Grrrr - Dont some people just p!ss you off...

[ QUOTE ]
..then insist on throwing the butt out the window...

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't mooning whilst driving also pretty dangerous........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with you on that one TQS. If people don't like being 'undertaken' then the should pull over into the left hand lane.

Does anyone regularly use the M42 - when does the 'No overtaking by HGVs' apply. Went along there on Saturday and I assume the large square matrix signs light up when it applies. It's just that it makes so much difference to the traffic flow in Germany I think it should apply to more roads over here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with both comments!!

I had the pleasure of 3 points a few weeks ago:

Driving to work I had just overtaken an big mofo lorry. The road in question (A1073 to Spalding if you know it) is dangerous in places. However, the section I overtook on is dead straight and I got to the dizzy heights of 70mph. The limit used to be 60mph but changed a few months back to 50mph.

Anyway, I was caught up by an UNMARKED police bike who had followed me after I overtook.

Now who's the *****? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mobile Camera Vans - got me twice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you got done prior to the visibility rules they have to comply with now.

Given that they have to have warning signs,a marked van etc.etc.you have to be a bit silly to get done these days.

Not so Bowfer, me old vandalising mate.

Vans have to be marked, but they can operate with the markings only along the sides and front of the vehicle.

Hence they can still be tricky to spot when parked in a lay-by with only the rear visible.

Perhaps if more people flashed a warning to oncoming traffic rather than hoping someone (as long as its not them) got caught, we'd all be better off.

The culture of warning fellow motorists is commonplace abroad, but doesn't seem to have caught on in the UK. Something to do with our selfish psyche I wouldn't doubt...

i always warn people, if it slows them down the police can't exactly complain can they!

[ QUOTE ]
Not so Bowfer, me old vandalising mate.

Vans have to be marked, but they can operate with the markings only along the sides and front of the vehicle.

Hence they can still be tricky to spot when parked in a lay-by with only the rear visible.

Perhaps if more people flashed a warning to oncoming traffic rather than hoping someone (as long as its not them) got caught, we'd all be better off.

The culture of warning fellow motorists is commonplace abroad, but doesn't seem to have caught on in the UK. Something to do with our selfish psyche I wouldn't doubt...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,but what about the warning signs prior to the van ?

Do they put up temp ones when they are speed trapping then in Scotland?

Down here in the south they put up perm signs just about ever where regardless of whether there is speed cameras in the area.

They also set up mobile cameras just in front of and just after fixed cameras...

Same as in England.
Temporary signs if permanent ones aren't up already.
They also openly announce where they'll be on their website,which I check every week.
Tends to be the same old places.

If I'm on the bike I just laugh at them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

The main stretch of road into Sheffield is the parkway, a dual carrige that goes from 70 to 50 and has fixed cameras and signs, but about half way up they hide behind a bush so that you can only see the van when it is too late. The other time was on a stretch that goes from 40 to 30 and I drove past him thinking I was fine, as its a 40, DOH!

[ QUOTE ]
They also openly announce where they'll be on their website

[/ QUOTE ]

...the address would be handy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yes that's exactly how I got caught. Area through Sandy on the A1. Area is full of 'Speed Camera' signs and two fixed cameras, but the van was parked parallel to the road with the back doors open so no markings visable and between the two fixed cameras. Booked for doing 56mph in the 50 limit.

Freaking very harsh, I'm sure that they are breaching there own guidelines on that

[ QUOTE ]
Yes that's exactly how I got caught. Area through Sandy on the A1. Area is full of 'Speed Camera' signs and two fixed cameras, but the van was parked parallel to the road with the back doors open so no markings visable and between the two fixed cameras. Booked for doing 56mph in the 50 limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive this stretch of the A1 everyday and those vans are annoying, its not like they haven't got enough fixed camera's there is it!!! 5 camera's within 2 miles is just OTT

Butthe vans are the worst - the colour of the "warning" yellow is also almost orange, so it blends in with all ofthe other road clutter around .grrrrrrrr

[ QUOTE ]
Freaking very harsh, I'm sure that they are breaching there own guidelines on that

[/ QUOTE ]

Guidelines are exactly that, just guidelines and not legislation. Therefore nothing can be done if they don't comply with it, unless its a border line case, other than a moan to the rozzers from a magistrate before they sentence you - even if you go to court. Tough.

Yes, the ACPO guidelines are +10% +2mph over any limt, so 57mph for a 50mph limit, if you roll over and pay up then the guidelines won't matter at all - they could charge you with wearing pink socks in a 50 limit, if you confess & pay up without a court hearing then thats tough. (i.e. sign the fixed penalty confession under police threat of costs and extra penalties)

All these 'helpful' web lists seem to be bullsh*t too. They are only a 'supposed' diary of trap locations. The small print says 'these locations can be changed at any time by the officer/person in charge due to weather / road conditions / any reason and another location substituted'.

See the Cumbria site: "Tuesdays - M6" very helpful eh?

They're only to try and deflect critisism of these filthy scameraships.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif