Guidance for splitting a car please......

Chromag

Reaction score
Hello folks, first post here as I found this very knowledgeable site when I'm in some strife, as I'm sure some folk before me have. I have beautiful example of an S3 8L and have managed to prang it. Audi want a fortune for parts and even sourcing them cheaper online is still expensive plus I then need to get them fitted, probably do that myself, then sprayed.

Insurance company is offering me £3500 to get the car fixed. I'm thinking buy another S3 and rob it for parts and then potentially no need to spray it either. Has anybody done this before?

I would then have a car sitting in my drive I need to get rid of. Is it worth selling bits off it? Would it take a number of months to shift the stuff? Or should I just get a salvage yard/scrappy to come along and remove it? Would seem a waste considering the relatively small number of parts I need from it.

Selling parts will take a very long time speaking from experience. Some parts people are always after hence would go quick, yet some others will take you a while.

In the long term you will make a lot from it. I wouldn't personally do it ever again unless I had space and patience which I don't :)

Sounds like good advice bud. Scrap merchants will be getting a call then.

If its only small bit you want then take em and let the scrappy pick up the rest?

Unless you have storage for the parts, I would just weigh the car in. Maybe take the front and rear bumpers of if they intact. They will sell. Best of luck. Hope you get the car you are after. :)

Id take the easy parts to sell like interior,bumpers, Haldex controller, xexons and weigh the rest or sell it as is as spares or repair rather than scrapping whole thing

So are the parts mentioned above the only ones worth saving? Bought a car today and picking it over the next two to three days.

Check the classifieds section... there will be cars on there being broken.... body panels, main parts of the interior etc are popular, engine and gearbox, rear diff/haldex... the rest is marginal and may take a while to shift...

If you do decide to sell on some parts then post in the classifieds section as there is no selling allowed on the main sections...

<tuffty/>