)

benders.png

26. Siondc

What power did he duck them up at? Extra long stroke ftw ha!!
    I’m using the puck , what do mean straight in the TIP? I’ve connected my puck how it was oem and I get gunk in the pipes coming from both breathers.

27. Stuart B

I just pushed the puck into the TIP connector instead of it being located at the top of the engine and horizontal, so I am unsure if it is working efficiently.

28. Siondc

The pucks just a spring and diaphragm operated by the vacuum from the TIP on boost, I wouldn’t think it’s position and orientation would efffect it efficiency. As long as it’s routed with the bottom going into TIP.

29. Stuart B

Thanks, I expect it is fine then

30. willhutson74

willhutson74 Member

please can someone take a pic 9f their 1.8 turbo agu and show me where catch can goes and where pipes run to .. using thumbnails on here as i don't have photobucket )can't afford it) or any 3rd party way of seeing pics

my engine bay is pictured below .. seems different to everyone else's on here

Attached Files:

31. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

I have edited as many of the pics as I could on the first page... you should be able to see them now... (although for how long depends on how quickly photobucket catch on)

Your engine bay is exactly the same as any other AGU engine bay... its just that everyone else's has been modified so look different

<tuffty/>

32. willhutson74

willhutson74 Member

oh!! lol .. all the pics 8 see have a weirdly small cover and hoses etc on top of engine not off to side like mine etc .. my bad

and thanks man .. you're a f...g legend

33. Avatar

34. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

I suspect you are referring to an S3 then... they are a slightly different layout to the A3

<tuffty/>

35. willhutson74

willhutson74 Member

yeah I take it that's what is in pictures as i can't work out where some of the hoses go to or come from on your pics .. cos they're not in same position as mine .. plus I don't have that silicone hose replacement you guys do .. mines factory pos pipe

36. <tuffty/>

basic principles of the PCV delete is the same across all 1.8t's... the main difference is the pipework on the inlet...

<tuffty/>

37. willhutson74

willhutson74 Member

yeah .. i don't have that splitter bit on passenger side

38. SHUk

You need 2-3m of 19mm oil hose, one pipe comes up from oil breather up towards crank case breather with a t piece on connect the abov two and send theirs to catch can, take other side of catch can up to inlet hockey puck. Simples =[]

39. willhutson74

willhutson74 Member

totally lost me .. I have 4 pipes to know what to do with and then the hockey puck

40. willhutson74

willhutson74 Member

red is pcv pipes setup
    blue is electrical wire attached to what I presume is charcoal canister (assume because every time i go onto internet and Google 1999 agu 8l 1.8t images of motor i get the same S3 pics you guys have on here !!!!

Attached Files:

41. Rainbird

Rainbird Active Member

Edit; You posted pics while I was replying, nice one.

Most of the lines you've highlighted aren't really the PCV system which folk fit the can to.

There's a breather from the crankcase (under the inlet mani), and another from the valve cover (RHS of head once you remove cover). Pull those out, route into a can then on to the TIP from there. Remove any redundant hoses, cap off where they join other systems (brake booster, EVAP if not removing it) and you're done.

42. willhutson74

willhutson74 Member

I don't have any pipes come from head only the ones shown

43. willhutson74

willhutson74 Member

what's evap