Green parking brake symbol

Theonenonly

Driver
Reaction score
Can anyone please confirm what the green parking brake symbol is?

I read the manual and it says it's for hill assist! Is thst the only thing its for? I was told I didn't have it but the car did it a few times today but I didn't realise what it was so I was just using the handbrake as normal when stopped on a hill.

Havnt had a chance to actually test it out after reading the documentation.

Mine does not have HHA, but the green P is shown when the stop start is active I have stopped, engine has cut out and I have applied the handbrake but the car is still in D.red I think is shown when the car is in park and hand brake applied.

Reactions: Theonenonly
If you don’t have full hill Hold Assist, it will just hold green after manually putting on the handbrake. It’ll let go when you raise the clutch or accelerator in auto gearbox. It won’t apply automatically.

Why don’t you read your car manual? This forum is suffocated.... and you can’t find real informations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why don’t you read your car manual? This forum is suffocated.... and you can’t find real informations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you read the post you’d see he did. Don’t like why not read what you do require?

Reactions: Syed Shah and AlnSaz
I have not had a chance to play around with it yet
Mine does not have HHA, but the green P is shown when the stop start is active I have stopped, engine has cut out and I have applied the handbrake but the car is still in D.red I think is shown when the car is in park and hand brake applied.
Ah you see this is what I was thinking!

I think I will have to go find a hill and test it as Im sure I dont have it but was wondering if the green P comes on for any other reason.

I do think that the parkingbrake is red when I manually apply it though, or at least thats what ive noticed.

Ill give it a go later today and report back

I have not had a chance to play around with it yet

Ah you see this is what I was thinking!

I think I will have to go find a hill and test it as Im sure I dont have it but was wondering if the green P comes on for any other reason.

I do think that the parkingbrake is red when I manually apply it though, or at least thats what ive noticed.

Ill give it a go later today and report back

Could be wrong but I thought I’d seen a pic of a car with HHA and it has a button between gearstick and arm-rest.

EDIT: just googled a pic... what’s the button next to electronic parking brake?

For the hilll assist you have the extra button next to the handbrake. Just using the handbrake gives the green icon on the screen.
However, the hilll assist means it puts the handbrake on automatically when the car stops and also applies the brakes; I believe. I thought was a pointless feature but actually really nice and lazy idea.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For the hilll assist you have the extra button next to the handbrake. Just using the handbrake gives the green icon on the screen.
However, the hilll assist means it puts the handbrake on automatically when the car stops and also applies the brakes; I believe. I thought was a pointless feature but actually really nice and lazy idea.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ah you see I dont have an extra button, so I dont have it? Can you see my confusion? The manual specifically states the symbol in green is HHA.

So why the hell is mine green sometimes? lol

Lol... it’s been said a few times but let’s try and make it clear... all A4 have hill hold assist.

The basic free version you manually activate with the handbrake

The full version automatically activates.

When it’s activated with either basic or full the p goes green.

Maybe the answer is in your question, I thought the “green parking brake symbol” indicates that the parking brake is set. The parking brake can be applied manually or automatically if you have this option

Maybe the answer is in your question, I thought the “green parking brake symbol” indicates that the parking brake is set. The parking brake can be applied manually or automatically if you have this option

It never comes on automatically (That I've noticed anyway) and its always in red when I manually apply it.

Need to have a fiddle about it seems

Me too, mine’s never appeared red!
I have HHA and it illuminates green either if I apply the handbrake manually or let the HHA do the work.

Me too, mine’s never appeared red!
I have HHA and it illuminates green either if I apply the handbrake manually or let the HHA do the work.
Haha it just seems its pleasing itself then.

Ill nip out later and go find a hill and do some testing

Could be wrong but I thought I’d seen a pic of a car with HHA and it has a button between gearstick and arm-rest.

EDIT: just googled a pic... what’s the button next to electronic parking brake?

Just did the same and its a (A) button and it looks identical to the auto stop/start function (But I have this button its on my dash next to the drive select etc)

Lol... it’s been said a few times but let’s try and make it clear... all A4 have hill hold assist.

The basic free version you manually activate with the handbrake

The full version automatically activates.

When it’s activated with either basic or full the p goes green.

Ah didnt see this before, that would explain the confusion then! I wont go rolling down hills now thinking I have it without manually applying the parking brake :) lol

If the P is green then the car is ready to go upon a light tap of the go pedal, nothing more required. If it's red, you need to manually release it before you can go.

Reactions: RaZ A4
If the P is green then the car is ready to go upon a light tap of the go pedal, nothing more required. If it's red, you need to manually release it before you can go.

Nah this is rubbish mate, mines always on red and automatically releases itself and I can confirm I deffo don’t have HHA as there’s no button next to my parking brake.

Checked and the car was built a week before they changed it lol

Manual seems to be rubbish too;

Brake

Nah this is rubbish mate, mines always on red and automatically releases itself and I can confirm I deffo don’t have HHA as there’s no button next to my parking brake.

Checked and the car was built a week before they changed it lol

If you have handbrake on but car in gear and ready to go it’ll be green no matter if you have HHA or not

One of the conditions for automatic release is that you have your seat belt on, if you don't have it on you have to release it manually.
Presumably it shows red in this instance.

One of the conditions for automatic release is that you have your seat belt on, if you don't have it on you have to release it manually.
Presumably it shows red in this instance.

It releases automatically even when red though is my point so I really don’t understand what the green is for lol

The only time mine fails to release is when I am just moving the car around and haven't put my seat belt on, neither HHA or the handbrake release in this situation, in fact HHA is disabled.
I never look at the colour of the light.

Just a thought but do you need to differentiate between manual and s-tronic here?

Not sure why you need HHA assist with an automatic though.

HHA with an auto means that when you pull at a junction or the lights you press the foot brake until it holds then just accelerate away and it releases.
Otherwise you have so sit with your foot on the brake to avoid transmission creep.
It is actually more useful on an auto than a manual, but obviously on a hill start its very useful in a manual.

Reactions: Jsmills
HHA with an auto means that when you pull at a junction or the lights you press the foot brake until it holds then just accelerate away and it releases.
Otherwise you have so sit with your foot on the brake to avoid transmission creep.
It is actually more useful on an auto than a manual, but obviously on a hill start its very useful in a manual.
+1 to this...

My Q5 was s-tronic but I didn’t spec HHA. Can’t say I ever missed it.

Or you can apply the parking brake, which I do at night so I don't blind the car behind with my brake lights.

This HHA debate is actually as old as the hills, some wouldn't be without it, such as myself, and some would.
As far as the brake lights are concerned, I leave my HHA on so that vehicles coming up behind me know that I'm stationary, once one does I apply the parking brake out of courtesy.
No-one can change my habits and it is all just down to personal preferences....

Or you can apply the parking brake, which I do at night so I don't blind the car behind with my brake lights.
Yes but parking brake doesn't release as smoothly as HHA especially at a junction/roundabout.
Most of the time its only held for a few seconds and it means you can wait with your foot on the the accelerator for the opportunity to go and react quickly and smoothly.
Putting the parking brake on in that situation is a PITA.

There are two solutions for a reason one is better at somethings, like parking, the other is more suited to the stop go traffic we all encounter day in day out.

If stationary for a longer delay then yes the parking brake does reduce glare for the driver behind.
My B8 had HHA and brake lights used to go off after a short period on HHA, shame the new one doesn't do that.

Reactions: Jsmills
It releases automatically even when red though is my point so I really don’t understand what the green is for lol

Red is the actual handbrake, when it’s green it uses the main brakes not the handbrake to hold the car. The benefits are it releases quicker, and doesn’t sag the back end on a hill..

Only just realised HHA is standard on my car according to configurator.

So been driving today and at a junction, I manually apply he parking brake after taking it out of gear and it’s red.....

I put it in first and the light switches to green in a ready to go state, which allows me to pull away smoother.

So yeah all cars have a version of HHA natively, the extra option (which is now standard my car missed out on it by a week or so) applies it automatically without you having to manually press the parking brake button.

Thanks all for your help haha

Reactions: Happy Grumpz
So been driving today and at a junction, I manually apply he parking brake after taking it out of gear and it’s red.....

I put it in first and the light switches to green in a ready to go state, which allows me to pull away smoother.

So yeah all cars have a version of HHA natively, the extra option (which is now standard my car missed out on it by a week or so) applies it automatically without you having to manually press the parking brake button.

Thanks all for your help haha

Yeah, that’s exactly how mine works, I can’t say it’s a massive ball ache pulling the handbrake on while sat at lights that are on a hill.

Yeah, that’s exactly how mine works, I can’t say it’s a massive ball ache pulling the handbrake on while sat at lights that are on a hill.

Yeah I have to put it in gear anyway so my hand is already hovering over it so it’s no hassle at all.