Google maps are back

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has noticed but I saw a few posts today about Google maps returning, and just been out to checked and it's working fine.. Anyone found there google overlay is working again.

Reactions: martinivw, Sandra, DonkeyIce and 3 others
Not sure if anyone has noticed but I saw a few posts today about Google maps returning, and just been out to checked and it's working fine.. Anyone found there google overlay is working again.

Will check and get back to u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will check and get back to u

38f6214d4a2f6e9ee54af7db166b0886.jpg

U weren’t lying there my friend. I Would have never known as I had turned google maps off. Now I feel I need to update to the newest maps

After spotting this thread I tried it out on my 2016 RSQ3 and it is indeed back on. Hope its not just a temporary glitch as it feels good again!

Reactions: Bishop187
Well I never!
Its back on my 2016 S7, though I only have 2018 maps installed:thumbs up:
I'm guessing they were getting complaints from all over, plus everyone has headed to Smartphone and Waze.....

As above, there would be a huge outcry I'm sure, idiotic initial move by Audi imho.

Reactions: martinivw and Bishop187
Just tried mine this morning and low and behold back! Thanks for letting us know

I only got my A6 in the beginning of Feb. I hadn't bothered looking t the google maps as I read it had been disabled but thought I'd have a look today. I'm a total noob with all this, and had a mess about with it, but it says I need to connected to use it. I guess I'll need to get a sim card to plug into the dash with some data on it? It also came up with a message saying "Not enough data in memory. Google Earth will switch to standard map display." Anyone any idea what that's all about?

I've got a 1p Mobile SIM in the dash and top it up one or twice per year. I've an iPhone so it doesn't allow data to be used from your phone to the car (I forget the acronym), but understand Android works.

You can even talk to your car after pressing the audio button on the dash, "Google search Screwfix" and up pops the nav options on screen. I prefer the clarity of the Traffic maps but switch to Google if I fancy seeing the surroundings.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: rjwojcik
I only got my A6 in the beginning of Feb. I hadn't bothered looking t the google maps as I read it had been disabled but thought I'd have a look today. I'm a total noob with all this, and had a mess about with it, but it says I need to connected to use it. I guess I'll need to get a sim card to plug into the dash with some data on it? It also came up with a message saying "Not enough data in memory. Google Earth will switch to standard map display." Anyone any idea what that's all about?

Get a 3 internet with legs data sim, just tested mine with a 1gb - it works again - so I'll be ordering the 24gb/24 month one soon, £30 on Amazon

Reactions: DonkeyIce
Get a 3 internet with legs data sim, just tested mine with a 1gb - it works again - so I'll be ordering the 24gb/24 month one soon, £30 on Amazon

I had this. It’s good but after 2 years used less than 1gb. I’ve now got a free reward sim from Three. It gives me 200mb of free data every month, no need to top it up at all. Used about 100mb over 1.5 months, but now google maps it’s back online might use more.

I had this. It’s good but after 2 years used less than 1gb. I’ve now got a free reward sim from Three. It gives me 200mb of free data every month, no need to top it up at all. Used about 100mb over 1.5 months, but now google maps it’s back online might use more.

That's a good deal right enough. I never used the full 1gb per month either but it did come in handy at times, some of the places we holiday up north the phones don't pick up 3 or 4g but the car usually manages so we can still get online.

Cheers for the replies. I ordered a SIM card and some data to pop in and it works fine now, happy days. Nice seeing the Google overlay on the navigation, looks loads more modern

So turns out, that 200mb a month is not enough , having my google maps activated again, it’s burning through the data. Might have to buy a 24 month data sim again.

So turns out, that 200mb a month is not enough , having my google maps activated again, it’s burning through the data. Might have to buy a 24 month data sim again.

Looks like Three are cashing in on a surge in demand, in less than a week the 24gb has gone up from £30 to £45, similar % rises across the 3 and 12 month packages :-(

Can anyone confirm this is still working for them? It was fine in my A7 but recently bought a ‘66 plate A6 Avant and can’t get it to work at all. The Google logo loads (turns from grey to white) 3/4 of the way then stops. Very frustrating.

Nope, stopped working again a few months ago!

How annoying. I feel like billing Audi for the £45 sim I just bought
The online traffic still works and it is quite good but that is another £44 a year (at least it is for me) so it does add up

The online traffic still works and it is quite good but that is another £44 a year (at least it is for me) so it does add up
Is that via Audi connect or just through the Sim connection? There’s an Audi connect subscription I can but but it’s £112.50 per year! …absolute joke

Is that via Audi connect or just through the Sim connection? There’s an Audi connect subscription I can but but it’s £112.50 per year! …absolute joke
Thats through the Audi connect.
I don't have an A6 so it's a different setup to you.
Online traffic is the only thing I can pay for

Audi switched this service off back in late December last year, then for some reason it came back in March, but then was disabled for good a couple of months ago. There is a workaround but it's not free.. search for a member called Congo on https://www.a5oc.com/ he can help restore google overlay on your MMI system.

Thanks
Audi switched this service off back in late December last year, then for some reason it came back in March, but then was disabled for good a couple of months ago. There is a workaround but it's not free.. search for a member called Congo on https://www.a5oc.com/ he can help restore google overlay on your MMI system.
Thanks for the info. Have they replaced it with something else or is there just no official overlay available? I know this is Audi we’re talking about but surely they can’t just take it away without a replacement?
…I’ll look up Congo - thanks again.

For some models like on the A3 and A4 there was a software update that was available from Audi, but for the more expensive A6, A7 & A8 model Audi could not be bothered providing this software fix.. There was T&C that came with all the google services which stated it could be ended or revoked at any point in time etc. Either way it's gone in an official capacity for the obsolete model A6 A7 and A8. Best option is to message Congo and get the patch to make it work again.

Thanks for the info. …fuels my love / hate relationship with Audi! I’ll get in touch with Congo. Cheers

To save Congo getting mobbed, would someone like to post up what the work around is?
Thanks

Congo likes getting mobbed, he's make £150 a time from this! His mod updates the MMI software with a few patch files. From reading up he developed the fix so he's making a bit of money from it and why not.

Reactions: SBJ
Congo likes getting mobbed, he's make £150 a time from this! His mod updates the MMI software with a few patch files. From reading up he developed the fix so he's making a bit of money from it and why not.
He must be doing very well from it looking at all the requests he’s had on the other forum. Fair play to him too!