Grind'y' noise - but not when i turn left?

Clach

A3 - 1.8Ts
Reaction score
Ok fellas, it's been a while - how you all doing?

What is this all about - Recently I have noticed a problem when driving, which gets noticeably louder at speed. It is a drooning, but not quite grinding noise, which is most noticable at about 30 to 50. It seems to get slightly worse when i turn right, but disaapears when i turn left at speed. When i first noticed it i thought tyres. I am running Conti 2's on the front and they are lowish on tread but i have run lower with the same tyres with no problems. The pressures are all fine. Also, to add to the confusion, i recently had a service by Dean at 4 rings and he never noticed anything, and i trust his judgement. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? The car is on 87k miles. No codes or power issues.

Cheers folks, Clach :uhm:

mmm, just had the right done about 6 months ago...Cheers mate

Usually if its louder turning right, it will be the left side wheel bearing as the load is on this side of the car.

I am convinced it is the front, I will have to live with it for a bit as i have little money at the mo?

Cheers Guys...

Hey stranger, dont know what it is, but just saying hello :)

theres a face i havnt seen in ages...

Is it coming from the middle of the car all the time, or is it only coming from one corner..

if you can hear it under you, could be diff, does sound like a bearing though, but thats like a humming after 30.

Hey dude, im good thanks

I think it could be the bearing as well, have you had the car up on a ramp yet??

Just had a service from Dean at four rings about 2 weeks ago and nothing was picked up on then. And yes, the humming starts after 30, and disappears when i turn left...But i would not be surprised if it was the Diff, given my tranny prolems :keule:

Dean would only have picked it up if he had taken the car for a drive. If it is a bearing it wouldn't have jumped out at him. I have a funny fluttering noise that Dean didn't notice but he didn't drive it anywhere just started it.

left hand side front bearing, and to defend dean he wouln't have known without a test drive or knowin it was there to look

Just make things clear, as i quoted originally...

"had a service by Dean at 4 rings and he never noticed anything, and i trust his judgement".

Again, I would recommend Dean to anyone - excellent service. I was not having a go at him one bit, just putting it out there as I know he does thorough checks, and thought it may be related to something less obvious. At the mo, i am convinced it's the left wheel bearing on the way out...

Clach

I had a drone from mine which sounded just like a dying wheel bearing..was planning on getting it sorted this month after replacing all 4 tyres. Replaced the tyres last weekend and the noise has gone!