[Guide] Audi A3 8V Genuine LED Cupholder Retrofit

Fraysa

Reaction score
Hey guys!

After lurking here for a while and using the information with the helper of forum members for various project on my 2013 A3 8V, I decided to give back and write a guide. This time I'll be focusing on a rather easy retrofit which are the genuine LED cupholder lights.

This retrofit is suitable for both beginner and experienced retrofitters. The main challenge here is to divide the center console into two parts using a soldering iron because it's soldered from the factory.

So, let's get started! What we need is:
  • Genuine LED Cupholder Light Ring (Part Number 8V0947157A): I used a kit from AliExpress that comes with the connector and two wires. This was a genuine part.
  • High Quality Plastic Trim Removal Tool
  • High Quality Glue
  • Soldering Iron
1. We'll start by removing the center console located between the seats. We'll slide a high quality, rather long flat plastic removal tool between the center console top and bottom parts at the marked spot (this spot is parallel to the center MMI button so you can use that as reference):

ConsoleRemoval1.png

2. After inserting the tool as deep as you can, lift it up with force (but being gentle not to tear up anything) until you can hear the clips releasing (you'll hear a popping sound). Do this on both sides and you'll be able to free the top part of the console:

ConsoleRemoval2.png

3. After popping up the top part, you need to remove the bottom clips. You can do this pulling the console towards the back of the car, as the clips are located under the cigarette lighter area.

ConsoleRemoval3.png

4. To fully free the console, you'll need to remove the leather gearknob cover. You can pop it up by pushing it from under and then "playing" with it until you can remove the console through it. Don't forget to remove any connections under the console. (Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of that but they should unclip pretty easily). Please note that if you disconnect the e-brake harness while the car is on you will receive a message on the info cluster so you'll need VCDS or OBDEleven to clear it, so please turn off your car before removing anything!

ConsoleRemoval4.png

ConsoleRemoval5.png

5. Now that the console is out can we start really working on the less fun part of this install. I placed the console upside down on a cloth so I won't damage the top part. What we need to do is to separate the top part from the bottom part. As you can see in the picture, they're soldered from the factory so there's no pretty way to remove them. I used a soldering iron to melt the tabs so I can barely slide a plastic tool to separate them enough to remove the ring and put the new one. I marked the tabs that you need to melt before separating the console.

ConsoleWork1.png

ConsoleWork2.png

6. After you can barely separate the console, you'll be able to see the old ring and pull it out to install the new one. Put the new one in and put the two parts back together. I used a really high quality glue to put the console back apart and let it dry overnight before installing back into my car.

ConsoleWork3.png

7. The fun part, the connection part! Now all we have to do is connect the lights. From the factory, the lights are connected into the BCM and can be controlled through the MMI. I couldn't bother to do that because my wires were too short and because it's basically the same functionality as using the knob on the headlight switch so I connected them to the cigarette lighter wires.

Connection1.png

Connection2.png

8. Install the console back in slowly, not forgetting to connect back any wires and there you have it!

Before:
BeforeInstallation.png

After:
Result1.png

s-l300.jpg

Thank you for reading :).

Reactions: ismailsener, Check5, springer and 6 others
Brilliant work. I'm not sure I can do the melting bit, however, as I've damaged the cup holder and my OCD asks to be replaced I ask you, kind gentlemen, can we do this retrofit by swapping the cup holder altogether? I'll attach a pic with what I call the 'cupholder' as it may be called something else :).

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 951
Brilliant work. I'm not sure I can do the melting bit, however, as I've damaged the cup holder and my OCD asks to be replaced I ask you, kind gentlemen, can we do this retrofit by swapping the cup holder altogether? I'll attach a pic with what I call the 'cupholder' as it may be called something else :).

You can buy a whole new unit that already has this installed if you’re afraid to screw up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a part number for a unit which already comes with the led?
Thx

Do you have a part number for a unit which already comes with the led?
Thx

Just search for A3 8V center console and you’ll find it. To see if it has led or not look if there’s a white ring

I'd need the part number to order it from the dealers as I don't think I can find a pristine SH one...
L.E. I've asked the dealers for it and they only want to order the part for my car as they said they can't look the other one up...

Last edited:
I'd need the part number to order it from the dealers as I don't think I can find a pristine SH one...
L.E. I've asked the dealers for it and they only want to order the part for my car as they said they can't look the other one up...

There isn’t a separate part number because the cupholder is part of the lighting package and it’s either there or not.

So what happens if someone who has the lighting package asks for one? Do they make it on the spot? I don't think so?

So what happens if someone who has the lighting package asks for one? Do they make it on the spot? I don't think so?

I might be wrong then. You should check ETKA.

Right! I've managed to get the cupholder trim WITH the LED ring already in it new from the dealer. The p/n is exactly the same as the one from my car which doesn't have the ring so there was alot of confusion before buying as even the guys from Audi didn't know what to think then.
After failing to get the part s/h I've decided to bite the bullet and ordered it, p/n 8V2864261C 6PS, £67.99 from the dealers. I don't know if it makes any difference but when I ordered I used the reg of an S3 which they had in the yard approved used (I knew it has the lights package).
No melting plastic tabs for me, happy days! I hope this helps someone who doesn't want to do the melting/gluing bit, I know it works out cheaper to buy only the rings and wiring but in my case, I had to replace the cupholder anyway as it got defaced (long story, don't ask).

P.S. I'm going to do the retrofit hopefully at the weekend if the weather cooperates. My plan is to splice into the cig wires as per above. I've read most of the posts regarding this subject on this forum and everybody goes either to the cig or the OEM way so I'm guessing there is no chance to find the wiring with the connector already there and tucked away? For me it makes sense to have only one type of electrical loom and then plug in stuff according to trim level?
Thx all for putting up with me.
Dan

Reactions: Mark Tate and pburv
For MMI control of the cupholder light, I have confirmed that these adaptation changes are correct:

Wire the cupholder light into the middle connector BCM. T46B pin 2.

5F - Adaptations
  • Vehicle function list BAP-interieur_light_0x08 = Activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination = activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_clamp_15_off = not activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_over_threshold_high = activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_standstill = not activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_after_disclaimer = not activated
09 - Adaptations
  • Int. light: 2nd generation-Cockpitbeleuchtung mehrfarbig - Active
  • Int. light: 2nd generation-Helligkeit Cockpitbeleuchtung nicht berechnen - Not Active
  • Interior light: light configuration-Ambientemenue mit alle Zonen - active
  • Interior light: light configuration-Cockpitbeleuchtung - installed
  • Leuchte9FL RB2-Lichtfunktion A 9 - Ambientelicht 2
09 - Long Coding
Byte 17 Bit 2

For MMI control of the cupholder light, I have confirmed that these adaptation changes are correct:

5F - Adaptations
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_clamp_15_off = not activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_over_threshold_high = activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_standstill = not activated
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_ambient_illumination_after_disclaimer = not activated
09 - Adaptations
  • Int. light: 2nd generation-Helligkeit Cockpitbeleuchtung nicht berechnen - Not Active
09 - Long Coding
Byte 17 Bit 2

thank you for sharing the information, but did you retrofitted this ? (And also connected to t42b?) or did you have the original light package installed?

I’m still looking for the first one who managed to get it to work via the oem connection t42b (xenon lights)

thank you for sharing the information, but did you retrofitted this ? (And also connected to t42b?) or did you have the original light package installed?

I’m still looking for the first one who managed to get it to work via the oem connection t42b (xenon lights)

Yes, I have it retrofitted. For xenon lights, you connect to T46B pin 2.

Could anyone explain step by step how to gain acces to the t46b connector? How do i reach the bcm? (Is it just unscrewing the two bolts hightlighted on the picture?)

Attachments

• C9E84145-75C1-4830-A78D-D3CA7344D3F9.jpeg
    C9E84145-75C1-4830-A78D-D3CA7344D3F9.jpeg
    687.3 KB · Views: 1,105
Yes, I have it retrofitted. For xenon lights, you connect to T46B pin 2.

I also got it working via the oem connection and control over it through the MMI. I only did the byte 17 bit 2 though. guess some of the other needed settings was already done when I had the footwell lights installed. Thank you for helping!

Whst dies the byte 17 bit 2 actually change ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Enables the light dim control through the MMI. When you install the footwell lights/cup holder lights, there’s a menu under car options for “interior lighting” which has front, rear and ambient. Ambient is cup holder.

Thanks . I'm trying to do the on a mk3 tt as similar set up and not much about it on that forum . I ve got the door lights in and menus on the mmi
The lights dont come on until I play about with the slider in background light menu. It does dim but the sub menu for door doesn't control it but does move the pointer when the background lighting dial is moved. Footwells work as per oem . I've got faults in the both door modules for ambient lighting and when I lock the car they stay on for 11 mins ! Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

For anyone wanting to complete this install in a 2017 S3 with LED headlamps: you need to connect to pin #20 in the t46 connector. Big thanks to rawrmcrawrawr for helping me out with that. Also the newer models dont support long coding in the module 09. Instead it is all done via the adaptation channels

I have the retro fit kit here(brand new), comes with plug and enough loom to wire to 12v socket.

£27 posted.

For anyone wanting to complete this install in a 2017 S3 with LED headlamps: you need to connect to pin #20 in the t46 connector. Big thanks to rawrmcrawrawr for helping me out with that. Also the newer models dont support long coding in the module 09. Instead it is all done via the adaptation channels
Understood great to know. I am trying to avoid having to splice in places where we can connect to a connector and do it through MMI.

Does Pin #20 on the T46 actually go somewhere though? My car never came with the ambient lighting package so in theory is there no wire there or does VW/Audi make every harness the same?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Just came across this guide, I have lots of people asking about this modification and they are usually put off by the melting of the tabs etc however this guide makes it less daunting. For those who find melting the tabs a bit too much then you can usually pick up a used console with the LED already fitted for about £50.

Then harness wise: https://rocketwires.co.uk/online-shop/ols/products/a3-cupholder-illumination-harness

Understood great to know. I am trying to avoid having to splice in places where we can connect to a connector and do it through MMI.

Does Pin #20 on the T46 actually go somewhere though? My car never came with the ambient lighting package so in theory is there no wire there or does VW/Audi make every harness the same?

It must since it all works when connected

It must since it all works when connected
This is great info because, I can take a way cooler cupholder led light that is powered via USB and plug it into the appropriate pins in our car. As long as the pin out is right this should work just fine.

Plus, I could wire resistors in if I have to.

This is great info.

5F - Adaptations
09 - Adaptations
09 - Long Coding
Byte 17 Bit 2

I've added for the moment the footwell light which works well like the original Light Package option (at the door opening and with the headlight at night) but impossible to get the menu on the MMI, because I can't find these red lines in the adaptation of the 09th.

09 - Adaptations
Int. light: 2nd generation-Cockpitbeleuchtung mehrfarbig - Active

Int. light: 2nd generation-Helligkeit Cockpitbeleuchtung nicht berechnen - Not Active

Interior light: light configuration-Ambientemenue mit alle Zonen - active

Interior light: light configuration-Cockpitbeleuchtung - installed

Leuchte9FL RB2-Lichtfunktion A 9 - Ambientelicht 2

My car is an S3 8v 2014 with B&O and the OEM Background light menu to manage the dimming of the b&o only. I would like to have the Multi-Zone management before I connecting the cupholder.
So I'd like to make sure that I can reach the Interior Light Management Menu, otherwise I'll connect it to the same power line as the footwell light (this is the last solution I'd like to avoid).

Could you help me please ?

VCDS 12.12

I've added for the moment the footwell light which works well like the original Light Package option (at the door opening and with the headlight at night) but impossible to get the menu on the MMI, because I can't find these red lines in the adaptation of the 09th.

My car is an S3 8v 2014 with B&O and the OEM Background light menu to manage the dimming of the b&o only. I would like to have the Multi-Zone management before I connecting the cupholder.
So I'd like to make sure that I can reach the Interior Light Management Menu, otherwise I'll connect it to the same power line as the footwell light (this is the last solution I'd like to avoid).

Could you help me please ?

VCDS 12.12
VCDS 12.12 is from 2013 and does not fully support the MQB platform. Would suggest buying genuine VCDS or finding someone who has.

Yes I have tried with VCDS 20.4.2 and It's works perfect ! Thank you DJ Alix :smiley:

Do you know the PIN assignement to connect the cupholder on a S3 8V1 with LED headlight ?

In the Audi wiring diagram it only talks about halogen and Xenon, but nothing about LED.

Yes I have tried with VCDS 20.4.2 and It's works perfect ! Thank you DJ Alix :smiley:

Do you know the PIN assignement to connect the cupholder on a S3 8V1 with LED headlight ?

In the Audi wiring diagram it only talks about halogen and Xenon, but nothing about LED.

Pin # 20

Wait, what year is an 8V1...I have 2017. sorry don’t want to mess you up but Pin 20 was what I needed to use for led headlamps
Edit:

Last edited:
This looks neato! I've noticed mine are certainly very dim, to the point I'm looking at other options.

Forgive my stupidity but does this make them brighter and more crisp or is this just literally a straight swap? Thanks!

Looking to do some mods but thinking pay this time footwell lights anyone got a price 2016 150 NAV 8V hatchback

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

VCDS 12.12 is from 2013 and does not fully support the MQB platform. Would suggest buying genuine VCDS or finding someone who has.
I'm having the same problem but trying to connect my ambient lighting instead of cup holder lights. i connected it to pin 39 on the bcm which is for ambient lighting. my vcds doesn't display the cockpit lines is this the only reason it's not working via the mmi? Also what is the voltage for pin 39

I'm having the same problem but trying to connect my ambient lighting instead of cup holder lights. i connected it to pin 39 on the bcm which is for ambient lighting. my vcds doesn't display the cockpit lines is this the only reason it's not working via the mmi? Also what is the voltage for pin 39

What ambient light are you trying to install exactly?

What ambient light are you trying to install exactly?
it's some fibre optic lights which run on 12v here's a pic

Attachments

• 20210116_152500.jpg
    20210116_152500.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 596
  • 20210116_152454.jpg
    20210116_152454.jpg
    945.5 KB · Views: 657