Got my new Remap

Rick106

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I decided to get my new A3 2.0 Tdi 140 remapped last weekend. The company I used was Pendle Performance and the price was only £195!!

I got the details from Ebay.

Anyway the guy at Pendle, Martin seems to know his stuff. He used to be a car mechanic so knows quite a bit about cars.

Well I've not had it that long but it seems to be pretty good. I've not had it RR'd before or after but I can definitely feel the power difference.
The car pulls much better now all the way through the Rev range and there are no flat spots like there was before.
3rd and 4th gear are now much improved.

My brother has a '98 Rover 620ti which is a 2.0 litre turbo with 200bhp as standard. Previous to the remap his car was significantly quicker, which was quite annoying. Since the remap, i'm still not as quick, but his car only just about beats mine 0-100 with bout 1-2 cars length.

Obviously his car probably isn't running full bhp but it is quick.

So overall I'm really impressed with the remap. I could do with some more power though. But i guess I need a petrol for that.

Just thought I'd let you guys know about my experience Pendle Performance.

Rich

Hi Rich

I’ve also been tinkering with the idea of a remap and it sounds like your £200 investment was money well spent. There are a lot of people who claim by the more expensive remaps which cost in excess of £500

I’m just wondering what the difference is between the many remaps that can be found at £200 and those at excess of £500? According to power claims there doesn’t seem to be that much of a difference to warrant spending all the extra dosh?

the main reason for the excess price is due to insurance - so the company has cover incase something goes wrong!

to remap a car takes about 10mins so you are paying a guy £200-500 for 10mins work plus the software!

it might just be me but i would be warey about a £200 map

when you get it RR'd id love to see a scan of the print out to see how smooth the power curve is

a map takes up to 2 weeks to adapt so hopefully you will see much more improvements over the next few days!

I agree with Boydie, how R&R has gone into that map? How long has it been tested for, what happens if the engine goes pop because of it.

Most of the high cost of re-maps are down to the tuning companies having to pay for licensing from the manufacturer,

Over time re-maps for a certian model come down once the licensing has been paid.

Take the Calibra turbo for example with an EDS re-map, an old model I know, but back in it's day an EDS re-map to 250bhp would cost around £4-£500.

Now you can get it done for £95!!!

I have the Superchips bluefin on mine and have a lot of confidence in the knowledge and experience of Superchips.

As they say, you get what you pay for.

Yeah exactly you do get what you pay for. Remaps costing £500 ish usually include a RR test and are done by experienced companies with a good reputation.

I don't imagine my Remap is performance wise much if any different to other tuning companies. Therefore i did take a bit of a risk using this new company, however "touch wood" it seems to have worked out really well.

I do want to get it RR'd though so I'll let you guys know once I have done.

I'm thinking about getting a drop in air filter now. I've heard that the K&N are a bit too oily, so might get a pipercross one. Any input?

Rich

Rick106 said:
I'm thinking about getting a drop in air filter now. I've heard that the K&N are a bit too oily, so might get a pipercross one. Any input?

Rich

Nahh, leave the stock paper one in there. It's well known that these are well up to the job. They're cheap and as chips. Do a search on here about 'Performance filters', it's quite an eye-opener.

Rick106 said:
Hey guys,

I decided to get my new A3 2.0 Tdi 140 remapped last weekend. The company I used was Pendle Performance and the price was only £195!!

I got the details from Ebay.

Anyway the guy at Pendle, Martin seems to know his stuff. He used to be a car mechanic so knows quite a bit about cars.

Well I've not had it that long but it seems to be pretty good. I've not had it RR'd before or after but I can definitely feel the power difference.
The car pulls much better now all the way through the Rev range and there are no flat spots like there was before.
3rd and 4th gear are now much improved.

My brother has a '98 Rover 620ti which is a 2.0 litre turbo with 200bhp as standard. Previous to the remap his car was significantly quicker, which was quite annoying. Since the remap, i'm still not as quick, but his car only just about beats mine 0-100 with bout 1-2 cars length.

Obviously his car probably isn't running full bhp but it is quick.

So overall I'm really impressed with the remap. I could do with some more power though. But i guess I need a petrol for that.

Just thought I'd let you guys know about my experience Pendle Performance.

Rich

Rich,

It was a pleasure meeting you and sorting the remap out on your A3 TDI, Also thanks for the nice feedback on this forum.

We are much cheaper than others as we do not have all the overheads like other tuners with us being mobile, we only use the best maps tuned by a company in Germany who develop there maps on rolling roads.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to cars and can guarantee all the work I carry out to be of the very highest standard.

Richard any help or advice you need with the car just ask.

Enjoy the car.

Also could you give us a heads up with the remap figures when you get it on a rolling road.

Thanks
Martin
Pendle Performance

No worries Martin, cheers for your work. Well done for finding this post too. I was going to send you an email with a link.

Just discussing getting a new air filter. But looking at other posts it seems like it could cause problems with the MAF although there's not really any evidence.

The recommendations in the previous posts are quite random. Some say they get better throttle response and others say that it makes no difference and that the paper air filter is good for 400bhp.

Do you reckon its worth it for that extra 1-3 bhp?

If so which one should I get a Green one, K&N or a Pipercross?

Cheers again Martin,
Rich

Rick106 said:
No worries Martin, cheers for your work. Well done for finding this post too. I was going to send you an email with a link.

Just discussing getting a new air filter. But looking at other posts it seems like it could cause problems with the MAF although there's not really any evidence.

The recommendations in the previous posts are quite random. Some say they get better throttle response and others say that it makes no difference and that the paper air filter is good for 400bhp.

Do you reckon its worth it for that extra 1-3 bhp?

If so which one should I get a Green one, K&N or a Pipercross?

Cheers again Martin,
Rich

Rich,

Stick with the original air box and replace the panel filter with a K&N Panel filter. Think they are around £40.

Also use performance diesel, think shell is one of the best.

I have had a K&N pannel fillter fitted for the last 2 years, not had any problems. I have also cleaned and re-oiled it, again with no problems. Might just be lucky but I think a few people may get a bit too keen when re-oiling.

Right, thats good. Have you felt any improvement though?

Hard to tell as I had the exhaust fitted the following day. I the brief period before I did notice that the car reved a lot more freely than before. IMO aftermarket filters do tend to be less restrictive than their paper equivalent.