Google Earth/Satellite Maps

What. OMG are they sure, I am thought the sat nav should work isn't it just the overlay that is not present. My Sat Nav is fine but just does not have the Earth overlay. It is still being looked at however by the garage even after having confirmation from Audi Digital that it is compliant.

Apparently so, they checked my VIN in their system.

My normal SatNav (without overlay) works until GoogleMaps finishes trying to load, then it takes over both the VC and MMI screen with just an “Initialising” display , like when your first start the car from cold and it’s loading Nav/maps etc.

Very annoying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just use Google Maps via CarPlay

If you could show us how to display Gmaps via CarPlay in the VC and not just the MMI screen of the B9 A4, I’m sure many of us would appreciate it.

However I’m pretty sure that’s an Audi TT/R8 feature only, thus making your comment not in the slightest bit helpful.

Reactions: Mr Olympik
Apparently so, they checked my VIN in their system.

My normal SatNav (without overlay) works until GoogleMaps finishes trying to load, then it takes over both the VC and MMI screen with just an “Initialising” display , like when your first start the car from cold and it’s loading Nav/maps etc.

Very annoying!

I assume you have changed the map 'type' away from 'google maps' in settings?

I assume you have changed the map 'type' away from 'google maps' in settings?

I did indeed, however I still get the ‘initialising’ screen once the Google loading bar has completed

Changed both the MMI & VC to standard colour view and it still seems to happen!

Erm there is no special “retrofitter” technique. I apply the update the official way using the genuine dealership tool.
So, for £45, using standard tools, you can do something which Audi and dealers say is not possible? And we are expected to pay exorbitant charges for their expertise!

So, for £45, using standard tools, you can do something which Audi and dealers say is not possible? And we are expected to pay exorbitant charges for their expertise!
This is nothing new lol.

Standard tools? No, I use the official tools and the exact same procedures VW Group does only I understand the workings of said procedures and the hardware they relate to.

£45? Not anymore. I will be posting up over the weekend but I will be offering this update for free in a bid to help ASN forum members, those in good standing and those who can visit me in north London.

Just to blow the VW Group official technical document out of the water on this, today I tested a non Technology pack, ie SD Card Based Navigation Data MIB2 Unit, and all worked with the new Maxar overlay :)

Reactions: cuke2u, 8YARWY, Mivi49 and 1 other person
This is nothing new lol.

Standard tools? No, I use the official tools and the exact same procedures VW Group does only I understand the workings of said procedures and the hardware they relate to.

£45? Not anymore. I will be posting up over the weekend but I will be offering this update for free in a bid to help ASN forum members, those in good standing and those who can visit me in north London.

Just to blow the VW Group official technical document out of the water on this, today I tested a non Technology pack, ie SD Card Based Navigation Data MIB2 Unit, and all worked with the new Maxar overlay :)

That’s great news!

I’m glad someone with access to the relevant tools is putting in the time and effort to support this issue on the forums, which Audi seem to think is impossible in some cases.

Thanks [mention]DJAlix [/mention]

Not really getting anywhere! Audi customer services again checked the detail and apparently it shouldn't be possible.....the cut off is apparently build date June 11th 2016....which will be when MY17 officially started, but mine is a model year 17! just one of the very first, so I'm stuck in this "computer says no" state!

Incidentally, even the C.S rep said, yeah I've heard people with much older cars than yours getting it done without issues as well, but I can't really do anything when the system is saying what it is. He told me to try a different dealers - I will probably try Oldham.....had a lot of issues with them in the past, but needs must I guess.

edit: Just tried to make a booking with Oldham....again, same message, the system says it's not available, they will do some more checks and ring me back....ugh! I may just end up taking up DJ on his kind offer if he is sure it can be done, I'm getting sick of this back and forth getting nowhere!

Hi. Just to clarify, Oldham Audi said there is no update/fix available, or your car isn’t supported?

I’ve had a rubbish experience with them over the last year as well. Absolutely hopeless.

This is nothing new lol.

Ah is Leicester off the cards now then? London would definitely be a stretch from Yorkshire

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ah is Leicester off the cards now then? London would definitely be a stretch from Yorkshire

My Leicester location is actually another company which is part of the VAG Car Coding Partner Network. While I fully underwrite and support their works they have their own charging structure. You would be more than welcome to visit VAGPro but there might be a charge involved for their time.

My Leicester location is actually another company which is part of the VAG Car Coding Partner Network. While I fully underwrite and support their works they have their own charging structure. You would be more than welcome to visit VAGPro but there might be a charge involved for their time.
This wouldn't be an issue...I don't expect anything for free

Reactions: DJAlix
This is nothing new lol.

@DJAlix. Hi. You refer to a VW Group official technical document. Is this available?
I have a copy of the US TSB2060681/1 Oct 22/20, wherein a Software Compatibility Table itemises which Audi models can/cannot be upgraded according to cluster version, software train/version & prod release date. I’m not sure how relevant this is to the UK market, but presumably something similar is what Digital CS must use to answer customer’s enquiries?
Are you aware of an equivalent UK/EU TSB , or is this the document you mention? Either way, can you please post a copy?

Yes there is an official UK / EU TPI. Do I have it? Not sure. I have multiple documents on the subject that all seem to link and reference each other so not sure if I have the “master document, for want of a better phrase.

Can I publish? Maybe, depends on the information in the document. Without going in to too much details this is how I support my family and I am not going to give advice and information on a public forum for all the professional leechers to benefit from, which seems to be a massive trend of late :(

No offence but too many people over thinking this “update”, across a number of threads in a number of sub forums. At the end of the day the official advice from Audi is:

-You need an active / valid Audi Connect subscription which is now chargeable. No sub = no service.
-You need a MY17 vehicle with Technology Pack with the exception of Audi A6, A7 and A8 vehicles which are excluded.

While the A6, 7 and 8 have the correct hardware my understanding is that Audi will not extend the satellite view licence for related VIN numbers.

In reality I have updated vehicles which Audi said were not possible, with Model Years earlier than listed, including non tech pack cars all via official procedures.

If your car does not come under Audis guidelines, and Audi will not do the update for you, then seek out assistance from an authorised 3rd party such as myself. Worst comes to the worse you end up with an up to date media system, with any and all performance enhancements and bug fixes, and no satellite display so nothing to loose.

Reactions: OCDaveS4, cuke2u, Exx-on and 1 other person
Yes there is an official UK / EU TPI. Do I have it? Not sure. I have multiple documents on the subject that all seem to link and reference each other so not sure if I have the “master document, for want of a better phrase.

Can I publish? Maybe, depends on the information in the document. Without going in to too much details this is how I support my family and I am not going to give advice and information on a public forum for all the professional leechers to benefit from, which seems to be a massive trend of late :(

No offence but too many people over thinking this “update”, across a number of threads in a number of sub forums. At the end of the day the official advice from Audi is:

-You need an active / valid Audi Connect subscription which is now chargeable. No sub = no service.
-You need a MY17 vehicle with Technology Pack with the exception of Audi A6, A7 and A8 vehicles which are excluded.

While the A6, 7 and 8 have the correct hardware my understanding is that Audi will not extend the satellite view licence for related VIN numbers.

In reality I have updated vehicles which Audi said were not possible, with Model Years earlier than listed, including non tech pack cars all via official procedures.

If your car does not come under Audis guidelines, and Audi will not do the update for you, then seek out assistance from an authorised 3rd party such as myself. Worst comes to the worse you end up with an up to date media system, with any and all performance enhancements and bug fixes, and no satellite display so nothing to loose.
Understood. I did wonder whether some of your comments might verge on compromising your relationship with VAG. I take your point about nothing to lose, so if Sytners don’t deliver as promised at Service time (which I sort of expect tbh), I’ll be looking to arrange something with your good self. Nothing to lose eh!
In the meantime, many thanks for you continued informative input.
Stay safe.

Reactions: Exx-on
After getting confirmation and an email from Audi Digital saying my S4 built 25-11-16 is able to be updated. I now learn from the dealer that after being raised to a level 3 issue and the factory being involved it appears that my car cannot be updated. I have a suspicion that Audi/Audi Dealers are not interested in having to update 1000s of cars!!! Thoughts welcome.

When you say No Satellite Display, I assume you mean just the earth view not the standard map view??

After getting confirmation and an email from Audi Digital saying my S4 built 25-11-16 is able to be updated. I now learn from the dealer that after being raised to a level 3 issue and the factory being involved it appears that my car cannot be updated. I have a suspicion that Audi/Audi Dealers are not interested in having to update 1000s of cars!!! Thoughts welcome.
I think you may be correct. Did they tell you exactly why it cannot be updated? Has @DJAlix seen your vehicle details? I sent him mine (built Aug/16) and he thought it might be possible, though Audi CS had said not.
Also, have you seen Harvey’s posts on the A3 forum? His MY17 S3 was fixed by @DJAlix after Audi Digital Services said no. Worth a read.

Screenshot 2021 02 01 at 192514
IMG 5719
I think you may be correct. Did they tell you exactly why it cannot be updated? Has @DJAlix seen your vehicle details? I sent him mine (built Aug/16) and he thought it might be possible, though Audi CS had said not.
Also, have you seen Harvey’s posts on the A3 forum? His MY17 S3 was fixed by @DJAlix after Audi Digital Services said no. Worth a read.
Back from the Dealer and they really did not have an exact answer as to why it cannot be done. Just murmured on about hardware requirements etc. However when I mentioned that if I went to a VAG coder they agreed that it was probably possible but they would not do it the official Audi way. YEAH RIGHT, believe that if you want but I am now sure they are not prepared to do the work as they will not get paid for it being a free update. I was also told to try a different dealer for a second opinion, no point in that surely if it is impossible to do. I think a lot of Audi owners are getting conned here "allegedly". End of rant. My software details images are for info @DJAlix

Last edited:
York Audi, more convenient, said no and have not returned 3 follow-up calls in a week. Harrogate Audi, 15 miles further, said yes & FOC. As MOT & service are due, I’d rather give the business to Harrogate & let them try a fix, though not optimistic. Just need to book for 13 Feb or later. Think your rant has some merit.

York Audi, more convenient, said no and have not returned 3 follow-up calls in a week. Harrogate Audi, 15 miles further, said yes & FOC. As MOT & service are due, I’d rather give the business to Harrogate & let them try a fix, though not optimistic. Just need to book for 13 Feb or later. Think your rant has some merit.
Lets hope you have more luck than me.

View attachment 215144 View attachment 215145
Back from the Dealer and they really did not have an exact answer as to why it cannot be done. Just murmured on about hardware requirements etc. However when I mentioned that if I went to a VAG coder they agreed that it was probably possible but they would not do it the official Audi way. YEAH RIGHT, believe that if you want but I am now sure they are not prepared to do the work as they will not get paid for it being a free update. I was also told to try a different dealer for a second opinion, no point in that surely if it is impossible to do. I think a lot of Audi owners are getting conned here "allegedly". End of rant. My software details images are for info @DJAlix
Based on information elsewhere, Audi say you need the Qualcomm hardware to get the sat nav maxar update, which is indicated in the software version string as “mmx2qc” rather than the “mmx2” in your version (which I think means it has the older nvidia hardware). As DJAlix has shown, it works on those other versions, but Audi aren’t supporting it for whatever reason.

Hi all, okay so dropped mine off at the Dealership at 8am. The service guy confirmed that the car was in for a Mapping Sofware update but also mention an update to the controller unit? This I wasnt aware of?

Anyway here are my current versions. I should hopefully be collecting at around 1PM so will report back.

Upload 2021 2 2 9 27 41

Upload 2021 2 2 9 27 59

Thanks. Your dealer may not have fixed but, looking at your post of Dec 18 and yesterday’s, they seem to have updated your software, it was same as mine before. Just call me anorak!
Interested to see what happens with Jonfun as all his stuff seems older than ours.

Lets hope you have more luck than me.
Whoops. Misposted to myself.
@QuattroPhilG. Thanks. Your dealer may not have fixed but, looking at your post of Dec 18 and yesterday’s, they seem to have updated your software, it was same as mine before. Just call me anorak!
Interested to see what happens with Jonfun as all his stuff seems older than ours.

And the results are in ... Car is N/A.

Apparently there was some other type of recall infotainment updated performed which the service guy couldnt tell me what it was for, and basically said the Google Earth update was not applicable. What a wasted journey, Cheers Audi.

@DJAlix I may be requesting your services at some point in the non Covid future please good Sir :)

Last edited:
And the results are in ... Car is N/A.

Apparently there was some other type of recall infotainment updated performed which the service guy couldnt tell me what it was for, and basically said the Google Earth update was not applicable. What a wasted journey, Cheers Audi.

@DJAlix I may be requesting your services at some point in the non Covid future please good Sir :)
@Jonfun. Sorry to hear that. Don’t suppose any reason given? Now I’m wondering whether the guy at Harrogate mis-understood and thought I was referring to the infotainment recall, whatever it is. Think I’ll call them again.
Puzzled by negative response from @QuattroPhilG’s dealer after Digital CS had confirmed eligibility. Wonder whether anyone in Audi network know what's going on, or are they keeping quiet trying to save the expense of 1000’s of recalls worldwide?

@Jonfun. Sorry to hear that. Don’t suppose any reason given? Now I’m wondering whether the guy at Harrogate mis-understood and thought I was referring to the infotainment recall, whatever it is. Think I’ll call them again.
Puzzled by negative response from @QuattroPhilG’s dealer after Digital CS had confirmed eligibility. Wonder whether anyone in Audi network know what's going on, or are they keeping quiet trying to save the expense of 1000’s of recalls worldwide?
I think it is the amount of cars that will have to be updated. It will cost them too much. I had proof from Audi Digital but that did not seem to matter as the dealer said that Germany had overridden Audi Digital. As we all know this is fixable they just cannot be *****.

Whoops. Misposted to myself.
@QuattroPhilG. Thanks. Your dealer may not have fixed but, looking at your post of Dec 18 and yesterday’s, they seem to have updated your software, it was same as mine before. Just call me anorak!
To be honest one pic was from December and the Current Version image was from yesterday. So not sure without checking to see if the system had an update. I somehow doubt it as when I dropped it in they said it was all up to date.

Just had my MMI updated via @DJAlix which contains the Satellite fix. My car is a MY17 build so the older hardware and he was able to perform an official update that works without issue.

We're working on getting something interesting working on these B9 cars, I'll be posting a thread soon if we manage to get it to all work well.

As always, VAG Car Coding is the place to go if you need any genuine software updates / retrofits / tweaks. Cheers again!

Reactions: Jonfun, GenerationGav, Exx-on and 2 others
Just had my MMI updated via @DJAlix which contains the Satellite fix. My car is a MY17 build so the older hardware and he was able to perform an official update that works without issue.

We're working on getting something interesting working on these B9 cars, I'll be posting a thread soon if we manage to get it to all work well.

As always, VAG Car Coding is the place to go if you need any genuine software updates / retrofits / tweaks. Cheers again!
Really great to meet both you and your car today, and thanks for the kind words. Will keep you updated :)

Reactions: Kondax
Hi Dj...when you get chance can you see if you received my PM?
Looking to book in at Leicester. Maybe even this weekend if you think it's possible.

I agree it's pretty clear Audi know it's possible as well and just don't want to do it for free, I've been passed pillar to post multiple times between dealers and Audi UK...the dealers first said it's not possible, then Immediately followed it up with but here is the number for Audi UK if you want to pursue further....then Audi UK said the same about the dealer.
Surely if it's not possible then it's not possible? Sounds like they both know it is, but they both want me to complain enough to their opposite number so they will pick up the bill instead of them

Thanks

Last edited:
Will jump on messages tonight / tomorrow. Currently have 50 in the inbox. Been crazy busy between the business and also trying to home school a 6 year old that “knows everything” lol

Reactions: OCDaveS4
Thanks in the meantime I complained to Audi UK again and told them exactly what I thought, that it was down to them not wanting to pay and I knew of instances of it working on even older cars than mine. I then said if you're saying it's not possible then, will Audi UK pay the cost if I get it done elsewhere and it's successful?! He didn't have an answer for that lol
They booked me in to "try" again a week on Friday.

Would still appreciate your advice though, as if they don't get it right this final time, I will be booking in with your guys straight after for as soon as possible

Reactions: Kondax
does anyone have an email address for audi digital

i have a 2017 model with cockpit display so assume it can be upgraded. I miss not having the maps