Got the car back!

edward_harris

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6
Reaction score
Picked up the car yesterday, feels soo smooth! Its only running around 340-350bhp at the mo due to the fact that the fuel pump is not up to the job as anymore boost would make it run lean. So it's booked in on 18th June to have a uprated pump! Should then be able to run more boost and get near the 370bhp! Even so it doesn't feel that much quicker than the Ko4, it does pull alot longer but not that much more torque. so i have spoken to Ed about the next step which would be forged pistons, a bit of work to the turbo to get near 400 - 420 bhp mark. It may also need boring out to a 2.0ltr. But i dont think the hot weather has helped also the haldex seems to be taking loads of power away due to it being 4wd.
Does handle like a dream now tho!

Any dyno plots?? What exactly have they done? Come on, get the list up!

(The Haldex will be robbing you of about 110-115bhp at the wheels)

No dyno plots or anything like that yet- full list

Bigger turbo ihi
single cat
Brembos
Bilsein Pss kit
R32 anti roll bars
haldex controller
front mount inter-cooler
uprated rods
new bottom end
sure theres a few more things but cant remember!
What would happen if i pulled the fuse out for the haldex just for a straight line run?

not sure on the size of the injectors can find out tomorrow tho! say a 2nd gear pull would it feel quicker with the haldex fuse out?

Hi edward,
If you don't mind me asking,what money is in doing just the turbo conversion ???

i think you would be looking at £4000 plus rods if you wanted to go above 350bhp + cat and backbox if you havent already got them!

The lag with the IHI can be deceptive compared to the K04.

I found the s3's traction with the IHI does not help with the lag either, it tends to bog down more.

Comes in mad as badger form 4k revs onwards, and pulls till 7k plus, but it can feel like a very narrow powerband.

Traction off the line helps though and hence 0-100 and 0-120 times were impressive in the one I drove, even only making about 315hp, 0-100 indicated (seemed about 0-96 or 97mph on gps) was consistently 12 seconds.
But you have to work them hard to get the best out of them IMO, can fall off boost sometimes a bit too easy.
I also drove a 2 litre conversion once that made a massive difference with the IHI. was pulling a soild 1bar at less than 2500 revs! And went like stink higher up too!

Ed, I would intesrested next time you come up to APS to have a look around the yellow beasty, let me know and I will pop over and say hi!!

Front mounted intercooler? Haven't all the S3's got front mounted intercoolers as standard?

S3's have twin side mount intercoolers, Golf's and the like have a single side mount. This is why their inlet manifold points in the opposite direction...

Rich

So are the twin side mounted intercoolers less effective? They must of done that for a reason...

Thanks for clearing that up tho tommo-turbo.

Apparently it doesn't make the power with two side mounted inter-coolers. Guessing it doesn't get as much direct air to it like a front mount!

Also more back pressure on the turbo.

Ed did you get the miltek with the centre box or without?

Sounds nice mate, glad you finally got your car back (been a while) but then again that's expected. I am though a bit worried about the lack of detailed info, I would wanna know every part changed in the car, what make and part numbers (but then again that's just me) so a more detailed list of what you've done would be nice, Kinda like Chris's list of goodies when he go it done. P.s. Chris has the car given you any difficulty since the transform?

There is a pressure drop across the standard ic's of about 3/4psi and they become restrictive at about 340bhp.My fuel pump started to max out at 365bhp .I guess your running about 1.5 bar held.Even at 1.6bar peak i was running about 340lb/t and the difference between a remapped k04 and ihi was night and day!!You should also be running a diesel map sensor to run over 1.55bar. 440cc with a fpr should be able to run up to 400bhp.Although the ihi vf34 will not push more than 370bhp worth of air.Run the vf34 at 1.8bar and it will be loads of fun!

Ed said to me it's runnig 1.3 bar at the moment. Also he said my engine breaths differently to any other they have seen, so if they do increase the boost anymore it will run lean hence the new fuel pump. So is there anyway i can get 400bhp with the ihi vf34 when i get this fuel pump + other parts? I will get the final list when it's all complete!

Was it pinking then or detonating when they tried to run it higher...?

not sure i was just told it started to run lean, also they want another 1000miles on the bottom end before any more boost is run!

what brand fuel pump are you getting... have you got a link to it?

A walbro fuel pump 255l/h should be more than up to the job.You shouldn't be getting anywhere near maxing out the injectors(if there 440cc) or pump at 1.3bar,engine breathing?whats that all about?.Sorry mate the vf34 will never produce 400bhp the compressor is too small 60mm,and the turbine side is too restrictive.The most i've ever seen was 380bhp on a high reading dyno and this was with a ported largeport head.

try a bit of nos it would give you up 100bhp and take you above 400bhp easily, also help to keep things cool for a bit. i have a bottle here and a progressive controller if your interested, it,s safe enough if fitted right someone like jbs could do this with a proper map on it too.

Ryanc said:
A walbro fuel pump 255l/h should be more than up to the job.You shouldn't be getting anywhere near maxing out the injectors(if there 440cc) or pump at 1.3bar,engine breathing?whats that all about?.Sorry mate the vf34 will never produce 400bhp the compressor is too small 60mm,and the turbine side is too restrictive.The most i've ever seen was 380bhp on a high reading dyno and this was with a ported largeport head.

Ed did say something about doing some work to the turbo to get 400bhp if i wanted to go that far. Would they change some of the components on the turbo or would they have to get a different one? if so what would you go for?

jamos3 said:
try a bit of nos it would give you up 100bhp and take you above 400bhp easily, also help to keep things cool for a bit. i have a bottle here and a progressive controller if your interested, it,s safe enough if fitted right someone like jbs could do this with a proper map on it too.

Dont really want to go down the road of nos! just want more torque from my turbo, might be a different story when it's running 1.7bar!

have you had any work done to the head,one piece valves springs etc

edward_harris said:
Ed did say something about doing some work to the turbo to get 400bhp if i wanted to go that far. Would they change some of the components on the turbo or would they have to get a different one? if so what would you go for?

To be honest,even with a load of porting and a big compressor wheel ie pe1820f ,you would need a large port head ,big boost like 1.9bar,bigger 540cc injectors.You might just scrape 400bhp,i reckon you'd need to rev to 7500rpm and would need some decent one piece valves.
Other option is a td05h 20g or td06 20g turbos. But it will start getting laggy at this point on a 1.8.

Ryanc said:
To be honest,even with a load of porting and a big compressor wheel ie pe1820f ,you would need a large port head ,big boost like 1.9bar,bigger 540cc injectors.You might just scrape 400bhp,i reckon you'd need to rev to 7500rpm and would need some decent one piece valves.
Other option is a td05h 20g or td06 20g turbos. But it will start getting laggy at this point on a 1.8.

i have thought about doing the 2ltr conversion if i wanted to get more power. The only thing is it's going to be so much £ again to do that + a even bigger turbo! Hopefully when it's running 1.7bar it will be different! just feels like it's down on torque, ive been in my mates rx7 and Subaru sti and they really hit you in the back, i no the s3 is a completely different car but i just want a bit more of a shove in the back! Although i think because it's so quite and sooooo smooth (APS mapping is excellent by the way!) it dosent feel as fast as it is! Will it make a big difference in torque rising from 1.3 bar to 1.7?

edward_harris said:
i have thought about doing the 2ltr conversion if i wanted to get more power. The only thing is it's going to be so much £ again to do that + a even bigger turbo! Hopefully when it's running 1.7bar it will be different! just feels like it's down on torque, ive been in my mates rx7 and Subaru sti and they really hit you in the back, i no the s3 is a completely different car but i just want a bit more of a shove in the back! Although i think because it's so quite and sooooo smooth (APS mapping is excellent by the way!) it dosent feel as fast as it is! Will it make a big difference in torque rising from 1.3 bar to 1.7?

yep big difference in torque +60lb/t possibly,mine pushed me back at 1.6bar peak.You don't need uprated valve springs just one peice valves might be worth thinking about.
2.0 is a bit much £ wise.But will spool the turbo better.

Yea, well its going to Aps weeks Monday so ill see what it's like with more boost! It even struggled keeping with an Honda S2000 the other day! Should be driving past him no problem! What exactly are one piece valves?

What is RichA3Turbo running? I believe he has 330Bhp on his A3, and standalone management.
Which also means his Bhp/Ton is way better than yours, yet I thought he had very similar components.

Lol, I just read some of your older threads from when you were thinking about getting this done. There's quite a few people saying that it won't be as fast as you think it will be.

ChriS3 said:
Lol, I just read some of your older threads from when you were thinking about getting this done. There's quite a few people saying that it won't be as fast as you think it will be.

Yea i do remember that! but ive been in loads of car which are runnig sorta 330bhp and feel so much quicker! just hope when it's 1.7bar ill be happy!

Have you got vag-com edward? Have they rescaled your maf?It should feel fast at 1.7bar mate,i could hold my own at pod with sti's rx7's which had 340bhp.I also was beating rich's time in my lardy s3 so it wasn't slow at all. I ate s2000/350z's for breakfast!One peice valves don't break like the stock ones ,mine were black nitride/inconel exhaust and stainless inlet racetech valves.If one lets go then it's rebuild/£ time!Although my limiter was raised to 7500rpm.It's hard for me to guess whats up because i don't know your spec but if you need me to do some logs sometime i'll be happy to help.

Ryanc said:
Have you got vag-com edward? Have they rescaled your maf?It should feel fast at 1.7bar mate,i could hold my own at pod with sti's rx7's which had 340bhp.I also was beating rich's time in my lardy s3 so it wasn't slow at all. I ate s2000/350z's for breakfast!One peice valves don't break like the stock ones ,mine were black nitride/inconel exhaust and stainless inlet racetech valves.If one lets go then it's rebuild/£ time!Although my limiter was raised to 7500rpm.It's hard for me to guess whats up because i don't know your spec but if you need me to do some logs sometime i'll be happy to help.

ok mate thanks! it had a new MAF about 4months ago so should be ok shouldn't it? Might have to look into the valves! When i get it back again ill ask for some dyno plots and hopefully like you say it will be fast. Dont get me wrong it is fast it's just missing that little extra!

Your maf should be ok,it's just if they have not scaled the maf ,i can see what g/s your maf is producing and roughly what power.Also log boost etc.
Mine had a massive rip on the top-end like 5-7.5k,perhaps there tailing the boost off till there happy with fueling.Where are they dynoing it?

not sure ill have to ask where they are dynoing it, but i have noticed when you approch 6600rpm it dies off, the limiter is 7300rpm

The turbo tends to struggle to hold boost well past 6500rpm,a largeport head would help this though.Anyway get it sorted at 1.7bar and let me know what you think.

do they know what they are doing they seem to be messing you about a lot saying you need this that and the other. either you have a full engine rebuild and you have potential for 600bhp with a wide range of turbos to choose from, or you keep it below 350bhp and have done with it and get it on the road asap. jbs seem to be running things these days with there engine rebuilds,mapping,and big choice of turbo,s and nos. if i had my time a again i would of took it to them.

Mine ran 1.6bar on standard internals for 2 years.Standard fuel pump and 440cc injectors.
jamos3 -did you get yours fitted at jabba?