Google Earth/Satellite Maps

No after waiting 10 mins I gave up on digital and just went to CS as I already have a case number - will try again tomorrow
Cheers
Oh OK, I must have been really lucky as digital services answered straight away when I called them. Good luck and keep us posted, All of this is not particularly clever in my opinion.

Reactions: Keef
Yeah not great, would you mind confirming your software version next time your in the car?

Reactions: Mickannamy
Software Version : 0678
Nav Database : VO3959802DE 0175 ECE 2019
Media Driver : CLU6 MMX2 AU ER G22 306PROD 1

Hope that helps.

My google has stopped it was working at lunchtime but not now!it wasn’t supposed to finish until the 31st, so back to Audi

Ok so another conversation with CS and they are adamant my car cannot be updated as it’s not MIB2!
Just found the TSB so off to check my software

View attachment 213521

Do you have a TSB reference at all so I can look it up?
Mines stopped working, 67 plate Jan 18 cad, keen to have satellite maps restored as the standard map layers look rubbish!

cheers

For those with MIB2 High / Technology Pack systems there is a replacement service via a new provider. The graphics are downloaded and stored on demand but you need an update and a valid Audi Connect Licence.

VAG Car Coding is able to perform the needed update, has been rolling this out for a while actually, via genuine firmware and authorised access to the VW Group online service tool to the following vehicles and related models such as S and RS cars:
  • A4
  • A5
  • Q5
  • Q7
  • Q2
  • A3
Updates are ONLY for model year 2017 (MY17) and onwards vehicles ONLY.

A6 and A7 vehicles are not eligible. Currently awning further information re TT and R8 vehicles however we did have an R8 gen 2 v10 working with no issues the other day.

Those with MIB1 and MMI3G Plus or High / Technology Pack systems, Google Earth Overlay is no longer available and there is no replacement solution.

How do you tell if you have MIB1 or MIB2 please Alix?

How do you tell if you have MIB1 or MIB2 please Alix?
Generic message I have posted in all related threads on the forum. If you have a B9 onwards vehicle you have MIB2 or MIB2Plus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inked and Keef
Car went in this morning. All being done under my 4th year warranty.

My car is booked in on 29th for the update after eventually getting to speak to someone at Audi CS who had a clue as they kept saying
The update wasn’t available for 2017 cars. Spoke to master tech at my dealers who confirmed it would work.

I don’t have any sort of reference but will ask when I’m in

Got the car back. Update took about an hour to do and have satellite maps again. Luckily I got a licence extension before Audi start charging. Did ask about the cost and will be around £200 a year for audi connect.

Reactions: Keef and Buck
I might contact Audi in the New Year. Likely I am changing it for another A5 come March but it would be good to have the maps working for resale if I decide to sell private rather than part-exchange.

Got the car back. Update took about an hour to do and have satellite maps again. Luckily I got a licence extension before Audi start charging. Did ask about the cost and will be around £200 a year for audi connect.

Did they say when they’d start charging for it?

I’ll have to call and see if they’ll renew mine that expires in Jan.

Not sure I’d have bothered if the satellite map overlay wasn’t fixable, but hoping they can do that for me before my warrenty expires.

Think you have to pay now for extending your Audi connect licence.

My a4 had the update applied today by Audi whilst it was in for an oil service, no noticeable difference, as it was never broken in the first place but I didn’t want it to stop working.

TPI for those interested applied to mine was 2060513/8

Reactions: k77
Did they say when they’d start charging for it?
Already have and they won't extend it anymore.
Somebody even e-mailed them a few days before they started charging and got a reply saying "buy it here"
I believe it's about £50/year for remote locking/diagnostics and about £200 for everything else on top. I'll probably go for the first bit only.

Already have and they won't extend it anymore.
Somebody even e-mailed them a few days before they started charging and got a reply saying "buy it here"
I believe it's about £50/year for remote locking/diagnostics and about £200 for everything else on top. I'll probably go for the first bit only.

They started charging on 1 December.

Its about £140 for the connect license and a further £40 for the other bits.

The only two bits of the Audi connect I really use are the overlay and on line traffic so the value is a bit questionable.

Software Version : 0678
Nav Database : VO3959802DE 0175 ECE 2019
Media Driver : CLU6 MMX2 AU ER G22 306PROD 1

Hope that helps.

Hi Phil. My version codes are identical to yours (March 17 Quattro Avant). However a techie at York Audi

(JCT600) told me yesterday that GE had gone due to licence issues and that was it. Nothing to be done. So will contact CS later. Please confirm all has been restored on yours.

My car is also March 2017 and I had the update applied yesterday- I’ll post a pic of the updated software version when I get chance

I have not had mine looked at yet however Digital Customer Services confirmed that my car can be updated. As I believe ALL B9s can. You will as far as I know have to have a current Audi Connect licence which I has seen is now chargeable from 1st December. Mine runs out on 31-01-21. Will see what happens when I take it for an inspection in January. Might end up be an expensive visit.

I had the similar info; DCS say it can be done but my local dealer says the car is to old (66 plate MY2017). I might try another dealer.....

Well it's not good news for me i'm afraid. I contacted Audi CS via email yesterday requesting further info and what the process will be going forward for my 2016 A4 B9 (With Tech pack and Virtual Cockpit). Long story short I received a phone call today from Audi CS and woman informed me that Audi were developing their own update to replace the now unavailable Google Earth functionality but as of now only for 2017+ cars. Gutted :(

..oh and she recommended using CarPlay as an alternative, great!

Well it's not good news for me i'm afraid. I contacted Audi CS via email yesterday requesting further info and what the process will be going forward for my 2016 A4 B9 (With Tech pack and Virtual Cockpit). Long story short I received a phone call today from Audi CS and woman informed me that Audi were developing their own update to replace the now unavailable Google Earth functionality but as of now only for 2017+ cars. Gutted :(

..oh and she recommended using CarPlay as an alternative, great!
Well that makes it even more confusing as Digital CS told me my 66 plate S4 with Virtual cockpit was able to receive the new update.

yep, lovely consistent advice thanks Audi.
I cannot see why an early MY17 is any different from a car build only a few months later. I doubt whether any hardware was changed in that short time. It sounds like ignorance or mis information to me.

I cannot see why an early MY17 is any different from a car build only a few months later. I doubt whether any hardware was changed in that short time. It sounds like ignorance or mis information to me.
I am hoping so too! Might give it a month and ask the question again, or even contact my local dealer.

I am hoping so too! Might give it a month and ask the question again, or even contact my local dealer.
Try phoning CS and select I think option 2 as that is the digital services department. I supplied my VIN number and they confirmed that my car is able to be updated.

Software version after update
(Was 0917 before)

06A8231C 4D70 4BDF BA1C 3B9905A61D0B

Try phoning CS and select I think option 2 as that is the digital services department. I supplied my VIN number and they confirmed that my car is able to be updated.

Spoke with Audi Digital CS just now (0800 279 2884), they informed me that there is an update being developed but only for some specific models (she didnt got into detail about which) and my car was not currently one of them. She suspected the update would be rolled out to other models but it was very early days and she didnt have any further info on timescales. So still not very clear cut at the moment I'd say, she suggested calling back in a month or so and/or contacting my dealer who should have the same info.

Spoke with Audi Digital CS just now (0800 279 2884), they informed me that there is an update being developed but only for some specific models (she didnt got into detail about which) and my car was not currently one of them. She suspected the update would be rolled out to other models but it was very early days and she didnt have any further info on timescales. So still not very clear cut at the moment I'd say, she suggested calling back in a month or so and/or contacting my dealer who should have the same info.
Where are you located?

Seems to be a lot of confusion over this Google Earth business and licences. My initial 3 year licence expired last March. I rang CS and they extended all, including GE, to 12.03.2022 at no cost!

Regarding GE, my local dealer (JCT600 York) is clueless. I have this week spoken with 2 reps from CS Digital, and after checking VIN, both said my MY17 A4 Avant Quattro (with MIB2 & VC) cannot be updated. It seems to be a hardware issue and the vehicle needs to be MIB2 with the later Qualcomm sat-nav variant, rather than Nvidia. This is indicated by ‘Q’ after MMX in the Media Driver version code. So perhaps upgrade to a new unit to keep GE?

Of course, I could be completely wrong & happy to be corrected.

My vehicle details are:

YY17FXR A4 Avant Quattro S-Line

VIN: WAUZZZF45HA051931

Build Date: 08/16

Nav Database version:

VO3959802DE 0175 ECE 2019

Media Driver:

CLU6_MMX2_AU_ER_G22_306PROD1

MMI: MHI2_ER_AUG22_P3241

MU Software: 0678

All licences (incl. GE) to 12.03.2022

E-SIM to 12.03.2116

Hope this helps.

Seems to be a lot of confusion over this Google Earth business and licences. My initial 3 year licence expired last March. I rang CS and they extended all, including GE, to 12.03.2022 at no cost!

Regarding GE, my local dealer (JCT600 York) is clueless. I have this week spoken with 2 reps from CS Digital, and after checking VIN, both said my MY17 A4 Avant Quattro (with MIB2 & VC) cannot be updated. It seems to be a hardware issue and the vehicle needs to be MIB2 with the later Qualcomm sat-nav variant, rather than Nvidia. This is indicated by ‘Q’ after MMX in the Media Driver version code. So perhaps upgrade to a new unit to keep GE?

Of course, I could be completely wrong & happy to be corrected.

My vehicle details are:

YY17FXR A4 Avant Quattro S-Line

VIN: WAUZZZF45HA051931

Build Date: 08/16

Nav Database version:

VO3959802DE 0175 ECE 2019

Media Driver:

CLU6_MMX2_AU_ER_G22_306PROD1

MMI: MHI2_ER_AUG22_P3241

MU Software: 0678

All licences (incl. GE) to 12.03.2022

E-SIM to 12.03.2116

Hope this helps.

yes, lots and lots of confusion ... i'm getting the general feeling that Google have pulled the rug from under Audi's feet without a lot of warning and Audi and still trying to decide/develop a solution!? .. I am very hopeful for some sort of replacement Satellite view mapping service, Virtual Cockpit is not that impressive with block colour standard mapping :(

I have a coding partner in Leicester. If you are up for testing we can sort something out
Appreciate the offer thanks, be interested to know what that entailed - not ideal timing right now, Tier 4 business.

Appreciate the offer thanks, be interested to know what that entailed - not ideal timing right now, Tier 4 business.
Indeed, but when we come out of it am more than happy to apply the fix for you to test as I believe it would work. Am an authorised VW group services provider.