Google maps are no more!

Interesting topic this concerning the PFL. There have been a few posts on a FB group with people with the same question. North east car coding and vagcoding leicester have both said it can be done as long as you have an up to date connect licence. When I enquired a bit more as to what they did, they said just to update the MMI to the latest version fixes the issue on PFL too. As to whether your Audi dealer will do it is another story. Is this true ? They clearly advertise it on their pages, so I assume it does fix the issue, but Im no expert. Anyone had it done ? Does it fix it ? Alix, do you know if this is correct ?

Interesting topic this concerning the PFL. There have been a few posts on a FB group with people with the same question. North east car coding and vagcoding leicester have both said it can be done as long as you have an up to date connect licence. When I enquired a bit more as to what they did, they said just to update the MMI to the latest version fixes the issue on PFL too. As to whether your Audi dealer will do it is another story. Is this true ? They clearly advertise it on their pages, so I assume it does fix the issue, but Im no expert. Anyone had it done ? Does it fix it ? Alix, do you know if this is correct ?
VW Group has stated that MMI3G and MIB1 media units don’t have the hardware needed, and indeed even if you renew your Audi connect, Audi does not add / extend the licence for Satellite View.

Not had a car to test with to be honest but have updated many systems and a number of them have messaged asking for a solution, so I guess that kinda answers the question.

Reactions: 8YARWY
Cheers Alix, thought I would check on here first. Seems a bit misleading them advertising it specifically on their FB pages to be able to do it on the PFL, glad I asked now. Not that they were charging a lot to do it, but it was the trek to get them to do it only to find out it still wouldn't work.

Cheers Alix, thought I would check on here first. Seems a bit misleading them advertising it specifically on their FB pages to be able to do it on the PFL, glad I asked now. Not that they were charging a lot to do it, but it was the trek to get them to do it only to find out it still wouldn't work.
Well as mentioned it may well work but only while you have a valid subscription. My understanding is that when you renew Audi extends all licences valid to your VIN, and as Satellite View is no longer valid for some systems that licence will just state your previous Audi Connect end date where as all the others will be extended for a year etc.

Just thought for everyones info I would question one of the guys that says they can do it. Below is the reply. My connect has been extended but no idea how long for or how to check.

Normally when you apply an update to the mmi, you only update/patch the files that need it. There’s the option to do a total reload of the software including all modules. That’s what needs to be done on a prefl to fix the maps

Reactions: CarterRS
Just thought for everyones info I would question one of the guys that says they can do it. Below is the reply. My connect has been extended but no idea how long for or how to check.

Normally when you apply an update to the mmi, you only update/patch the files that need it. There’s the option to do a total reload of the software including all modules. That’s what needs to be done on a prefl to fix the maps
Go in to Audi connect and have a dig around and you should find where your licence details are. If you have time remaining on your satellite view then am more than happy to perform the update for you in order to test.

If you have Apple/Android car play on the system then surly you can get Google maps from there?. Last time i tried it mine worked. I still prefer the ''Audi map'' on the factory mmi system any way.

Go in to Audi connect and have a dig around and you should find where your licence details are. If you have time remaining on your satellite view then am more than happy to perform the update for you in order to test.
Cheers Alix, he also mentioned something about going into SSH after and changing a few settings, no idea what that meant though lol

not available on PFL
...........can it not be retro fitted?. Audi told me my 2016 RS6 c7 was built 6 weeks to early to have Android auto/Apple car play installed !!!!! . Spoke with DjAlix on here & after a chat with him & a drive over to T-1000 it now all works.
Alix even sorted out some alleged main dealer map/software install's they hadn't done correct. Anything in the future & for me it's well worth the 60 mile drive to have the work done by Alix & Sean (T-1000).

Reactions: 8YARWY
...........can it not be retro fitted?. Audi told me my 2016 RS6 c7 was built 6 weeks to early to have Android auto/Apple car play installed !!!!! . Spoke with DjAlix on here & after a chat with him & a drive over to T-1000 it now all works.
Alix even sorted out some alleged main dealer map/software install's they hadn't done correct. Anything in the future & for me it's well worth the 60 mile drive to have the work done by Alix & Sean (T-1000).

It can with an aftermarket add on otherwise the whole MIB system needs to be changed to the facelift version which is big bucks.

Reactions: RS3 S.
I know this isn't about a A3/S3/RS3 so please bear with me.
My father had the same issue on his 2016 Q2 (same base navsystem) and Audi themself didn't know what to do.

To make a long story short, solution was to have Audi do have a firmware update (no disc or card), connecting the vehicle directly to the factory.
Then Google maps is replaced by "Satellite map", and yes you have manually activate it.

This pictures is after the update and bear in mind from a Q2. (Also in Swedish)
Program software: 1325

View attachment 213250

So keep bugging Audi for the latest MMI firmware.
(It´s NOT one of those over the air updates you can do yourself)

Just heard back from Audi Digital Support saying that the Connect Licence has to be renewed through MyAudi.
This will make you laugh....
View attachment 213288

Charging for something they've removed is is not even remotely legal !!

I have paid for something on the car, I should NOT have to pay again. What next. engine detune to 300bhp and then a month later a new update to increase power to 400bhp and charge £100 a month. This is customer service suicide, and if i don't get it free, i will never buy another Audi again. Fuming.

Seems like they've employed idiots at Audi with 1970s customer service experience. I have 30+ years customer service analysis and design experience.

I am considering the legal action route over this.

Yep, this is what shows up in my MyAudi for my November 2017 FL.
I also have my own Sim.

It is appeared in myaudi for my 2017 rs3, just outside manufacturers warranty and even though its on extended warranty. Nothing in myaudi for the 2014 s3

Dreadful non existent customer services

Lol why are people acting like Google maps going is the end of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its the principle, what next Audi secretley reduce the rs3 fl power from 400 to 300bhp. Then a month later offer an "upgrade" from 300-400 at 100 a month

You do realise google maps is plastered all over their advertising material for the RS3 - i have the 2017 rs3 brochure, so I can remind Audi

Its the principle, what next Audi secretley reduce the rs3 fl power from 400 to 300bhp. Then a month later offer an "upgrade" from 300-400 at 100 a month

You do realise google maps is plastered all over their advertising material for the RS3 - i have the 2017 rs3 brochure, so I can remind Audi

Lol.....read the small print in the brochure

b13d8dbbfcf8e99df4b7905f3be61699.png

Reactions: Count Drunkula, savo and JM 772
Had my rs3 in at perth audi today, google maps overlay stopped just before Christmas as per everyone else they checked my vin car was built end of May 2018 I now have the overlay back no charge under warranty happy days

Had my rs3 in at perth audi today, google maps overlay stopped just before Christmas as per everyone else they checked my vin car was built end of May 2018 I now have the overlay back no charge under warranty happy days
I had mine done last Friday. Free of charge too because under extended warranty. Haven’t checked yet but isn’t it the replacement for google maps as that’s what I was told. Lol, haven’t even checked yet as been so busy.

I had mine done last Friday. Free of charge too because under extended warranty. Haven’t checked yet but isn’t it the replacement for google maps as that’s what I was told. Lol, haven’t even checked yet as been so busy.

T1000

We know, i have the original 2017 Rs3 sales brochure. A big deal was made of it, but at no time was it mentioned that the service could be switched off. It was a shock to see it switched off so quickly, that isnt right. If it was 5+ years then thats not such a big deal, 10+ years, noone will care, but just over 2 years is a joke. If commercially theyve made a decision to not renew then fine, but they have a responsibility to their customers to find an alternative.

Gonna check mine now.

Reactions: JohnM100 and GW1
T1000

We know, i have the original 2017 Rs3 sales brochure. A big deal was made of it, but at no time was it mentioned that the service could be switched off. It was a shock to see it switched off so quickly, that isnt right. If it was 5+ years then thats not such a big deal, 10+ years, noone will care, but just over 2 years is a joke. If commercially theyve made a decision to not renew then fine, but they have a responsibility to their customers to find an alternative.

Gonna check mine now.

All in the wording above I’m afraid.
2 years then once after that.
They don’t guarantee the Google earth service will be available all the time.

All in the wording above I’m afraid.
2 years then once after that.
They don’t guarantee the Google earth service will be available all the time.

I know but whilst Audi remove stuff, meanwhile Tesla update stuff overt the air. Big old car manufacturers really do have to up their game. They cant get away with this crap anymore.

For me, the issue was the way it was handled....or not as the case may be. Non existent terrible old fashioned customer service.

I know but whilst Audi remove stuff, meanwhile Tesla update stuff overt the air. Big old car manufacturers really do have to up their game. They cant get away with this **** anymore.

For me, the issue was the way it was handled....or not as the case may be. Non existent terrible old fashioned customer service.
Don’t usually agree with you, but on this occasion I do!

I am still no further forward to getting earth back! renewed the license to day and was told that google earth will download with the updated ??
Is this true? I thing its all ballsh*t

Loosing the will to live with this, Having got a new license for the year, I still can not get any updates?
I have an myaudi account.
I can log my phone in to the car via Audi connect
I even took my Data card out my iPad and put it in the sim slot and then logged the car to my Audi but still no joy.
Am I missing some think ! or is it so slow it takes weeks to download.
Might just sell it :sob:

Loosing the will to live with this, Having got a new license for the year, I still can not get any updates?
I have an myaudi account.
I can log my phone in to the car via Audi connect
I even took my Data card out my iPad and put it in the sim slot and then logged the car to my Audi but still no joy.
Am I missing some think ! or is it so slow it takes weeks to download.
Might just sell it :sob:
Google Earth doesn’t exist for Audi anymore unless it’s in the very newest cars. It’s been replaced by Satellite maps (basically the same thing) you’ll need a main dealer software update to get it working again properly.

Google Earth doesn’t exist for Audi anymore unless it’s in the very newest cars. It’s been replaced by Satellite maps (basically the same thing) you’ll need a main dealer software update to get it working again properly.
That I have found out, But the thick people behind the desk at the Audi dealership just don't seem to understand the concept and have no idea, useless. I am going to speak to another dealer (different Group) to see if they understand..

Reactions: Bells
Finally got the Earth map update, only taken 5 months for the dealer to get there act together, lol.

Need to do a nav up date now I think, not sure on how to do that.

Finally got the Earth map update, only taken 5 months for the dealer to get there act together, lol.

Need to do a nav up date now I think, not sure on how to do that.
Is it an update to google earth, if so and your car is 2017 or newer then you should be able to do it over the air. Should be an option in the MMI, seetings, about...i think.

If its a change from google maps to Satellite view then its a dealer only update as i think they have to connect your car to Audi Germany and do a software download to install the new Satellite view software (and removal of the google maps)

Is it an update to google earth, if so and your car is 2017 or newer then you should be able to do it over the air. Should be an option in the MMI, seetings, about...i think.

That is strange, mine is late 2017 (MY18) Dealer and then Audi CS said my car was too old. Not overly bothered but would install it if it was available.

That is strange, mine is late 2017 (MY18) Dealer and then Audi CS said my car was too old. Not overly bothered but would install it if it was available.
Mine is a 2017 Oct RS3 saloon, one of the first built to order in the country. People were reselling them 10K over list lol.

Anyway, for my car Google overlay is no more, so after alot of confusion and calls/etc, my local Audi dealer installed the alternative mmi map overlay, satellite view or whatever its called. Its a dealer only update. It was free. Alas, my wifes 2014 S3 is not able to get the update.

I know in the T&Cs it states Audi can only guarantee Google maps for 2 years, but ts poor they havent offered an alternative. They should aslo make this clearer when you buy the car, rather than hide behind T&Cs...i work in IT/Telecoms, so the fact that things become obsolete this isnt an excuse. If Tesla can do it, then other manufacturers should be able to; they should get away from this old fashioned approach to tech where everything is bespoke, limited and hardcoded. Surely itll be cheaper for them to develop to make things more modular across their range and just switch off things that people dont buy.

If its a change from google maps to Satellite view then its a dealer only update as i think they have to connect your car to Audi Germany and do a software download to install the new Satellite view software (and removal of the google maps)
Yes they have updated to Satellite view, think I need to up date the nav system I think.
That I can do myself I think.