Guess my next car(s) thread / What you think I should buy

MBK

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Guess my next car(s)

By popular demand, well 2 requests anyway..., I've set up this thread for you all the guess my next car(s). Now this is all in the name of pure fun, you are welcome to be at your witty best.

I'm not going to give any clues for now except to say I couldn't replace the RS3 with just one car. So fire away with your best guesses. I've placed this in the RS3 section but if you've read my other write ups etc feel free to join in too.

What should I buy?

Also to give you a bit more scope tell me what car you think I should drive/would suit me and of course why you say that.

I'll let my Mrs start with the banter on the what should I buy after we went for a drive in one of these in V8 variety:

2014-jaguar-f-type-v8-s-review.jpg

Her comment "It's nice but you're just not a classy enough guy for something like this". Lol cheeky biatch! :laugh:

Reactions: RS3copilot, klauster, Ghost and 3 others
the jag is very nice dont get me wrong but at the traffic lights when people was looking at it i would always be thinking in the back of my mind do they think i am a gay hairdresser . just saying :uhm: . thought you was going with the gtR ? i like the gtR but think the interior seems a little on the cheap side . my old p1 and evo 6 tommy mac also felt cheap inside seems to be a jap thing . cracking car none the less . what else is on your list ?

Reactions: MBK
Having met u Mark, I have to agree with your wife ;)

Reactions: Ghost and MBK
Ok…. Ok….ok… My first guess is …. DC4093

We don't want you to have withdrawal symptoms not hearing the daily squeal !!!

cheeky-smile-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: S3 AD, DAYTONA 500, Mr_Freeze and 2 others
Well that has potential, 3605bhp and it corners on rails...

Reactions: Mr_Freeze
normal.jpg

I will have a £1 E/W on the …. Boxster S :sly:

The Jag is awesome - get it and put up videos of every single mile you do.

However, I don't think there will be a better replacement for the RS3, judging from your reports, but the only car I can think of that will give you 'something' similar but different with a little excitement along the way, would be an Alfa 4C. I know I know, it's only a little engine but lightweight, handles similar to an Exige (maybe an overestimation) and chuckable so probably good on track.

One to play with - Porche Cayman and a workhorse for the winter - Volvo XC90

The Jag is awesome - get it and put up videos of every single mile you do.

However, I don't think there will be a better replacement for the RS3, judging from your reports, but the only car I can think of that will give you 'something' similar but different with a little excitement along the way, would be an Alfa 4C. I know I know, it's only a little engine but lightweight, handles similar to an Exige (maybe an overestimation) and chuckable so probably good on track.

The Jag makes an awesome noise for sure, the first one I can ever say I even been half interested in. I'd wait for the Coupe but it is as fine car. I still feel it's one for when I'm a bit older.

Alfa 4C I hadn't even considered that. I like the new Elise S too but the Exige V6, with the track tyres and dampers, is an incredible machine and would get my cash if it was a choice between these 3.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Go get yourself a Porsche...

designed for the track with a rich racing heritage..

Sure the GTR is a one of a kind, designed to out do 911s and Ferraris.. but just doesnt do for me..

If I had the ££ it'd be either the RS4 or Macan Turbo...

But we're planning a kitchen refurb' so a new car is a definite no no...

BACK to basics...

Originally manufactured in 2000 it has been painstaking rebuilt, developed and maintained by Northampton Motorsport into probably the quickest road legal G4 produced.

View attachment 26182

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Go get yourself a Porsche...

designed for the track with a rich racing heritage..

Sure the GTR is a one of a kind, designed to out do 911s and Ferraris.. but just doesnt do for me..

If I had the ££ it'd be either the RS4 or Macan Turbo...

But we're planning a kitchen refurb' so a new car is a definite no no...

Now there are a couple of Porkers that I like, the 997 C4 GTS with PDK is a lovely car. The one that really does it for me though is the 997 Turbo S and they are currently around the same money as a new GTR. I|'ve seriously thought about it, even checked out the price of the carbon discs and pads and I was pleasantly surprised for once.

If you were to go down the Porsche route I'd go for a car they'd designed specifically for the track, just like my friends car he's currently selling - :sign_plug:

Used 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 [996] GT3 for sale in London | Pistonheads

Then get an A3 8P as a daily :)

That is lovely, I've seen a few 996 GT3s on track and they are truly accomplished cars. I was lucky enough to get a go in a 997 GT3 at Silverstone too a truly absorbing car to drive. I've run quite a few road type cars on track and I find the consumables cost a bit too high. I am running a track car this year but I've decided to go lightweight this time.

Reactions: kwistof
BACK to basics...

Originally manufactured in 2000 it has been painstaking rebuilt, developed and maintained by Northampton Motorsport into probably the quickest road legal G4 produced.

View attachment 26182

Lovely, there is a lot of joy to be had from these back to basics cars. If I could afford/had the time to go gentleman's racing the Ginetta G40 series would appeal greatly.

Getting a Porsche is terrific.. but you're limited to just 2 passengers (as opposed to the GT-R).

Unless you're looking at the Panamera...

What are you're thoughts of the Macan ?

Didnt quite like it at first.. but the more I look at it.. it's starting to grow on me...

Clues now needed, Mark; like, what are you looking for that an Audi RS3 doesn't provide… :think:

What is that one special add-on bit your now after? :ermm:

You don't need any clues John, you know where I'm going next (you've had the headache to prove it!). It's taken much more than one car to replace the RS3.

1. Daily driver - sensible enough but still with a turn of speed and semi auto box.

2. Weekend and occasional use toy, no prizes for guessing what this is. As for what it has over the RS3 well that's always subjective. If the criteria is faster, more grip, more noise, more feedback then it has all of those. If the criteria was seats/space, comfort, price, running costs then the RS3 would win comfortably. I still have some changes to make to the garage before it will fit comfortably.

3. Dedicated track toy, fast enough to scare me silly and reasonable costs to run. I'm sharing this rather than buying just for myself, we were able to get much more for our cash this way. What does it have over the RS3? Nothing other than dedicated track ability, this car is unlikely to ever see the road so is very much a one trick track pony but oh boy is it quick.

As for special add on bit there will always be another of those that is for sure! Some more skills training for the nut behind the wheel is first on the agenda to make sure the track machine stays firmly on the black stuff!

Well, based on those criteria I would punt for:

1) Leon FR - a Golf GTI in all but name and price
2) Nissan GTR - warp speed for the road
3) Half of a Caterham - seat of your pants driving

1 Mitsubishi Evo X GSR FQ330 2.GTR 3. Caterham

Last edited:
The dealer I bought my current motor from picked me up from the train station in a Porsche.
Have to say, during the trip to the dealers I thought to myself, what does anyone see in these tiny little things.

The dealer I bought my current motor from picked me up from the train station in a Porsche.
Have to say, during the trip to the dealers I thought to myself, what does anyone see in these tiny little things.

Guess we'll never know unless we sit behind the steering wheel in one of 'em.

But the Boxster & Cayman have the makings of a great sportscar.. 2 seater, mid-engined.. lovely build quality and well, Porsches are designed for the track.. as top priority..

Only drawback with 2 seater Porsches..... known to be the car for those men in their mid-life crisis and quite likely sexually impotent :-D

Reactions: col1892
Well, based on those criteria I would punt for:

1) Leon FR - a Golf GTI in all but name and price
2) Nissan GTR - warp speed for the road
3) Half of a Caterham - seat of your pants driving

Bingo or as close as. Front wheel drive is good enough for every day/most journeys, glad I was in the daily today when I got diverted down some very narrow roads on the way back from Aberystwyth because of a road accident.

GTR, the itch I just have to scratch (though a 997 Turbo S ran it much closer than I was expecting). It'll be staying standard which is why I waited for a 550 (famous last words!) and never see the track (probably...unless I get bored one day). I've driven a GTR on track, it's awesome, but the running costs are way too high for regular track use. Nor do I want to use such a massive beast every day. It's still a couple of months away.

It's just 1/3 of the Caterham but that is more than enough for the few track time I have planned for this year. I voted Atom, I'd love one, but one of the 3 is a supplier for Caterham so the deal was much better. Best of all I don't have to find space for it or tow it about, it will be kept in a garage with a bunch of Clio Cup race cars.

Guess we'll never know unless we sit behind the steering wheel in one of 'em.

But the Boxster & Cayman have the makings of a great sportscar.. 2 seater, mid-engined.. lovely build quality and well, Porsches are designed for the track.. as top priority..

Only drawback with 2 seater Porsches..... known to be the car for those men in their mid-life crisis and quite likely sexually impotent :-D

If you want to drive a few Porsche flat out and test the handling go to the Porsche School at Silverstone, well worth a visit. I've drive a Cayman S, 997 C4S, GT3 and Turbo at Silverstone on various courses/events and they are all great fun. I'd be happy with any of them but the Turbo really does it for me, I know the purists say GT3 but that is really just the rich mans track weapon. The Cayman really is a good car but I'd really still want a 911.

Get a used S4 advant and have it tuned to out do the Rs4s....

spare change to get a Cayman S for weekend track use..?

Mark

When you've played with your new toys please come back and tell us how they compare with the RS3...:racer:

Reactions: MBK and Ghost