Guard X Any Good or Avoid?

Guard X

• Total voters
Asked Audi dealer if he had better product to Gardx and he said JCT 600 are rolling out Gen3 ceramic coating. He' offered me free Gardx and only wants £250 more for Gen3 instead. They charge £750 to coat A3's with Gen3 is this the way to go?

No mate. Don’t give them a penny.

It’s not the product that’s the problem, it’s the time and preparation. They could be using Gyeon or Gtechnique, but it will still be pants because they don’t do the neccessary prep work.

£750...Jesus Christ....I swear it’s boarderline fraud...

You need to remember that dealers have an incredible profit margin on finance, insurance and these paint protection products. That’s why they push them so much. In all cases, they are far worse than you can get elsewhere. Finance is a higher rate, insurance products are massively inflated and usually not great cover (e.g. GAP) and the paint protection is basically a scam.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and DohNut
In a word NO!

A dealer will spend 1 hour protecting your car. An un-trained dealership trainee will slap a non-discript product onto your un-prepped paintwork. A good professionally trained detailer by comparison will spend 1 day minimum preparing all surfaces, using superior proven products and not charge much, if any more.

It’s a totally false economy. Don’t do it.

Reactions: DrEskimo
Think how much they must make on these paint protections! You can buy the Gard X / autolym dealer protection kits on eBay for a tenner and someone is making a profit selling them at that! £750 :tearsofjoy:

Think how much they must make on these paint protections! You can buy the Gard X / autolym dealer protection kits on eBay for a tenner and someone is making a profit selling them at that! £750 :tearsofjoy:
They are just charging me £250 for the Gen3 in Lou of the Gardx which if FOC by way of goodwill (long story) it is being offered with a 5 year warranty against remaining effective. According to the salesman it is being applied by their own vehicle repetition team who have been trained over the past 3 months on how to prepare and apply it.

Last edited:
Everyone who has replied here has said don't do it... it's not about the (so called discounted) cost or the protection on the paint but the prep work to the paintwork before the protection is applied. Ask your dealer for a full breakdown of the process involved.

It sounds like you want to take them up on their offer because you think your getting a bargin... your not. But at the end of the day it's your car so go with what you want.

Yes good advice. I'll ask them for full details of the prep, although I guess that don't mean they will do it.

Yes good advice. I'll ask them for full details of the prep, although I guess that don't mean they will do it.

Intrigued to know what they said. Have you heard back?

Picked up the car earlier today....

Even though I instructed the dealer not to do anything to the car, they went with my original order and did apply GuardX!
Not particularly impressed by this, but as it was error on sales side they gave me the full amount back so a further £625 off the price plus got the maintenance kit.
Will give the car a good look over in the morning to ensure it has been done properly but now I'm in 2 minds if I am going to get the car professionally detailed and ceramic coated or not.

Congrats on the car and get some pics up!

Probably not worth getting it detailed/protected now but depends on wether the paint is swirled and whether or not you are happy with it as things stand.

Congrats on the car and get some pics up!

Probably not worth getting it detailed/protected now but depends on wether the paint is swirled and whether or not you are happy with it as things stand.
Just some quick phone pictures!
d03f2b3d4035568947accc691b3000d5.jpg
1159875882901ee9484847ab7fba72d1.jpg

Audi A5 S-line Sportback 2.0TFSi Scuba Blue

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Pinky1959 and DohNut
Very nice!

Reactions: SimonAshley
Does anyone have any recommendations on maintenance of GuardX? What to wash with etc??

Still not sure if I’m going to get it taken off and detailed or just leave and save my money

Does anyone have any recommendations on maintenance of GuardX? What to wash with etc??

Still not sure if I’m going to get it taken off and detailed or just leave and save my money

Same products/techniques you would use if it was protected with anything.

I would be surprised if it has much protection on it at the moment, but you can tell by how it sheets/beads when you do your final rinse. How easy it is to dry the car is a good indication of how well it is protected. That's why protection is important, because it makes washing/drying much easier you are less likely to induce marring from dirt that's harder to get off/less contact from drying as there will be less standing water.

If it seems like the car is just as hard to wash/dry, then get it booked in to a detailer.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and SimonAshley

Off the top of my head l would use a quick detailer, as the final stage / coating of the Guard X is a Acrylic coating, first stage is a cleanser/primer coating, l used Guard X on my Frozen white Focus ST and that's what l used but over time resort back to to the likes of a paste wax etc etc to add some wetness to the gloss

Reactions: SimonAshley
Have a search around the net, I did a few years ago and GuardX (and others) offered by dealers actually cost them around £25 - but they price it at circa £500 to make it sound amazing. As others have said, have the money off the car or accessories to the value instead.

If you've never had a car detail, do - it is worth every penny and especially if you get it done by those who show you before and after panel photos - the panels really do look like mirrors after! Well worth the money. As for GuardX and the like, they're not worth it. Do checkout the Detailing World website for more!

Have a search around the net, I did a few years ago and GuardX (and others) offered by dealers actually cost them around £25 - but they price it at circa £500 to make it sound amazing. As others have said, have the money off the car or accessories to the value instead.

If you've never had a car detail, do - it is worth every penny and especially if you get it done by those who show you before and after panel photos - the panels really do look like mirrors after! Well worth the money. As for GuardX and the like, they're not worth it. Do checkout the Detailing World website for more!

Hi mate, as said earlier in the thread, said to not do it but they have anyway so now just wondering on care, as need to wash it.

Asked my detailer and he recons could be up to £350 extra as GuardX already applied (Obviously if the paintwork underneath is fine then it won't cost any more than he originally quoted)

Asked my detailer and he recons could be up to £350 extra as GuardX already applied (Obviously if the paintwork underneath is fine then it won't cost any more than he originally quoted)

This sounds wrong to me. I’m not sure what’s in guardx but would have thought a strong citrus pre wash would remove it.

IIRC you’ve already been quoted for a new car protection detail and this normally includes a decontamination (including claying) and 1st stage polish and this, I would have thought, would be enough to remove the guardx.

I think your detailer is trying to pull a fast one here.

Last edited:
This sounds wrong to me. I’m not sure what’s in guardx but would have thought a strong citrus pre wash would remove it.

IIRC you’ve already been quoted for a new car protection detail and this normally includes a decontamination (including claying) and 1st stage polish and this, I would have thought, would be enough to remove the guardx.

I think your detailer is trying to pull a fast one here.

Yea exactly. A single stage polish will cleanse the paint and remove any fillers or wax.

As an aside, mechanical removal is the only way IMO to really remove a recently applied coating. Bit of a myth that a strong APC, fairy liquid or IPA will remove it. There are some very strong shampoos, like RESET, but a light polish is the most sure way I think.

Hi mate, as said earlier in the thread, said to not do it but they have anyway so now just wondering on care, as need to wash it.

Just use this forum and do it yourself, you'll be OK :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Hi guys,

Just thought I would update with a few pictures of the shocking GuardX application by Audi.
Water sheeting and not beading in arrears mainly arches and big patch on the roof!

I have had the car detailed and protected by The Matt Finish, he did a fantastic job and it felt like picking up a new car all over again! So much more shine!

Will upload some pictures of the after detailing soon!
d1af3c0bf123a43f8565b3001aa35f9f.jpg
62167e09eef7af5b8f0467fd5734c3ec.jpg

Audi A5 S-line Sportback 2.0TFSi Scuba Blue