Google maps are no more!

Nickyc

Interesting topic this concerning the PFL. There have been a few posts on a FB group with people with the same question. North east car coding and vagcoding leicester have both said it can be done as long as you have an up to date connect licence. When I enquired a bit more as to what they did, they said just to update the MMI to the latest version fixes the issue on PFL too. As to whether your Audi dealer will do it is another story. Is this true ? They clearly advertise it on their pages, so I assume it does fix the issue, but Im no expert. Anyone had it done ? Does it fix it ? Alix, do you know if this is correct ?

DJAlix

VAG Car Coding™ Limited
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
VAG Can Professional
ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)
Interesting topic this concerning the PFL. There have been a few posts on a FB group with people with the same question. North east car coding and vagcoding leicester have both said it can be done as long as you have an up to date connect licence. When I enquired a bit more as to what they did, they said just to update the MMI to the latest version fixes the issue on PFL too. As to whether your Audi dealer will do it is another story. Is this true ? They clearly advertise it on their pages, so I assume it does fix the issue, but Im no expert. Anyone had it done ? Does it fix it ? Alix, do you know if this is correct ?
VW Group has stated that MMI3G and MIB1 media units don’t have the hardware needed, and indeed even if you renew your Audi connect, Audi does not add / extend the licence for Satellite View.

Not had a car to test with to be honest but have updated many systems and a number of them have messaged asking for a solution, so I guess that kinda answers the question.

Nickyc

Cheers Alix, thought I would check on here first. Seems a bit misleading them advertising it specifically on their FB pages to be able to do it on the PFL, glad I asked now. Not that they were charging a lot to do it, but it was the trek to get them to do it only to find out it still wouldn't work.

DJAlix

VAG Car Coding™ Limited
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
VAG Can Professional
Cheers Alix, thought I would check on here first. Seems a bit misleading them advertising it specifically on their FB pages to be able to do it on the PFL, glad I asked now. Not that they were charging a lot to do it, but it was the trek to get them to do it only to find out it still wouldn't work.
Well as mentioned it may well work but only while you have a valid subscription. My understanding is that when you renew Audi extends all licences valid to your VIN, and as Satellite View is no longer valid for some systems that licence will just state your previous Audi Connect end date where as all the others will be extended for a year etc.

Nickyc

Just thought for everyones info I would question one of the guys that says they can do it. Below is the reply. My connect has been extended but no idea how long for or how to check.

Normally when you apply an update to the mmi, you only update/patch the files that need it. There’s the option to do a total reload of the software including all modules. That’s what needs to be done on a prefl to fix the maps

DJAlix

VAG Car Coding™ Limited
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
VAG Can Professional
Just thought for everyones info I would question one of the guys that says they can do it. Below is the reply. My connect has been extended but no idea how long for or how to check.

Normally when you apply an update to the mmi, you only update/patch the files that need it. There’s the option to do a total reload of the software including all modules. That’s what needs to be done on a prefl to fix the maps
Go in to Audi connect and have a dig around and you should find where your licence details are. If you have time remaining on your satellite view then am more than happy to perform the update for you in order to test.

RS3 S.

If you have Apple/Android car play on the system then surly you can get Google maps from there?. Last time i tried it mine worked. I still prefer the ''Audi map'' on the factory mmi system any way.

Nickyc

Go in to Audi connect and have a dig around and you should find where your licence details are. If you have time remaining on your satellite view then am more than happy to perform the update for you in order to test.
Cheers Alix, he also mentioned something about going into SSH after and changing a few settings, no idea what that meant though lol

RS3 S.

not available on PFL
...........can it not be retro fitted?. Audi told me my 2016 RS6 c7 was built 6 weeks to early to have Android auto/Apple car play installed !!!!! . Spoke with DjAlix on here & after a chat with him & a drive over to T-1000 it now all works.
Alix even sorted out some alleged main dealer map/software install's they hadn't done correct. Anything in the future & for me it's well worth the 60 mile drive to have the work done by Alix & Sean (T-1000).

Nickyc

...........can it not be retro fitted?. Audi told me my 2016 RS6 c7 was built 6 weeks to early to have Android auto/Apple car play installed !!!!! . Spoke with DjAlix on here & after a chat with him & a drive over to T-1000 it now all works.
Alix even sorted out some alleged main dealer map/software install's they hadn't done correct. Anything in the future & for me it's well worth the 60 mile drive to have the work done by Alix & Sean (T-1000).

It can with an aftermarket add on otherwise the whole MIB system needs to be changed to the facelift version which is big bucks.

royalsteve68

I know this isn't about a A3/S3/RS3 so please bear with me.
My father had the same issue on his 2016 Q2 (same base navsystem) and Audi themself didn't know what to do.

To make a long story short, solution was to have Audi do have a firmware update (no disc or card), connecting the vehicle directly to the factory.
Then Google maps is replaced by "Satellite map", and yes you have manually activate it.

This pictures is after the update and bear in mind from a Q2. (Also in Swedish)
Program software: 1325

View attachment 213250

So keep bugging Audi for the latest MMI firmware.
(It´s NOT one of those over the air updates you can do yourself)

Just heard back from Audi Digital Support saying that the Connect Licence has to be renewed through MyAudi.
This will make you laugh....
View attachment 213288

Charging for something they've removed is is not even remotely legal !!

I have paid for something on the car, I should NOT have to pay again. What next. engine detune to 300bhp and then a month later a new update to increase power to 400bhp and charge £100 a month. This is customer service suicide, and if i don't get it free, i will never buy another Audi again. Fuming.

Seems like they've employed idiots at Audi with 1970s customer service experience. I have 30+ years customer service analysis and design experience.

I am considering the legal action route over this.

royalsteve68

Yep, this is what shows up in my MyAudi for my November 2017 FL.
I also have my own Sim.

It is appeared in myaudi for my 2017 rs3, just outside manufacturers warranty and even though its on extended warranty. Nothing in myaudi for the 2014 s3

Dreadful non existent customer services

royalsteve68

Lol why are people acting like Google maps going is the end of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its the principle, what next Audi secretley reduce the rs3 fl power from 400 to 300bhp. Then a month later offer an "upgrade" from 300-400 at 100 a month

You do realise google maps is plastered all over their advertising material for the RS3 - i have the 2017 rs3 brochure, so I can remind Audi

T-1000

Its the principle, what next Audi secretley reduce the rs3 fl power from 400 to 300bhp. Then a month later offer an "upgrade" from 300-400 at 100 a month

You do realise google maps is plastered all over their advertising material for the RS3 - i have the 2017 rs3 brochure, so I can remind Audi

Lol.....read the small print in the brochure

b13d8dbbfcf8e99df4b7905f3be61699.png

CWD

Had my rs3 in at perth audi today, google maps overlay stopped just before Christmas as per everyone else they checked my vin car was built end of May 2018 I now have the overlay back no charge under warranty happy days

royalsteve68

Had my rs3 in at perth audi today, google maps overlay stopped just before Christmas as per everyone else they checked my vin car was built end of May 2018 I now have the overlay back no charge under warranty happy days
I had mine done last Friday. Free of charge too because under extended warranty. Haven’t checked yet but isn’t it the replacement for google maps as that’s what I was told. Lol, haven’t even checked yet as been so busy.

royalsteve68

I had mine done last Friday. Free of charge too because under extended warranty. Haven’t checked yet but isn’t it the replacement for google maps as that’s what I was told. Lol, haven’t even checked yet as been so busy.

royalsteve68

royalsteve68

royalsteve68

No idea why my post appeared 4 times. I only did one

royalsteve68

T1000

We know, i have the original 2017 Rs3 sales brochure. A big deal was made of it, but at no time was it mentioned that the service could be switched off. It was a shock to see it switched off so quickly, that isnt right. If it was 5+ years then thats not such a big deal, 10+ years, noone will care, but just over 2 years is a joke. If commercially theyve made a decision to not renew then fine, but they have a responsibility to their customers to find an alternative.

Gonna check mine now.

Reactions: GW1

T-1000

T1000

We know, i have the original 2017 Rs3 sales brochure. A big deal was made of it, but at no time was it mentioned that the service could be switched off. It was a shock to see it switched off so quickly, that isnt right. If it was 5+ years then thats not such a big deal, 10+ years, noone will care, but just over 2 years is a joke. If commercially theyve made a decision to not renew then fine, but they have a responsibility to their customers to find an alternative.

Gonna check mine now.

All in the wording above I’m afraid.
2 years then once after that.
They don’t guarantee the Google earth service will be available all the time.

royalsteve68

All in the wording above I’m afraid.
2 years then once after that.
They don’t guarantee the Google earth service will be available all the time.

I know but whilst Audi remove stuff, meanwhile Tesla update stuff overt the air. Big old car manufacturers really do have to up their game. They cant get away with this **** anymore.

For me, the issue was the way it was handled....or not as the case may be. Non existent terrible old fashioned customer service.

D0C

I know but whilst Audi remove stuff, meanwhile Tesla update stuff overt the air. Big old car manufacturers really do have to up their game. They cant get away with this **** anymore.

For me, the issue was the way it was handled....or not as the case may be. Non existent terrible old fashioned customer service.
Don’t usually agree with you, but on this occasion I do!