Google Maps app via Apple CarPlay?

psychopomp1

Reaction score
Hi

As I have an iPhone X, does anyone know if I will be able to get Google Maps app via Apple CarPlay? Reason being that I find Google Maps navigation far superior to Apple Maps app. Otherwise if the car has a valid MMI Connect subscription can I get Google Navigation without the imagery?

Also can an iphone be connected via bluetooth to CarPlay or is it only via lighting cable?

Cheers

Unfortunately not, CarPlay interface is regulated by Apple and they only offer certain visual templates to developers Music/Radio apps etc.

The Navigation High system offers Google Earth which is satellite imagery, however route planning is still done by whoever Audi uses (not Google).

Reactions: psychopomp1
Unfortunately not, CarPlay interface is regulated by Apple and they only offer certain visual templates to developers Music/Radio apps etc.

The Navigation High system offers Google Earth which is satellite imagery, however route planning is still done by whoever Audi uses (not Google).
Thanks, how is Audi's Navigation system (with or without Google Earth) compared to Apple/Google Maps? Do Audi give you free Map updates for the life of the vehicle? Sorry for dumb questions, never had a built-in sat nav in a car before, my B9 will be the first ever!

It's... ok. It's never failed to get me somewhere but I often arrive wondering if that was the most direct/efficient route.

It still fails the non-main road route test, in that it would have you go down a narrow country lane (with a national speed limit) rather than take the A/B Road with a 40/50 mph limit that runs alongside. I've no idea why they find this complicated, the Sat Nav knows about main roads as they are represented differently on the map but there's no option to 'prefer main roads'.

How it compares to Google/Apple, I can't really say, I've never used Apple Maps as whenever I've played around with it the location data is wildly out of date (First time I used it the local Tesco wasn't listed even though it's 20+ years old. Meanwhile my opticians is still shown in the place it hasn't been for 15+ years). Google Maps still seems to be the best, but I've only really used the route planning sat at home, not as live Navigation.

If you get the 'High' Sat Nav you get 3 years of free updates, usually that's two a year, if you get the standard system you have to pay Audi for each map update which iirc is over £100 a time.

Reactions: psychopomp1
It's... ok. It's never failed to get me somewhere but I often arrive wondering if that was the most direct/efficient route.

It still fails the non-main road route test, in that it would have you go down a narrow country lane (with a national speed limit) rather than take the A/B Road with a 40/50 mph limit that runs alongside. I've no idea why they find this complicated, the Sat Nav knows about main roads as they are represented differently on the map but there's no option to 'prefer main roads'.

How it compares to Google/Apple, I can't really say, I've never used Apple Maps as whenever I've played around with it the location data is wildly out of date (First time I used it the local Tesco wasn't listed even though it's 20+ years old. Meanwhile my opticians is still shown in the place it hasn't been for 15+ years). Google Maps still seems to be the best, but I've only really used the route planning sat at home, not as live Navigation.

If you get the 'High' Sat Nav you get 3 years of free updates, usually that's two a year, if you get the standard system you have to pay Audi for each map update which iirc is over £100 a time.

There’s no ‘prefer main roads’ option, but you can set it up to give you options for distance/time/economy relative routes. The economy one has always been biased to main roads for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having just spent a weekend in Cornwall I can confirm that the Audi routing software is downright bizarre!
As per my previous post regarding the sat nav I have had a very stressful weekend having been sent up so called roads that would just about cope with a push bike let alone a car..... for me it’s the one thing that lets the car down!

If anyone knows how best to configure it then please post, I’m now driving with everything bar motorways set to avoid but the routing is still crap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a way, jailbreaking your iPhone and using NGXplay, enables pretty much every app on your phone. It is mirrored though rather than using a new UI.

Can you not use Waze with iPhone?

The interface isn't as nice as Google Maps, but the crowd sourced routing plus speed camera and other notifications make it the best option imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Can you not use Waze with iPhone?

The interface isn't as nice as Google Maps, but the crowd sourced routing plus speed camera and other notifications make it the best option imo.

Nope. I wish we could though.

(Through CarPlay)

Nope. I wish we could though.

(Through CarPlay)
Arrrg more Apple lockdown...

I had quickly googled it before posting and looked like it was possible but on further examination you need to jailbreak.

Android Auto feels pretty limited, but at least the SDKs are all available to 3rd party developers.

Arrrg more Apple lockdown...

I had quickly googled it before posting and looked like it was possible but on further examination you need to jailbreak.

Android Auto feels pretty limited, but at least the SDKs are all available to 3rd party developers.

I am coming to the point where I may make the switch back over to Android. Just anticipating what Apple will release this year, I do not have my hopes up however.

I gave up with Car Play.

It seems to stop me from being able to use the MMI/VC to make calls, unless I go into CarPlay on the MMI, which is incredibly annoying as it's several presses to do that. It doesn't show album artwork, and you can't use Google Maps or Waze.

Good idea, very poorly implemented.

You can still use the voice command to make calls with Carplay by holding the voice command button for slightly longer which will invoke Siri. You can then ask Siri to make the call, play music, text etc

You can still use the voice command to make calls with Carplay by holding the voice command button for slightly longer which will invoke Siri. You can then ask Siri to make the call, play music, text etc

You can get Siri to do all that without using Carplay too :D

You can get Siri to do all that without using Carplay too :D

Very true but it was more of a point to say that it's not a reason to not use Carplay (although there are plenty of other reasons to not use it).