Grinding noise on engine switch off

SJR88

Reaction score
I drove my car a couple of times today, therefore switching the engine on and off on a number of occasions. On one of these occasions there was a very brief grinding sound when I switched the engine off, it was fairly quick and it hasn’t done it again. It’s also not a noise I’ve heard from it before.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea what it could have been? I hate going straight to Audi as from my experience, they usually struggle to find any faults and this noise obviously isn’t going to be there at all times.

It could be anything, unless it does it all the and you can locate where its coming from we're working just as much in the dark as you. Maybe the electric coolant pump, fuel pump, any number of things..

It could be anything, unless it does it all the and you can locate where its coming from we're working just as much in the dark as you. Maybe the electric coolant pump, fuel pump, any number of things..
Thanks for the reply, I suppose all I can do is keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply, I suppose all I can do is keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

This happens in my car also - it's the electric coolant pump. Just after engine is switched off and lasts for about 5 seconds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This happens in my car also - it's the electric coolant pump. Just after engine is switched off and lasts for about 5 seconds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply. I usually hear an electric kind of sound when I switch the car off but this was more of grinding sound, probably literally for a second, my passenger actually asked what it was too and I’ve never heard it before.

Sounds like the steering lock engaging. Mine is quite noisey too.