Google maps are no more!

Johnoz

Reaction score
As some may be aware already, i have just been told today that Audi don't support the google maps feature anymore.
Is there a way around it ?

Bit of a waste having virtual cockpit now :rage:

Are you referring to Google Earth rather than maps..

Yes my error Google Earth, you are just left with the simple map, it seems all MY18 cars are doomed as google have changed the software.

Unless someone knows different but that whats Audi are telling me and also seem to read online.

I emailed customer services about this.
The told me to send an email to digitalsupport.uk@audi.de
They claim to have fixed it and said that it would be back in 7-14 days but it is not working yet (11 days and counting).

There’s a full thread on this on the A3 part of the forum with a fix listed. Basically requires a dealer update to something called a Satellite Card which is the replacement Google service as the contract with Audi ends in Dec.

I have been given the runaround by Audi no-customer services and audi digital.

Apparently they have renewed the contract with Google as pre-2018 cars will lose google earth overlay and there is no replacement. Fuming and Audi's attitude stinks.

I have heard that Google updated the overlay which has meant that its incompatible with the hardware in Audi cars. Which clearly means that Audi's design and coding is antiquated and very very poor.

So what is this Satellite Card and why have they not mentioned it, is it only available to post 2018 cars, what about pre-2018 cars. Why do I have to find this out of a forum. Audi customer services is appalling/non-existent.

I have been given the runaround by Audi no-customer services and audi digital.

Apparently they have renewed the contract with Google as pre-2018 cars will lose google earth overlay and there is no replacement. Fuming and Audi's attitude stinks.

I have heard that Google updated the overlay which has meant that its incompatible with the hardware in Audi cars. Which clearly means that Audi's design and coding is antiquated and very very poor.

So what is this Satellite Card and why have they not mentioned it, is it only available to post 2018 cars, what about pre-2018 cars. Why do I have to find this out of a forum. Audi customer services is appalling/non-existent.

I spoke to digital services this morning, all good so far she says my car is ok to receive the update.

Just waiting for the dealer to get back to me to tell me if they can do it or not! ( left a answerphone message)

but yes you are right, very poor service from Audi.

Update, dealer says its not available till January'ish, and it is a card she thinks, and is not sure if it's chargeable or not.

But there will be no Google Earth thats done gone.

We shall see.

I know this isn't about a A3/S3/RS3 so please bear with me.
My father had the same issue on his 2016 Q2 (same base navsystem) and Audi themself didn't know what to do.

To make a long story short, solution was to have Audi do have a firmware update (no disc or card), connecting the vehicle directly to the factory.
Then Google maps is replaced by "Satellite map", and yes you have manually activate it.

This pictures is after the update and bear in mind from a Q2. (Also in Swedish)
Program software: 1325

Q2   Nav

So keep bugging Audi for the latest MMI firmware.
(It´s NOT one of those over the air updates you can do yourself)

Just heard back from Audi Digital Support saying that the Connect Licence has to be renewed through MyAudi.
This will make you laugh....
Screenshot 20201212 210749

Reactions: FBF01
Wow thats a bit steep!
Was told that my Audi dealer can renew it twice, a year a time till the car is 5.

My car is at the dealer for some warranty work on Tuesday.
I will raise this and the Satellite Map update.

My car is at the dealer for some warranty work on Tuesday.
I will raise this and the Satellite Map update.

Keep us in the loop on how you get on, I did not get any where as they say they have had no update info from Audi as yet?

If you ask me its very poor as they knew it was going to end.

Is this connect licence charge for FL cars, as digital renewed my PFL for free ( Well the renewal thing doesnt show up anymore on Myaudi), but I have to put my own data sim card in mine, so its my data rather than theirs.

When did they get built in sims on the MMI, I thought it was from 2016 onwards? I need to check the map overlay in the car to be fair, not checked it for a while to see if it works still or not.

So, now there is more confusion.
The dealer spoke to Audi Connect and apparently, I should be able to pay £55 a year for Google maps and the connect license through MyAudi.
In case I was a dullard and had missed something in the App, I don't question it.
Just arrived home, checked the app and the only thing available is as per my screenshot in my post above.
I questioned the Satellite card /maxar data and apparently it is not relevant for my car.
I think that I will cut my losses and just turn off the data module.

Is this connect licence charge for FL cars, as digital renewed my PFL for free ( Well the renewal thing doesnt show up anymore on Myaudi), but I have to put my own data sim card in mine, so its my data rather than theirs.

Audi sorted their pricing structure late November / early December so no more free extensions (separate from the Google Earth issue).

Reactions: Bells
Are these 2 different issues then ? The connect licence you now have to pay for, and the Google earth overlay now expiring this year? What if you have the PFL with the sim card slot that you put your own data sim into ? Do you still have to pay for connect services ? What is the current situation with google earth overlay, anyone know ?

For those with MIB2 High / Technology Pack systems there is a replacement service via a new provider. The graphics are downloaded and stored on demand but you need an update and a valid Audi Connect Licence.

VAG Car Coding is able to perform the needed update, has been rolling this out for a while actually, via genuine firmware and authorised access to the VW Group online service tool to the following vehicles and related models such as S and RS cars:
  • A4
  • A5
  • Q5
  • Q7
  • Q2
  • A3
Updates are ONLY for model year 2017 (MY17) and onwards vehicles ONLY.

A6 and A7 vehicles are not eligible. Currently awning further information re TT and R8 vehicles however we did have an R8 gen 2 v10 working with no issues the other day.

Those with MIB1 and MMI3G Plus or High / Technology Pack systems, Google Earth Overlay is no longer available and there is no replacement solution.

Reactions: Splathead
For those with MIB2 High / Technology Pack systems there is a replacement service via a new provider. The graphics are downloaded and stored on demand but you need an update and a valid Audi Connect Licence.

VAG Car Coding is able to perform the needed update, has been rolling this out for a while actually, via genuine firmware and authorised access to the VW Group online service tool to the following vehicles and related models such as S and RS cars:
  • A4
  • A5
  • Q5
  • Q7
  • Q2
  • A3

A6 and A7 vehicles are not eligible. Currently awning further information re TT and R8 vehicles however we did have an R8 gen 2 v10 working with no issues the other day.

Those with MIB1 and MMI3G Plus or High / Technology Pack systems, Google Earth Overlay is no longer available and there is no replacement solution.

Thats good news, will the car need to be with you do do it?
Whats is cost to do?
What I find funny is Audi themselves don't know a thing :fearscream:

Thats good news, will the car need to be with you do do it?
Whats is cost to do?
What I find funny is Audi themselves don't know a thing :fearscream:
Vehicle would need to visit myself in London or at one of my coding partners around the UK. Anyone offering to do this remotely would not be authorised to do so. I would ask a standard coding session fee of £45.00 for the works.

• A4
  • A5
  • Q5
  • Q7
  • Q2
  • A3

Ok thank you, I will seek an appointment in the new year when its safe to do so, thank you..

Vehicle would need to visit myself in London or at one of my coding partners around the UK. Anyone offering to do this remotely would not be authorised to do so. I would ask a standard coding session fee of £45.00 for the works.
You need to up your fees...bargain service from a top man.

• A4
  • A5
  • Q5
  • Q7
  • Q2
  • A3

Thanks for clearing up . So PFLs with the top spec MIB are ********, for the moment anyway ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for clearing up . So PFLs with the top spec MIB are ********, for the moment anyway ?

PFL cars won’t have the graphics anymore yes. Doubt Audi will come up with an alternative as the MIB1 went end of life end of 2016.

PFL cars won’t have the graphics anymore yes. Doubt Audi will come up with an alternative as the MIB1 went end of life end of 2016.
Oh dear, not good news for me, so will the same happen to MIB2 in a few years ?

Oh dear, not good news for me, so will the same happen to MIB2 in a few years ?

Hard to say. VW group have changed suppliers and older hardware cannot support the new service. No one knows if they will do something similar again in future.

Lol why are people acting like Google maps going is the end of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS3 S. and FBF01
Lol why are people acting like Google maps going is the end of the world.

Once you get used to the Google Earth overlay, it’s cooler than a vial of COVID vaccine.......

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon Zoloiev and FBF01
Is there a list of these partners around the UK, just bought an RS3 FL and maps ain’t working for me either.