Gotta a TDi90 A4.. wanna pep it up a bit!!

Pegsta

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just found this forum, thought you might be able to answer some of my questions..

First - I've found a K&N Air filter available for my A4, anyone know if they make much difference to Turbo Diesels? It's not the cone version, just the one that replaces the standard filter. I used to have one on my old Honda powered Rover and it seemed to do ok, just never having a diesel before I don't know what to do to speed it up.

Also, what chip would you recommend for this engine? it's a 1996 model A4. What can I go up to safely? My mechanic can fit the chip from a 110bhp A4 for about £250. Is this worth it? or should I go for something like a superchip?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The low output of the engine is about the only thing letting me down about this car, other than that I love it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers

Peg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I had a 95 80 avant tdi 90bhp, after a superchip conversion it was like stepping from a 1.6 golf int a gti.
Totaly worth the dosh, and much much more fun, the biggest supprise was the motorway difference, no need to change down a gear, plenty of torque to play with, it supprised plenty of cars.
There are many manufacturers to look at, and many views on the advantages of different chip set-ups, be sure that the torque increase matches the bhp increase and you wont go far wrong.
Enjoy the experience! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

K+N filters aren't worth it on A4's, especially the diesels. Even the S4's don't get a worthwhile increase from them and the different airflow across the MAF means you suffer a bit of low end driveability.

SUPERB!!!! I cannot believe the difference this chip has made, and even though I had an "older" ECU as Simon put it he was still happy to upgrade it..

The thing wheelspins in 2nd now (and I'm not trying - it just happens cuz I'm not used to the new characteristics of the car) and all through the rev range it has constant power where originally it went flat at 3,500rpm.

Motorway driving is a joy - no changing down at inclines and overtaking, fifth gear all the way and I didn't ever have to put my foot on the floor!

I cannot reccommend this upgrade highly enough - worth every penny of the £305 I paid.

Puts a smile on my face everytime I accelerate now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif