Got the S3 this morning..

Part of me wishes I had just gone without a car for a few months and got an S3!
Test drove the orange one at Chester the other week and was amazed. It's hugely differents to my 2.0T S-Line. Power, Brakes and Handling are all tiptop. And I ragged the tits out of it on the M56! I drove a 3.2 TT before it and wasn't too impressed, for the money at least. The S3 will be legendary.

I just hope the R36 Golf rumours are unfounded.

Vertigo1 said:
All new A3s do now.

How do you access it? Is it just another option when you scroll through display 1 , 2 or is it under the menu page?

Anyone know if it's possible to enable it with VAG-COM on the 2006 cars?

Well there was the first aid kit, which I had to order with the bucket seats on the online configurator for some reason...

There were a few options regarding mats and storage options/nets. Oh and rear heated seats.

Its was getting a bit like the generation game, next i'll be telling you about the coffee perculator and cuddly toy...:unsure:

dandle said:
How do you access it? Is it just another option when you scroll through display 1 , 2 or is it under the menu page?

Anyone know if it's possible to enable it with VAG-COM on the 2006 cars?
Under the menu you can access oil temp

stevec said:
Little jealous looking at the sprint blue pictures...

But hopefully not for too long :)

Ordered mine today, and ticked most of the option list at the same time (so just hope the bank manager won't pay too much attention)...

Sprint Blue, black-black interior
Bucket seats in Fine Nappa leather
3-spoke leather multi-function Sports steering wheel
Front centre armrest
Acoustic parking system
Door mirrors, auto-dimming and electrically folding
Flat tyre warning indicator
Interior light pack
Cruise control
Hill hold function
Light and rain sensor pack
BOSE sound system
DVD Satellite Navigation system Plus
GSM mobile telephone preparation located in front centre armrest
iPod console

Now the wait begins...

Boo hoo. Sniff.
Perfect selection apart from the armrest:undwech:
But since you want telephone preparation certainly a must have.

stevec said:
I have to say I'm stunned just how well these three options work together, superb functionality, integration and usability. The BOSE is just the icing on the cake.

stevec said:

Ordered mine today, and ticked most of the option list at the same time (so just hope the bank manager won't pay too much attention)...

Front centre armrest
Acoustic parking system
Interior light pack
Cruise control
Hill hold function
BOSE sound system
iPod console

Now the wait begins...

Boo hoo. Sniff.

Big Spec Steve :)

Don't come over to Swindon though, I want to be the only one here with Sprint Blue :gun2:

MattW said:
Big Spec Steve :)

Don't come over to Swindon though, I want to be the only one here with Sprint Blue :gun2:

I actually took the Bristol S3 on a demonstration run to the outlet store in Swindon a couple of months ago :) Great fun. So guess I already beat you to driving round Swindon in a Blue S3 :p

Bristol Audi also have a tango S3 in their showroom with the sports steering wheel too. The wheel looked and felt fantastic. Not sure about the colour though... :puke:

Tourist said:
Perfect selection apart from the armrest:undwech:
But since you want telephone preparation certainly a must have.

Well I want the bluetooth support and can't be ***** with aftermarket kits on a new car, especially as I have the bucket seats and i understand the bluetooth box goes under the passengers seat. I fitted a couple of Nokia kits on my current S3 and it takes up too much time when you could be cleaning or driving it :laugh:

I am planning to get the power steeing values changed by the dealer or VAG tool as these are too light when you are not wellying it.

I am also going to look at how my current S3 has the backlights to the speedo lit as they are white on the new S3 (the rest of the dash is red), where as my current S3 is red all over and feels much more classy in the dark. :ninja:

Irish said:
Robin - not sure if you know but the S3 has a digital oil temp gauge.

yes i was aware of that, what i am wondering is where its taking that temp reading from, sump or gallery.

stevec said:

Front centre armrest
Acoustic parking system
Interior light pack
Cruise control
Hill hold function
BOSE sound system
iPod console

Now the wait begins...

Boo hoo. Sniff.

I do hope you got some money off with alll them extra's :whistle2:

I did quite well with my cash off

stevec said:

Front centre armrest
Acoustic parking system
Interior light pack
Cruise control
Hill hold function
BOSE sound system
iPod console

Now the wait begins...

Boo hoo. Sniff.

:scared2: My god Steve, thats a spec and a half.
Whats wrong with the sunroof, TV and heated rear seats? I think that's about all you missed, did the pen run out?

Should have mine in the next few days!!!

my car is at the dealership now, so confirmed delivery for Thursday next week!

:)

klauster said:
my car is at the dealership now, so confirmed delivery for Thursday next week!

:)

Can I ask why you have to wait 6 days for it??

the car is at West London Audi, I am near Leeds, I had to get it from there to get Jan allocation, it was also one of the dealerships offering me a substantial saving (others didnt offer one at all, new car, high demand etc....)

car being prep'd, private plates going on, then delivered to my work :sm4:

Guys I have to add I am not too happy with the lightness of the steering at low speed.

I nearly crashed last night giving the wheel too much turn and I had to very quickly correct it. At driving speed it's fine but going slowly or parking it's just too light.

My main problem is I did not buy my car from a dealer in Dublin and I am not driving 250 kms to them so I have to find a dealer in Dublin to change the settings on it for free.

klauster said:
the car is at West London Audi, I am near Leeds, I had to get it from there to get Jan allocation, it was also one of the dealerships offering me a substantial saving (others didnt offer one at all, new car, high demand etc....)

car being prep'd, private plates going on, then delivered to my work :sm4:
On a trailer I hope?

Saw a very nice S£ in the same colour in Lister Audi Coventry today..very nice. They seem to have some very tempting secondhand S4's for sale..if only I could afford the petrol costs. Still think my Sportback in Misano red is the best colour combo.

Vertigo1 said:
On a trailer I hope?

hehe, of course :yum:

I reckon there will be a few jealous people looking out of windows....

Irish said:
Guys I have to add I am not too happy with the lightness of the steering at low speed.

I nearly crashed last night giving the wheel too much turn and I had to very quickly correct it. At driving speed it's fine but going slowly or parking it's just too light.

My main problem is I did not buy my car from a dealer in Dublin and I am not driving 250 kms to them so I have to find a dealer in Dublin to change the settings on it for free.

I take it the steering feel can be altered?

klauster said:
I take it the steering feel can be altered?

I hope so, I probably be looking for this change as well.

You can find more info about steering boost in the thread about servotronic steering.

JohnS3 said:
:scared2: My god Steve, thats a spec and a half.
Whats wrong with the sunroof, TV and heated rear seats? I think that's about all you missed, did the pen run out?

Should have mine in the next few days!!!

Well by the time I added Sat Nav, Seats and the steering wheel it did not seem too much to add the rest of the items. Things like flat tyre warning and hill hold are quite cheap when I came to add them!

As to the other options, it rains half the year so what's the point of letting light in above your head? The rest of the time the air con is on so whats the point of letting sun in above your head? Its not digital TV and i can't really drive and watch TV (its a skill i've yet to master)! And I don't sit in the back so need a warm **** in the front only!

Hope you have fun in the next couple of days. :yahoo: Do suggest you ask for the power steering settings to be changed at low speeds as I did not find it as agreeable as my current S3 when going sloooow...

2007_0106_150942.jpg

2007_0106_151016.jpg

2007_0106_153733.jpg

2007_0106_153857.jpg

2007_0106_153947.jpg

2007_0106_153959.jpg

2007_0106_154028.jpg

2007_0106_154042.jpg

2007_0106_154117.jpg

2007_0106_154206.jpg

2007_0106_151125.jpg

Looks the business mate, mine will be here soon, not many more sleeps. Dealer said it's being shipped. Sprint Blue as well !!

Enjoy !!!

Looks fantastic! I want one!!! :thumbsup:

Might have to roll up to dealer and tell them I want to replace my 1.8TQ (hey, they won't know it's only a 1.6 - it's not been to Audi since I changed the plate ;)) and I need a weekend test drive :)

Regards,

Rob.

and
stevec said:
Well there was the first aid kit, which I had to order with the bucket seats on the online configurator for some reason...
Lets hope it's not because there's a beaded seat-cover in the first aid kit for drives of over 100 miles! :laugh:

Looks awesome.

One thing though. I would take the plate holder of from the front. Just doesnt suit the car:sadlike: . By the way. First time I picked up my Audi in Ingolstadt, they would not even fit the front one:no: . Lady at the reception said, its due to aerodynamic reasons to avoid buildup of noise or so. :think:Here a pic from a recently delivered S3 for example.
[URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/DJTourist/PICT0273.jpg"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/DJTourist/PICT0273.jpg"][/URL]
[/URL]

stevec said:
Hi, What tyres have Audi fitted? Cant quite make out the details on the Pictures.

I noticed that Audi supplied Continentals on the Tango S3 in the Bristol Showroom.

Same.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!!

That's pretty much what I said at about 8am this morning.

I was overtaking a coach going about 32 km/h and I accelerated for about 5 or 6 seconds in 3rd which would have the car moving along nicely!! There was a roundabout with fairly wide lanes coming up ahead so I said to myself I'll see how the S3 handles this.

I went into the slight bend a *bit* too fast and as I turned the wheel slightly to the left the car started to slide.. I tried to correct it coming through the first exit on the roundabout and it started to slide to the right. At this stage I thought I was going to lose control and suddenly this noise comes from the back and VOOM......... something kicks in and the car is pointed straight ahead again.

I SHAT myself but I found out that above anything else, the S3 Quattro system....WORKS. And I won't be doing it again!!

thats more likely to be the ESP kicking in and actively braking the wheels but yeah... not ideal way to test it out!..
Glad to hear you didnt stuff it into the coach tho!...

Very nice ...

I would say the ESP kicked in .
Dont break it right yet

Irish said:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!!

That's pretty much what I said at about 8am this morning.

I was overtaking a coach going about 32 km/h and I accelerated for about 5 or 6 seconds in 3rd which would have the car moving along nicely!! There was a roundabout with fairly wide lanes coming up ahead so I said to myself I'll see how the S3 handles this.

I went into the slight bend a *bit* too fast and as I turned the wheel slightly to the left the car started to slide.. I tried to correct it coming through the first exit on the roundabout and it started to slide to the right. At this stage I thought I was going to lose control and suddenly this noise comes from the back and VOOM......... something kicks in and the car is pointed straight ahead again.

I SHAT myself but I found out that above anything else, the S3 Quattro system....WORKS. And I won't be doing it again!!

Well I am not so sure this is all ESP.

I have had two drives of the Demo S3 in Bristol (one at night the other in the day) I noticed quite quickly it is waaay easier to get the back out on the new S3, something i only ever did once in 5 1/2 years of my current S3.

The new S3 is far more grippy and agile, but the Haldex has been tweaked far more than I expected compared to my current S3. I looked at the S3 brochure and it does indeed note that the haldex was 'tuned' for the new S3.

When pushed to the limit the new S3 is far more wild than my current one. If i push hard in my old S3, then ESP goes ballistic and reigns in everything in a quite controlled manner.

If you push the new S3 (and i did not chuck it that hard mind) the car shifts its weight/power upon exit of bends/corners quite easily and i too had 'a trouser moment' before I shot off in the right direction again.

The funny thing is that i thought it was me or the road surface! Wow the S3 sounds like it is going to be, errrm, fun!

New Audi trousers anyone? :)

P.S. My S3 is being built in Week 12, roll on end of March! Yippee! :arco:

stevec said:
I have had two drives of the Demo S3 in Bristol (one at night the other in the day) I noticed quite quickly it is waaay easier to get the back out on the new S3, something i only ever did once in 5 1/2 years of my current S3.
Agreed -I discovered this on my test drive back in November. if anyone doubts this, just try throwing the new S3 round a slightly damp mini roundabout a few times at increasing speeds and see what happens.

Perhaps some of our esteemed brethren who have just acquired their cars might like to repeat my experiment and report back (purely in the interests of science to corroborate my findings, of course)? ;)

This is the first car that I've felt is just a tad too much for someone with good overall driving skills but no experience of tracks etc.

Yesterday I was "pushing on" on a stretch of motorway and under hard-ish breaking the back of it got a little twitchy and for a second I thought the back end was going to step out at not a nice speed.

I was offered an Audi track day when I bought the S3 and the sooner it comes, the better!!

Hello Irish,
You sound like a right mad Ba$t@rd altogether, I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm in Dublin! Your car looks great, its defo a colour we don't see to much in Ireland which is great! and we won't see to many genuine S3's either! De-badge and keep the feckers guessing when you leave them for dust! The best of Luck and keep it between the ditches!