Grinding noise on throttle release at low speeds while turning right??

Muzza80

Reaction score
After some advice.

My car is a manual 2010 S3 Sportback with 31k on it.

I park in a multi-story car park for work, it's a slow drive in 1st/2nd always turning right to get round it and up down the levels.

I've noticed over the last couple of months, most noticeable when in first and only when the steering wheel is turned right (not straight), and only when coming down off the throttle not while on the throttle a nasty grinding noise coming from under the front end of the car. This never happens when the car is going straight, never notice it when in higher gears or higher speeds.

I've not tried to replicate it yet when turning left but will do.

Today I really noticed it when in this car park and also noticed that if I put a little pressure on the clutch pedal while coming down off the throttle, turning right I can actually feel this grinding through the clutch pedal.

I have no other problems with the gearbox or clutch when driving normally but this is beginning to worry me a little, it does not sound healthy at all.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers!

Disc backplate is my guess - mine sounded like something terminal.

So the backplate was fouling the disc?

I hope it's as simple as that! I wouldn't have expected to feel it through the clutch pedal though...

had similar on my dsg A3 , somehow the bottom of the stone guard got mangled up with the 3 studs that come up from the ball joint on lower arm , so when turning right the stone guard got pushed by the studs into the disc making a very nasty noise .
so its worth checking and an easy fix .

Got an indy looking at it tomorrow morning, provisionally booked into Glasgow Audi for next Weds if he cant help and they have offered to find the fault for a fixed £60.

To be honest it don't sound like something minor, it's a really nasty grinding that I can feel through the clutch pedal.

If I had to put money on it I'd say clutch/flywheel :(

How many miles have you done?
I replaced my clutch and flywheel on Saturday at 59k and to say it was knackered was an understatement.
It was ready for falling to pieces! I had lots of noises and vibration which have all gone but I didn't have any grinding.

Have you recently had the cambelt changed? if so take it back to where they did it as the engine may not be in alignment... This can cause this issue... The S3 engine has to sit perfect.
I have exactly the same issue and mines in tomorrow to be checked out!

Hard to tell from the video.

A suggested look at brake stone guards, but given it only seems to when cornering that doesn't suggest clutch.

After wheel bearings I'd be having the CV joints checked to see if any of the splined teeth have sheared. Then I'd be checking for component rub within the suspension or worn bushes.

Good luck finding it!

Your wheels have gone to their next owner! Glad to be getting rotors back today for lazy cleaning routine!

Hard to tell from the video.

A suggested look at brake stone guards, but given it only seems to when cornering that doesn't suggest clutch.

After wheel bearings I'd be having the CV joints checked to see if any of the splined teeth have sheared. Then I'd be checking for component rub within the suspension or worn bushes.

Good luck finding it!

Your wheels have gone to their next owner! Glad to be getting rotors back today for lazy cleaning routine!

Hey fella, thanks for the reply.

Yeah actually the more I think about it it does sound like an external noise rather than something inside the bellhousing/gearbox, ive checked the wheel bearings by jacking up and yanking on the wheel and there's no play plus I don't get any of the typical wheel gearing whirring at any speed.

Got a chap looking at it this morning, hopefully something simple.

You bought more rotors for the S3 when you're trading it in anyway??

You bought more rotors for the S3 when you're trading it in anyway??

No, getting rotors on the S5 today, S3 went yesterday. Just off to collect it now! Bulbs arrived yet?

Ahh I see! Lovely, cant wait to see it!

No sign as yet mate.

So still got the grinding noise when turning in 1st at low speeds.

Been right over the underside of the car and it's perfect, no worn bushes, nothing loose, nothing stuck in the stone guards or them being bent or anything. Took it to a wee independent that advertises as being ex VAG trained and he reckons pinion bearing in the front diff just by driving it around!??. I've had diff bearings do before in my Scooby and it sounded nothing like this so I immediately called Awesome GTI and the guy there reckons no chance, he's not once seen this issue on our platform, his advise is just keep driving it until it becomes more apparent where the problem lies....

One thing, I need new front discs and pads, the front discs are very lipped and pads are getting a bit low so I'm gonna chance them anyway hopefully it's just something to do with the disc lip as that's the sort of noise it seems like, disc rubbing/grinding on something.

Reactions: warren_S5
Have you recently had the cambelt changed? if so take it back to where they did it as the engine may not be in alignment... This can cause this issue... The S3 engine has to sit perfect.
I have exactly the same issue and mines in tomorrow to be checked out!

What was the outcome?

So still got the grinding noise when turning in 1st at low speeds.

Been right over the underside of the car and it's perfect, no worn bushes, nothing loose, nothing stuck in the stone guards or them being bent or anything. Took it to a wee independent that advertises as being ex VAG trained and he reckons pinion bearing in the front diff just by driving it around!??. I've had diff bearings do before in my Scooby and it sounded nothing like this so I immediately called Awesome GTI and the guy there reckons no chance, he's not once seen this issue on our platform, his advise is just keep driving it until it becomes more apparent where the problem lies....

One thing, I need new front discs and pads, the front discs are very lipped and pads are getting a bit low so I'm gonna chance them anyway hopefully it's just something to do with the disc lip as that's the sort of noise it seems like, disc rubbing/grinding on something.

Did you ever find out what this was?

Nope never got to the bottom of it yet but not too worried about it now.

I'm registered on the UK Golf R Forum and there's a local lad on there with a 2010 Manual Golf R that posted about 4 years ago (not long after he got his car new) with exactly the same issue. He had it at VW multiple times they changed an insane amount of parts, ended up with the Tech Director of VW UK getting involved, here's exactly what he advised me

No worries man. The noise, if it's the same, unfortunately is a characteristic of that chassis. It's transmission windup. I had the technical director of VW UK come up with a brand new R and the noise was exactly the same. Car had less than 400 miles on it. Mine was on 15k

Essentially in 1st in a multistory car park is best place to hear it, up to about 10mph in 1st turning right then left off and CRUUUNCH GRIND, hang on have a look at this if you don't mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7flsJlfYr0&feature=youtu.be

Yep it's horrible. Doesn't do it in 2nd and its only when you come off the gas. I had a gearbox, prop, Haldex unit, rear drive shafts and it was still exactly the same lol

It's hard to tell from that video but it sounds the same. It's happening at the same time.

Well that's good news mate, just find it hard to believe it;s supposed to do that lol
A local place wanted to rip opwn my gearbox and replace pinion bearings on the front diff!

I was the same. The vw chap even admitted it isn't a great noise. But I had kicked up such a stink I knew if anything happened as a result they'd sort it. The final warranty bill on my car was £11k lol

Jesus christ, and it did it the whole time you had it after that even after tuning for bigger power and never got any worse?

Yep. The car was just shy of 400bhp before I got rid and it didn't change. It was faultless