Growing vibration while in D or R (S-Tronic)

I'd say its probably more a characteristic rather than an issue. Like I said it doesn't bother me at all as the engine in normal driving sounds it it should.

Sounds promising and like something that should be done regularly each 15k km.
Don't have the VCDS or ODB11 yet so looking forward to your experience. :positive:

I have OBDEleven but I may take it to get done by a garage as I want to update the software as well. Waiting to hear back on a quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cuke2u
Hi.

I spoke to VolksMaster, they said they can do it for £90. The software update includes the calibration. However, they were reluctant to say they can warranty it. So if my gearbox developed a worse fault after, I’d be **** out of luck.

The guy was pretty good and suggested I get Audi to do it. So I mentioned I’ll take it to my local Oldham Audi to which he discouraged me from, apparently they’re rubbish and don’t know why they’re doing. They’ve heard bad things about them.

So now I need to take it to a good Audi locally, but don’t know which one yet.

The saga continues.

Yesterday, I had the car in with the stealer for a major service. And I was sure to ask them to update my software AND calibrate my clutch.

They told me they re-applied the update to the gearbox but because of one reason or another, they couldn't do the clutch calibration and will call me back with a quote. However, when I plugged in my OBD11 it still tells me that a version 5 update is available, so I don't know what they've updated twice, allegedly.

They reset the computer to re-learn my driving style again and sent me on my way. I couldn't feel anything yesterday but the vibration is still there today.

Your answer therefore is in your choice of word for a 'dealer'. They 'had' you.

One can't argue with what the car is telling an app of what software it has. Likewise, if you took your PC to have a Windows 10 update installed. You are expecting v232 and the repairer says they have done it. Yet, when you click on system properties it shows you still have an earlier version

One could argue that odb11 is also giving false information though. The same would happen with Ford's ETIS where it would state that there were updates for different modules that didn't actually apply to that model. Just ask yourself how does odb11 know this as it cannot connect to Audi's servers...

Reactions: Mr Olympik
One could argue that odb11 is also giving false information though. The same would happen with Ford's ETIS where it would state that there were updates for different modules that didn't actually apply to that model. Just ask yourself how does odb11 know this as it cannot connect to Audi's servers...

I was pondering on the accuracy of OBD11’s sources.

Hello from Finland! I recently bought 2017 A4 2.0 TDI Stronic with 105 000 km in odometer. When I was test driving before the purchase, it was warm weather and start&stop did shut down the engine while in stationary. So, I was not able to notice any problems. But now when it is normal winter weather here (some mornings even -30 celsius) S&S does not stop the engine at traffic lights or any stationary situations, the car is starting this growing vibration which have been described here. Vibration stops when I move the gear selector either to P or N, and comes back when the selector is moved back to D/S. If I move the selector to R, there is no vibration.

Engine runs very smoothly and does not vibrate the chassis at all when N or P position. So, the problem is not the engine. I have used car warranty and the car dealer (not Audi reseller) pointed me to a workshop which is not an authorized Audi service&repair center. Instead they are local Bosch car repair center. They were not able to get any error codes out from the gear box. They just diagnosed based on test drive and their earlier experience that the mechatronic need to be changed which they later did. It did not help for the vibration problem. They raised up their hands and advised me to contact an authorized Audi center and ask them to calibrate the gearbox. So I did call them and book a time for the operation which the service advisor said takes 1,5 hours. Service advisor also proposed that the vibration while stationary is not an actual fault but more or less normal feature of Stronic. To me it sounds very bad quality as VW group has had more than 15 years of DCT gearboxes and still having so much problems and rough features in their product.

Let's see if the calibration helps. If not, my journey as an Audi owner will be very short and will be return back to BMW owners club.

Thanks for sharing, that eliminates the mechatronic which I suspected as well, keep us updated.

Stronic adaptation/calibration not yet done, but scheduled on 5th March.

I found from Erwin Audi's technical service bulletin / technical product information 2050813/7 released on 30 Sep 2020. It describes growing vibration when engine is still cold or warming to normal operating temperature. According to TPI, it is normal situation and exists because the brake pressure is not in needed level thus clutch pressure is pushing clutch to connect. TPI continues that there is no need to change any parts (like mechatronic, DMF, clutch, ATF pump) instead maybe adjusting the brake pressure. I did not quite get whether TPI means that driver should press brake pedal harder or if there is something to be adjusted in the brake pressure regulator.

I did some field testing which is easy now as it is about -20c in every morning here. Even releasing brake pedal very shortly (but not letting car move) and then pushing back may hide away the vibration in my car. Yes, there is some kind inter relationship between brake pressure and clutch pressure.

Last edited:
That’s interesting, but it doesn’t seem to be very common as not everyone has the problem, so how can it be a normal feature?

In my car I’ve noticed if I apply the break very lightly there is little to none vibration, but then, while stationary, I jam the breaks fully, the vibration appears.

I am having the same issue. I am the second owner. My car has 150 000km. Audi confirmed that the vibrations belong to 2050813/7 TPI. If the brake is pressed just slightly vibrations are gone. Mine vibrations are quite strong and I think that it's getting worse. I have to shift to N while standing or use start/stop system. Sometimes right after cold start vibrations are quite severe that the whole car is shaking. I am really disappointed by Audi attitude. How can it be engine matter and in TPI there is written that engine change won't help. That is ridiculous. Many users solved it with idle RPM change through VCDS (it is possible up to 50 RPM). However this is not possible if you had ecu software upgraded.
My last option will be DMS change but I don't know if I willing to spend so much money just to try something. If nothing helps I will sell the car but I don't know if someone would buy it with this defect

I had my DMF changed and it didn’t help at all. I have noticed the problem would go away at higher revolutions. I may try doing the 50RPM bump and see how it goes.

I am having the same issue. I am the second owner. My car has 150 000km. Audi confirmed that the vibrations belong to 2050813/7 TPI. If the brake is pressed just slightly vibrations are gone. Mine vibrations are quite strong and I think that it's getting worse. I have to shift to N while standing or use start/stop system. Sometimes right after cold start vibrations are quite severe that the whole car is shaking. I am really disappointed by Audi attitude. How can it be engine matter and in TPI there is written that engine change won't help. That is ridiculous. Many users solved it with idle RPM change through VCDS (it is possible up to 50 RPM). However this is not possible if you had ecu software upgraded.
My last option will be DMS change but I don't know if I willing to spend so much money just to try something. If nothing helps I will sell the car but I don't know if someone would buy it with this defect

I’ve just rest the motor talker forum. Do you know which adaptations I need to change? Not sure if I’ll be able to do it if the software has been updated, but I want check

I’ve just upped the idle RPM by 50 and it seems to have hidden the problem. However, need to wait for the car to cool down before confirming.

Also, does anyone know where I can read 2050813/7 in full, please?

Last edited:
I am glad it helped. What ecu software version do you have pls? (if you have 2.0 TDI 110kW) because I have the newest update and the option is no more there.
you can find anything you need about the car here https://erwin.audi.com. If you pay 1 hour access search for 2050813/7 in a technical bulletin but there is no description except that it is slightly uneven engine run and it can be affected by the brake pedal pressure.

Hi, I'm on 04L906026T, version 1981.
This quite surprising as I've had the car in twice with Oldham Audi asking them to update the software thinking it would fix the fault.

Update on the vibration; it was very cold this morning and I could feel the vibration very slightly, so bumping the RPM more likely covers the problem rather than solves it. Still happy with the result.

Thanks for the number. I will check it with mine next week and should be able to downgrade. Yes, RPM increase just hides the problem but when the temperature is really cold it will still be present. I am still thinking about the root cause because it is so weird. I am a mechanical engineer, programmer, and electrician and I work with machines and devices every day, solving many difficult problems and this is not acceptable for me. Not knowing what is the problem and not being able to solve it.

I share your frustration, I’m an electronic and electrical engineer working in a manufacturing plant with many far more complex machines than my car. I’ve been trying to figure it out for over a year to no avail.

We are really in the same boat. I think I will try to email to Audi R&D in order to search for more info about what is going on but I don't give that any chance. Anyway if there is something new I will let you know

I share your frustration, I’m an electronic and electrical engineer working in a manufacturing plant with many far more complex machines than my car. I’ve been trying to figure it out for over a year to no avail.

I finally found a guy that downgraded my ECU software to 04L906026T, version 1981. It is the OEM version so you couldn't have any update. Idle adjustment appeared in the VCDS and it really does help. Vibrations are 90% gone but I am so sensitive that I can still feel that the engine is not running as it should but if there is no other help I can live with this.

Agreed, it still noticeable when the engine is cold and it almost come and goes in pulses. I think our sensitivity is there because we’re looking for the fault. Most people don’t realise it until I point it out to them.

Agreed, it still noticeable when the engine is cold and it almost come and goes in pulses. I think our sensitivity is there because we’re looking for the fault. Most people don’t realise it until I point it out to them.

After 2 days of testing I can't say it helped much. vibrations are still present mainly first 20-30 minutes after start. They have higher frequency but are still present.
I would like to ask you how sure are you that your DMF had been changed? I am starting considering that I will change it but it is just too much money to waste if it won't help

Hi,

I had it done under warranty from the garage I bought it from, made sure they sent me pictures as wasn’t sure if I could trust them...
7a0af8c8fde834d476e10b5640dff9d9.jpg

I have an invoice somewhere too.

After 2 days of testing I can't say it helped much. vibrations are still present mainly first 20-30 minutes after start. They have higher frequency but are still present.
I would like to ask you how sure are you that your DMF had been changed? I am starting considering that I will change it but it is just too much money to waste if it won't help

I agree with it not helping much. I was contemplating increasing the adjustment from 50 to 70 to see if that would help more.

Did you notice the pulsating change in frequency too by any chance?

The show goes on... what an agony!

I got my ECU update a few months ago... naively thinking it will smooth something out.
My efforts would go to why are some of the 2.0tdi 110kw working like they should!
Why is 140kw so rare with these symptoms when key differences are bigger turbo and different injectors?

I agree with it not helping much. I was contemplating increasing the adjustment from 50 to 70 to see if that would help more.

Did you notice the pulsating change in frequency too by any chance?

I am afraid that ECU only takes 50 RPM. Anything above that value is converted back to 50 but I haven't tried it yet. Yes there is change in frequency.
I believe that you had it changed but the picture can be from different car :D I am just asking because I again red all the forums and found more users that changed DMF and it helped

I managed messed around with it before setting it to 50, I had it up at 70 and could see/hear the difference. I’ll feedback to confirm once I try it.

It’s hard to see in the screenshot, in the first picture my registration plate is visible and the engine is out.

I am afraid that ECU only takes 50 RPM. Anything above that value is converted back to 50 but I haven't tried it yet. Yes there is change in frequency.
I believe that you had it changed but the picture can be from different car :D I am just asking because I again red all the forums and found more users that changed DMF and it helped

It does indeed help, until the "state of art" grinds it again.
I got a sincere Audi technician who opted me out of it because he said they had multiple changes under warranty and the problem always return... sooner or later.

I’ve just upped the idle RPM by 50 and it seems to have hidden the problem. However, need to wait for the car to cool down before confirming.

Also, does anyone know where I can read 2050813/7 in full, please?

You can read 2050813/7 from Audi Erwin system: https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showHome.do. Just buy one hour reading time. You get right product information by entering your car vin code before opening product data base. I have copied the text, but only in Finnish language.

About yesterday's SW update and gearbox adaptation after changing mechatronic. It did not help for the vibration. Car behaves same way before the mechatronic change. Unfortunately they also found left front drive shaft to be broken.

Last edited:
Google translated version of TPI

Shaking

Technical Bulletin Number: 2050813/7
Note on maintenance:

Slightly uneven running of the engine at idle when the travel zone is engaged - EA288 longitudinal. Released: 9/30/2020
Customer Complaint / Service Findings
Customer complaint:
The engine idles slightly unevenly when the selector is in position D or R.
Service observation:
The customer description is correct, not the fault-related codes on the engine or transmission control unit.
The fault can be repeated during the engine warm-up phase and only when the selector is in position D or R. The fault is not verifiable in a warm engine.

Faster processing
Press release history

TPI No. / Version Number Update quality
2050813/7 Changes to Service Discovery and Warranty Reimbursement
Note: The contents of this table will not change if the change in the next version relates only to the bulletin title information.

Technical background
Depending on the customer's driving profile, deviations may occur during the engine warm-up phase. Among other things, the brake pressure affects the leveling of idling when the car is stationary with the driving zone engaged. If the brake pressure is very low, the clutch pressure will increase, which may cause the engine to run unevenly.
Production
-
Maintenance measures
The idling behavior of the car can be influenced by changing the brake pressure during the warm-up phase.
After analysis, such behavior is classified as a complaint about comfort.
Warranty rebate
There is no point in replacing engine or transmission parts.
Replacement of engine or transmission parts is not covered by the warranty.
Customer information

Yes I got the exact same paper from Audi but the info there is not true. It is not just a slightly uneven engine run because the whole car is shaking and it is not true that it only does when the engine is cold. It was like that at the start but mine now vibrates even if the engine is warmed up. I really must drive on a highway for more than hour to stop the vibrations

Yes I got the exact same paper from Audi but the info there is not true. It is not just a slightly uneven engine run because the whole car is shaking and it is not true that it only does when the engine is cold. It was like that at the start but mine now vibrates even if the engine is warmed up. I really must drive on a highway for more than hour to stop the vibrations

Agreed. Same here.

What angers me is this is a ridiculous statement for a luxury car manufacturer...

I tried driving without automatic brake switched on, just to test the "brake pressure" theory, and it really makes a huge difference.
There might really be something in this.

Is it worse without autohold? I don't have this option in my car but can imagine that with autohold there is little pressure on clutch so it can have impact on this

No, it's worse with autohold. To engage this function you have to press a bit harder on stop.
Without it, I would say you can eliminate 90% of vibration by resting your foot lightly on the brake pedal.

For a second there I thought vibration could only be related to the cars with autohold.