Google Earth Satellite View

dxl

Reaction score
All has been going well with the new S5 with over a month of ownership. Although I have not been able to get google earth views to load at all. I keep getting the error message below when I try to activate it. I can't even update the maps online which suggests I have a connection problem, but I have the LTE and signal bars up.

I have activated Audi Connect and can do all the things like unlocking/locking remotely and the location of my car so that's working fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? Do I need to buy a separate SIM card for google earth and street view to work? I thought this was all done through the inbuilt eSIM...

Attachments

• IMG_5636.JPG
    IMG_5636.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 296
No separate sim card is needed. Its working fine on my car.
Can you connect to other Audi Connect services, such as traffic info and fuel prices?

I'm not familiar with the B9, but on my B8.5 with SIM card, I need to see certain icons appear on the screen so that I know there is a data connection, just like on most phones. On your photo I see the bars for the phone service. Is the one next to it confirming a data connection?

I had this exact issue on my S4. I had LTE, could do a google search and connect to car etc, but no google maps. Fix was simple :

Go into connection settings and turn the radio module off. Wait a minute. Then turn it on again.
There are some threads on the forums about this.
After doing this, next morning it was working like a charm.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I can get the traffic map loaded up and see the traffic news, not sure where you can get fuel price info. That being said, when I'm in the Audi connect menu and try to do an online search, it doesn't work either.

I assume the icon does mean it's connected. When I try to activate the google satellite view, I can see a little bar loading up at the bottom right corner before it then throws the error message.

@Nham68, I just tried your suggestion but no luck, not sure I did it correctly though...

Last edited:
A factory reset fixed it for me, only done it once when it was new, never had to do it since.

Picked up my S5 this morning and have the same issue. Will try factory reset in the morning.

Hi

I picked up my S5 this morning and had the same problem and there is a reset that needs to be done to get it to work. Follow the following instructions which has been released to Audi technicians for Model year 2018

1) Menu
2) Select Audi Connect
3) Right submenu (knob to right or right button for submenu)
4) Select data protection
5) Select "Activate data protection" - this switches off the data module
6) Data module is switched off
7) Wait briefly till the menu option "Activate data connection" appears again in white
8) Activate data connection
10) Wait for bus silence (ignition off, lock vehicle, wait 20 minutes)

Mine worked fine after that, good luck with the new car :)

Reactions: vinnynall
Same experience in mine when I first got it - fixed as above, then you should get full "online" traffic not just TMCPro which is what you get through the aerial!

Been out all day in the wife's car so not had a chance to mess around with any settings.

Looks like swelli's guide works so I'll give that a try in the morning. Just so I'm clear, do I follow all the steps with the ignition on? As for step 10, do I then switch the ignition off and wait for 20mins?

Been out all day in the wife's car so not had a chance to mess around with any settings.

Looks like swelli's guide works so I'll give that a try in the morning. Just so I'm clear, do I follow all the steps with the ignition on? As for step 10, do I then switch the ignition off and wait for 20mins?
Yes I did it all with the ignition on. Then turned off engine, locked and left the car for about an hour. Came back and noticed Audi Connect has more options ( weather, fuel prices etc...) and was able to launch google earth view.

Thanks guys, worked for me too, although on my A5 I had to click on privacy before selecting data protection.

After clicking activate data protection it said it didn't work and I did not have access, but I clicked it again and locked the car and left it for 20 and it was all ok when I got back in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All working for me now too, big thanks for all the advice, nice to have all the options working like they should now.