Got my car back :o)

V6Pete

Now running on Bentley's y'all
Reaction score
After having half the engine replaced, my car is back!

If always felt a little hesitant pulling away in 1st, and is now incredibly responsive, almost feeling over sensitive!

I never had any major issues with holding the engine at constant revs, but it always jumped slightly - it's now completely stable.

I know driving a lardy diesel for the last 2 weeks will be a factor, but honestly my car is driving the best it ever has done.

Good news Pete!

I do think that maybe the DSG cars show this problem up more.....

Cheers. Still waiting on the invoice for a complete breakdown of what was replaced, but it certainly includes the cam chains, tensioners, oil pump, VVT solenoids - basically everything related to the camshafts other than the cams themselves!

They are confident that the VVT solenoids were the main issue, but who knows? If it continues running right, then I guess it's all good!

Yup.

How much work is replacing the VVT solenoids?

So solinoid replacement is engine out job?

Good to here it Pete. Do you know why they changed the oil pump?

So solinoid replacement is engine out job?

I don't believe so, but they quoted something like 12-14 hours!!

Good to here it Pete. Do you know why they changed the oil pump?

That was part of the cam chain swap - there's a theory that a gunked up oil pump can cause a chain stretch, so is recommended to be done while they're down there.

Should also add that they changed £500 of cam adjusters also!

Yeah, I had read on other forums that the oil pump was a possible cause. A bit miffed that they haven't changed mine, especially when the bill came to £3100.

Glad your all sorted though.

Probably wouldn't go as far as that, but it doesn't inspire confidence.

Hehe a little silly to do that much work and not replace the pump!

Too true, £500 on a case that holds the vvt's and sensors and leave out a part that can have a direct effect on the chains. Lack of thought springs to mind!.

Anyway back OT

Would be interested in the part number and price of the oil pump Pete when you get the final bill

Too true, £500 on a case that holds the vvt's and sensors and leave out a part that can have a direct effect on the chains. Lack of thought springs to mind!.

Anyway back OT

Would be interested in the part number and price of the oil pump Pete when you get the final bill

Yeah will post up a list of parts on here when I get the bill. Due to the Audi Goodwill contribution etc they hadn't had a chance to produce the final invoice when I picked it up this morning. It's going to be a long list of parts!

Well done Pete..

Mine goes in on the 24th...Ive only done 40k miles and it could well have to come out of my own pocket !!
I would imagine this could well be the end of the Audi experience for me, 2.5 years and £3k of bills to do 20k miles. thats £20+ a week to keep it running and it only had 19k miles on it when i got it. to be honest its not the money its the hassle of the unreliability.