1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

GPS Week Number Rollover?

Keef Apr 3, 2019

1. Keef

Keef Registered User

Bit random and I’m sure i’ll get told, wrong section!
    I have a old Tomtom from before I could afford integrated navigation!

Just had an email telling me about GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) and that it occurs every 19 years, with the next roll over taking place soon. I’ve never heard of this and it’s a bit late for April fools! But to be fair I didnt have navigation 19 years ago.

Anyways, to the point, will this affect our cars with built-in Nav??

I’m guessing it’s a software thing, so ours would update automatically perhaps?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

I have only found this as I've not come across the week rollover before:
    "The GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) occurs every 19 years, with the next roll over taking place on 6 April 2019. Similar to odometers in older cars rolling over from 99,999 km to 0, the GPS WNRO is the resetting of the GPS calendar back to 0.

When the calendar resets, it can cause a miscommunication between GPS satellites and GPS receiver chips. As a result, some chips in satnavs will lose the ability to process certain functions.

What does this mean for you? It’s time to check your satnav. Depending on your device, you may need to update or upgrade."

Also this:
    "Fortunately, devices on sale right now should be prepared for this rollover and handle it gracefully. Uncle Sam's GPS nerve-center GPS.gov says(PDF) receivers that follow the ICD-200/IS-GPS-200 specification should be able to deal with the week number overflow. This basically means newer receivers built after, say, 2010 should be fine, provided they follow the specs and notice the rollover."

But I don't know if ours is pure navigation data, unaffected, or calendar and time linked data, affected.

I also wonder what will happen to dashcams that have GPS, such as mine.

Keef likes this.
  4. scotty76

scotty76 Registered User

5. Keef

Keef Registered User

I would hope our cars would be ok, my Tom Tom is very old!
    Just thought it worth posting as if never heard of it!
    19 years is a tad random, suppose its to do with the earth, moon, tides blah blah

6. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

I think our cars will be...
    Y2K was a damp squid as well, I remember going out to hundreds of desktops and testing them with not one failing. There was talk of traffic lights not working planes possibly having issues etc...

Keef likes this.
  7. Keef

Keef Registered User

You mean squib??:blink:

BigAardvaark and shadenville like this.
  8. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Must move keyboard to the left a tad more...

9. scotty76

scotty76 Registered User

@Keef yep first I knew about it was an email from TomTom about an ancient sat nav lurking in the man drawer.

Keef likes this.
  10. Scuba Blue

Scuba Blue Registered User

I suspect this is something of nothing, as mentioned above Y2K or the so called Millennium Bug turned out to be something of nothing in the end. All it really did was generate huge income for dodgy IT Service Providers who kept themselves very busy fleecing firms and individuals. Cambridge University researchers and the BBC among others have both suggested that it was all a big swindle/hoax. Of course if my satnav takes me across a field or into a lake on Sunday I will return here and eat my words.

Keef likes this.
  11. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Thanks for calling me dodgy ;-) however it was the media that hyped it up to hysterical level, certainly not us. As far as I was concerned we were just making sure that everyone felt happy their systems were ok. Some did require a manual clock change, which the owners would not have been aware of, so the appropriate advice was given on what to do.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Gray S

Gray S Registered User

I updated my old TomTom for my son to use, relatively painless using TomTom Home 2. I can't imagine any recent Audi will be affected, but there are a lot of things we did/didn't expect not happening/happening lately!

Keef likes this.
  14. L_G

L_G Registered User

There have been some instances of issues earlier this year where the gps units' software only counted up to 1000 rather 1024. This was confined to displaying the wrong date and time IIRC

Rather worryingly I remember this from the first time around.

15. L_G

L_G Registered User

Apparently some units now think it is 21 August 1999, didn't think to check the date - might do so tomorrow

16. pjeffe9172

pjeffe9172 Registered User

Im assuming that as 6th April has passed and nobody has posted about sat nav giving up the ghost that all went well with the rollover? I can't imagine having the same car in 19 years so can't foresee this being an issue.

17. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark Registered User

Used nav with no problems on Sunday.

Y2K I made £1500 by volunteering to be the standby guy on NYE/1st Jan. Only got one call out and even that wasn't Y2K bug related :)

18. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Mine too, no issues what so ever...