Google Earth/Satellite Maps

Will jump on messages tonight / tomorrow. Currently have 50 in the inbox. Been crazy busy between the business and also trying to home school a 6 year old that “knows everything” lol
Hi mate

I've just had the call from Audi, they say they have tried again and it won't work....ugh...can you help me get in touch with your guys to see what they can do?
Sick of the back and forth with Audi now. Happy to pay and get it sorted once and for all.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I have just tried an update on my 2017 Audi Q5 supplied by MAK Car coding and it has not worked on my Audi Q5.

I have edited my post as I have realised I put the wrong Car Coder down my apologises to DJAlix and his Car Coding Business

Last edited:
That’s a real shame.

May I ask if you had this done with [mention]DJAlix [/mention]?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just tried the update on my 2017 Audi Q5 (build date 18/11/2016) kindly supplied by VAG Car Coding and it definitely does NOT work on the older Nvidia units. I am just left with the really awful standard maps. This was my first Audi and it will be my last Audi. Audi don't even support apple CarPlay on more than one screen like say BMW now does so no way round this problem or so it seems!
When did we do this?

That’s a real shame.

May I ask if you had this done with [mention]DJAlix [/mention]?

I put the wrong car coder down in my post. So please ignore and I have edited my original post

Reactions: Exx-on
Ahh - so there may still be a glimmer of hope that [mention]DJAlix [/mention]and his team can potentially get some of our cars updated!

Ahh - so there may still be a glimmer of hope that [mention]DJAlix [/mention]and his team can potentially get some of our cars updated!

Yes there maybe or I hope there is as I mine was at my Audi dealership for other work and they said they would do the update whilst it was there. It came back as it is now even after telling me I would have satellite maps back! They probably used the same update that I tried as it just looks the same as it did before I took it in.

I have just tried an update on my 2017 Audi Q5 supplied by MAK Car coding and it has not worked on my Audi Q5.

I have edited my post as I have realised I put the wrong Car Coder down my apologises to DJAlix and his Car Coding Business
Did you send MAK a picture of your MMI firmware version?

Attachments

• 227EE268-D125-4C41-BC49-4A9F699F5CD3.jpeg
    227EE268-D125-4C41-BC49-4A9F699F5CD3.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 49433951-8B35-4C4C-9476-45D0DEEB8A36.jpeg
    49433951-8B35-4C4C-9476-45D0DEEB8A36.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 242
So they stated it'll work but it doesn't? Have you been in contact with them about this to establish what went wrong?

I have tried to speak to someone at the dealership but trying to get an answer out of them regarding this now seems to be impossible!

Reactions: cuke2u
This is the version now. Is this still the wrong version for it to work?
I literally have the same unit and firmware here at the moment. Unfortunately it does not support the new satellite view :(

the firmware you have had installed in the most up to date for your unit.

Last edited:
I have tried to speak to someone at the dealership but trying to get an answer out of them regarding this now seems to be impossible!
That is not good, they advertise something that will do this, you sent them the correct information and they still claimed it would, yet it hasn't. You have tried to resolve it yet they've not replied. Unfortunately they are at risk as being labelled scammers.

I literally have the same unit and firmware here at the moment. Unfortunately it does not support the new satellite view :(

@DJAlix It was nice to meet you today and have you work on my car.
Nice job on the dash cam install, thank you.
It's a shame the satellite view update wouldn't work, but as discussed if you do figure out a solution please let me know!

Reactions: DJAlix
So, if I understand correctly, NVIDIA MMI devices are not currently (or permanently) supported, at least until a newer firmware is developed.

The Latest NVIDIA firmware is: MHI2_ER_AUG22_K3346 (which still has a "Google Earth" option that doesn't work)

That is not good, they advertise something that will do this, you sent them the correct information and they still claimed it would, yet it hasn't. You have tried to resolve it yet they've not replied. Unfortunately they are at risk as being labelled scammers.

Well I think Audi is the scammer really. They sold a lot of their cars on the google Earth view in the 'cockpit' view and the upgraded central screen only for them not to support it 2/3 yrs later. It is a shame as my Q5 is a lovely car to drive and use but this will put me off Audi and when I buy another car I don't think they will be on my list.

MAK Car Coding sent me the link for free to download and try the updated firmware version. He didn't charge me for trying to see if it worked. Which was very good of him to do so and trusting for me to pay him if it did (Which I would have gladly done if it had worked!)

Last edited:

As I am identical as well, I guess that means my trip to your guys in Leicester is off :-(

I must say I'm disappointed in Audi as a brand also, I get it may have been Googles fault initially. but it's not like our hardware isn't up to the job here is it? You could buy a £50 (or less) smartphone that could run Google maps. What it comes down to is Audi simply can't be bothered to do the programming for it, so have just stuck to the most recent revision where cars are probably still in warranty so people would complain more.

Just strikes of we have your money now so jog on.

As I am identical as well, I guess that means my trip to your guys in Leicester is off :-(

I must say I'm disappointed in Audi as a brand also, I get it may have been Googles fault initially. but it's not like our hardware isn't up to the job here is it? You could buy a £50 (or less) smartphone that could run Google maps. What it comes down to is Audi simply can't be bothered to do the programming for it, so have just stuck to the most recent revision where cars are probably still in warranty so people would complain more.

Just strikes of we have your money now so jog on.
Could not have put it better myself. It is really disappointing that what was a great addition to the car is now useless, Audi should be ashamed that they are letting a lot of customers down. Lets see if they eventually come up with an answer or @DJAlix !!!!

Reactions: Exx-on

So I presume that is it then for any form of satellite view in units. I don't think Audi will write an update that will make them work. Maybe someone might be able to do it? Also I presume you can't replace these units with one that is compatible and also upgrade the screen to touch like the new Audi's?

There is another forum called 'A5OC' and there seems to be someone on there that reckons older cars can be updated to to be honest it's over my understanding by someway. They are called 'congo' not sure if you want to contact them about this? (I do understand that this is for A5's not Q5's)

https://www.a5oc.com/threads/gogole-earth-saga-and-vw-group.176098/#post-1617078 is the link to the first page of discussion

There is another forum called 'A5OC' and there seems to be someone on there that reckons older cars can be updated to to be honest it's over my understanding by someway. They are called 'congo' not sure if you want to contact them about this? (I do understand that this is for A5's not Q5's)

https://www.a5oc.com/threads/gogole-earth-saga-and-vw-group.176098/#post-1617078 is the link to the first page of discussion

Nothing new here, unfortunately.
But there is still hope that NVIDIA MMI devices will get an upgrade:

"...A4/A5/Q5/Q7 vehicles with Navigation system - High (7UG) that are not covered by the TPI document (have system with nVidia chip inside) are also affected. As they do share same hardware as A3 MY2017+ there is a chance that they might get coverage at later stage."

I don't think there is any hope...let's be realistic. They have only fixed the later revision as some cars are still in warranty.
They really don't care about us, so if they haven't fixed it immediately why would they in the future?

For them to even suggest our units aren't compatible is insulting as well, they are barely a few years old and worth thousands of pounds (I saw the warranty receipt for my replacement) like I say a 50quid smartphone, or even a basic smartphone from 10years ago would do the job. They just don't think we are worth the effort to do the programming

It comes down to the fact they've done the minimum they can get away with for the cars still in warranty, likely still with their first owner who would kick up a fuss losing a feature when their car is barely 3 years old. Our cars aren't worth the effort for them, more likely to have people accepting it when the cars older, or sold to someone who didn't even know the feature ever existed.

If it didn't come immediately....it's never coming

I don't think there is any hope...let's be realistic. They have only fixed the later revision as some cars are still in warranty.
They really don't care about us, so if they haven't fixed it immediately why would they in the future?

For them to even suggest our units aren't compatible is insulting as well, they are barely a few years old and worth thousands of pounds (I saw the warranty receipt for my replacement) like I say a 50quid smartphone, or even a basic smartphone from 10years ago would do the job. They just don't think we are worth the effort to do the programming

It comes down to the fact they've done the minimum they can get away with for the cars still in warranty, likely still with their first owner who would kick up a fuss losing a feature when their car is barely 3 years old. Our cars aren't worth the effort for them, more likely to have people accepting it when the cars older, or sold to someone who didn't even know the feature ever existed.

If it didn't come immediately....it's never coming

I hate to say it but I think you have hit the nail on the head with that one.

I have a 2017 SQ7. I reported the loss of Google Maps/Earth overlay before my March 2021 MOT and Service. There is a free software upgrade they will do if you ask. Once done in the map display option where you previously had the choice of GOOGLE MAPS you now get the choice SATELLITE MAPS. It looks almost exactly the same as Google Maps/Earth overlay and shows the houses, fields etc. so the 'feel' is pretty much the same. I havent checked whether this actually does a google maps style search for a destination not saved in the navigation which used to happen but you can also use the Carplay function if you can be bothered for difficult addresses, although if using an iphone this tends to default to Apple Maps not Google Maps.

I have a 2017 SQ7. I reported the loss of Google Maps/Earth overlay before my March 2021 MOT and Service. There is a free software upgrade they will do if you ask. Once done in the map display option where you previously had the choice of GOOGLE MAPS you now get the choice SATELLITE MAPS. It looks almost exactly the same as Google Maps/Earth overlay and shows the houses, fields etc. so the 'feel' is pretty much the same. I havent checked whether this actually does a google maps style search for a destination not saved in the navigation which used to happen but you can also use the Carplay function if you can be bothered for difficult addresses, although if using an iphone this tends to default to Apple Maps not Google Maps.

Yes, this is true and no problem if you have MHI2Q (or Qualcomm) MMI. Owners of MHI2 (or Nvidia) MMIs are in trouble here.

Here is 'Congo" from https://www.a5oc.com/threads/google-earth-for-mmi-3g.176093/#post-1617047

If you scroll down to almost the end I think they almost have a solution as well?
Looks like I've been the guinea pig for this

If you read earlier in the thread, I've had two appointments with Audi, and basically been told no as I had the older chip.
I checked out the link above, and have been messaging the guy this afternoon. He provides update files to run from an SD card, as well as step by step instructions with screenshots on a pdf...

...and...it's all working again! Couldn't be more pleased!

From what I can gather, the update changes the MMI search path for Google Earth from the Audi servers that have been switched off, to connect to the Google servers directly, as a result, it should be almost invincible now unless Google drastically change their services.

All other connect services still work as usual, the update has only changed the map overlay. It's not the new, inferior (so I hear) replacement service either. It's normal Google maps proper, just exactly the same as before

Thanks
fca938f5d0a421f934c4d49f4950f4b8.jpg
952348fa305de9b251ec878537d46b75.jpg
86c15e7cd01bcdcb297e2c53a78a4b34.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

This is amazing news!

Do you mind if I ask how much the service cost?

Thinks are looking positive.. Did you just have to load an SD into the system from downloaded files? Also cost for the service?

Sure 220 euros paid via PayPal.

Yes it's a lot of money for just the overlay. But it just didn't look right without and was spoiling my enjoyment of the car, losing something I'd taken for granted for 3 years. Probably "cheap" compared to physically going to a workshop as well.

I guess it depends how much people miss it whether it's worth it for them or not.

I can say though it was very simple, and all complete in about 30minutes, with a couple of emails and reading the step by step guide. The guy involved is extremely helpful and responsive as well.

At the very least, this shows what is possible now, and my system is very much back exactly how it was before, with a direct link to Google, not the one that existed on the whim of Audi.

Thinks are looking positive.. Did you just have to load an SD into the system from downloaded files? Also cost for the service?
Looks like I was posting as you posted

He sent me some files to put on an sd card, along with a step by step pdf. Followed the instructions and the car generated some extra files onto the card unique to the car. I sent these files back to him, he replied with the final update files and then everything worked.

30mins start to finish, and that's including the time waiting for emails back and forth, so not long at all really