Got the S3 this morning..

Irish

Reaction score
Very sleepness night due to excitment and being sick with cold but at 7.15 this morning I got my hands on the S3!

All I could do really was drive to work so I can't tell you an awful lot about it apart from that it's fast and has so much more grip than the GTI in the little bit of driving I have done.

The on board computer is a bit confusing to use - not just the rocker switch.

It also needs a wash as it came from Cork so I'm off to get it valeted at lunchtime....

Just camera phone ones for moment...

I will be doing something with the reg over the weekend. Prob 07 - D1- S3.

interior.jpg

exter.jpg

Looks great matey. Yet another GTi gone for a Audi.

Congrats Mark.

Not a bad way to start the year! Look forward to a more detailed post whne you've had the chance to burn around it.

J.

Very nice too. I should hopefully have mine for the weekend. ;)

Regards, John.

Mine is built next week :)

Nice car Irish :D

Can one of you new S3 guys please fit some 19" RS4s? :)

When you say loads more grip compared to a GTI...
How does the standard A3 s-line compare to the GTI in the grip/handling dept??

P.S lovely car really

mark88 said:
Can one of you new S3 guys please fit some 19" RS4s? :)

Hi Mark, If you had bought yours I'd lke to bet you'd have them fitted already!!!!
:beerchug:

Well 24 hours later...

The oil temp display is certainly an eye opener. Never would I have thought it would take 22kms/over half an hour for the car to reach 90 degrees...just about!

The power is just sweet. I gave it a little bit late last night on a wet road, through a roundabout and putting the power down a bit too early coming out of the bend and it did not budge once. No traction lights, no sliding.. (although I'm sure power slides are easy enough to encourage!).

The noise off it is quite a bit different to the GTI for sure. It's heard higher up the revs compared to that boom the GTI has but where it's been written that it could sound better I think it's pretty nice for a 4 pot.

Another thing I've noticed is that normally with turbo cars, the power dies off eventually before you change up. Now obviously I haven't been red lining it but in the S3 the more you rev the more mental it gets.

On the only negative point, it is quite fond of petrol compared to the GTI.

Irish said:
Well 24 hours later...

The oil temp display is certainly an eye opener. Never would I have thought it would take 22kms/over half an hour for the car to reach 90 degrees...just about!

The power is just sweet. I gave it a little bit late last night on a wet road, through a roundabout and putting the power down a bit too early coming out of the bend and it did not budge once. No traction lights, no sliding.. (although I'm sure power slides are easy enough to encourage!).

The noise off it is quite a bit different to the GTI for sure. It's heard higher up the revs compared to that boom the GTI has but where it's been written that it could sound better I think it's pretty nice for a 4 pot.

Another thing I've noticed is that normally with turbo cars, the power dies off eventually before you change up. Now obviously I haven't been red lining it but in the S3 the more you rev the more mental it gets.

On the only negative point, it is quite fond of petrol compared to the GTI.

sounds lovely mate
You lucky git

Keep the updates coming...

Congratulations Irish, it looks stunning.
I have to wait for my S3 another 3-4 weeks :think:

looks lovely, nice choice of colour as well

i thought the S3 comes with the flat bottom'd steering wheel?

Eeef said:
it does...for a price.

i'd be willing to pay the extra £270 for it if i had enough for a S3 in the first place, i think they look soooooooo good!

interior.jpg

what kind of radio is that , looks different to rns-e ?

I didn't spec the car..

The steering wheel would be nice but the multi function is fine.

The sat nav is the cheaper version hence the way the radio looks.

TBH all these stupid little extras go out the window when you just drive the thing. It has sooooooo much grunt.

Irish said:

This doesn't suprise me to be honest, i had a oil temp gauge on my old Polo and it still took around 20mins to warm up to 80-90 degrees even with a small engine.

At work the engines we develop and run take a good 30mins to warm up to temp.

Also depends on where the oil temp is taken from, ie, gallery or sump.

Irish said:
It has sooooooo much grunt.

mmmmm sounds nice, what power are these S3's?

Its making me look forward to my remap next mth!!!

Congrats, looks lovely... Sprint is a nice colour combo too.
Is the nav monochrome or colour?..
Great roads over your way too; I took my S4 from Rosslare to Galway and it was amazing!...Roads are peach!...

It looks really nice, like the others I think the colour is superb. Enjoy.
Are you running it in in any way?

Robin - not sure if you know but the S3 has a digital oil temp gauge.

As has been said, the figure is 261bhp but it seems to be rounded up to 265bhp in a lot of quotes?

As for running in, I'm not ragging it by any means. I'm giving it time to warm up and I'm giving it a bit of welly now and again through the gears rather than limping around in it for the first 1,000 miles.

I had a guy in a Cooper S try it on last night at the lights. That was fun. :)

Irish said:
As has been said, the figure is 261bhp but it seems to be rounded up to 265bhp in a lot of quotes?

The 265 will relate to PS, not BHP.

C'mon, where are all the pics of the new motor ?????? :)

Very nice Irish, Sprint blue it the colour to go for IMHO. We've got a Black Demonstrator at work and it looks nothing special at all to be honest. But that looks lovely!

you are making me moist!

I really can not wait until next week.... mine is dolphin grey, with dvd sat nav, interior light pack, bose, sunroof, and the light and rain pack

:sm4:

Irish said:
Robin - not sure if you know but the S3 has a digital oil temp gauge.
All new A3s do now.
As for running in, I'm not ragging it by any means. I'm giving it time to warm up and I'm giving it a bit of welly now and again through the gears rather than limping around in it for the first 1,000 miles.
There's a lot of opinion that says this is a much better way of running it in and you need to load the engine up a fair bit in the first couple of hundred miles to properly seal the piston rings. Taking it too easy may well fail to seal the rings properly and you'll suffer from poorer power and economy for the rest of the vehicle's life due to blow-by past the cylinders.

Vertigo1 said:
All new A3s do now.

There's a lot of opinion that says this is a much better way of running it in and you need to load the engine up a fair bit in the first couple of hundred miles to properly seal the piston rings. Taking it too easy may well fail to seal the rings properly and you'll suffer from poorer power and economy for the rest of the vehicle's life due to blow-by past the cylinders.

Yep, well aware of all that stuff and you're right IMO!!

It's just toooooooooooooo tempting not to rev it anyway. :racer:

But lads I promise, Sat afternoon I will have washed her, I want to give it a light buff too and get some plates with S3 instead of 53 on it and I'll take plenty of them.

Little jealous looking at the sprint blue pictures...

But hopefully not for too long :)

Ordered mine today, and ticked most of the option list at the same time (so just hope the bank manager won't pay too much attention)...

Sprint Blue, black-black interior
Bucket seats in Fine Nappa leather
3-spoke leather multi-function Sports steering wheel
Front centre armrest
Acoustic parking system
Door mirrors, auto-dimming and electrically folding
Flat tyre warning indicator
Interior light pack
Cruise control
Hill hold function
Light and rain sensor pack
BOSE sound system
DVD Satellite Navigation system Plus
GSM mobile telephone preparation located in front centre armrest
iPod console

Now the wait begins...

Boo hoo. Sniff.

Congratts to the car, really looks nice!

My dealer called me today and said I probably get my car sometime next week, can't wait!!! Want it now!

stevec said:
Little jealous looking at the sprint blue pictures...

But hopefully not for too long :)

Ordered mine today, and ticked most of the option list at the same time (so just hope the bank manager won't pay too much attention)...

Sprint Blue, black-black interior
Bucket seats in Fine Nappa leather
3-spoke leather multi-function Sports steering wheel
Front centre armrest
Acoustic parking system
Door mirrors, auto-dimming and electrically folding
Flat tyre warning indicator
Interior light pack
Cruise control
Hill hold function
Light and rain sensor pack
BOSE sound system
DVD Satellite Navigation system Plus
GSM mobile telephone preparation located in front centre armrest
iPod console

Now the wait begins...

Boo hoo. Sniff.

Nice specs! What didn't you choose? So long ago I ordered mine so I can't remember what options other than yours u could choose