Google Earth/Satellite Maps

L_G

Yeah I figured as much - I think I’ve had it appear maybe once before over the last 4 years but wondered whether it would now be a regular thing due to the modification.

Glad I’m not the only one and fingers crossed it was just another rare random occurrence!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the same - https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/post-google-earth-software-errors.424864/

The good news is that the new software no longer gets 'confused' if the phone is physically plugged in before pressing the start button.

The other change I have noticed is that navigation information displayed in the VC gives a route summary from time to time (ETA, distance to go, estimated delays, etc) which I am fairly sure it didn't do before.

Shawi

Hi All, First post here :sign imnew: I've been following this thread for a little while now.

I've just put a deposit down on a Q7 2017 (registered in 08/2017) and just preparing so I know what to do about the mapping. I had an A5 for a couple of years from 2017 to 2019 and the google maps was the best thing! I used it almost every drive, loved it.

I'll be going into the dealership next week to pick up the car and want to know what you guys recommend I should do.
Where I would like to get to is:
A) working satellite mapping (google or other) and;
B) to be able to track my car, lock/unlock etc using the myAudi app.
C) to get to A & B at the cheapest cost! :rockwoot:

Here is what I have gathered from reading all the posts. Is this all correct?

Qualcomm processor
- Can be upgraded to Satellite Maps
- Needs Audi Connect Subscription (£140p.a. approx?)
- Upgrade by dealer or MAK Coding (£25)
- Can still access myAudi to track car, see fuel, unlock unlock etc (£40p.a. approx?)
- Does this option need a data sim?

NVidia processor
- Can NOT be upgraded to Satellite Maps
- Google Maps can be re-activated by Congo from a5oc (€220)
- Audi Connect services are disabled
- Does this mean I cant connect to the car with the myAudi app to track location and see fuel, lock, unlock etc?

Any help would be really appreciated! Thank you!

Spearo

NVidia units can have google maps reactivated - the instructions are here somewhere and is possible with obd11 or vcds. No expensive Audi connect licence required but it means you don’t have the other Audi connect features or live traffic data overlay on the google maps!
but - some here have commented that the satellite imagery that Audi supply as a replacement for google isn’t as crisp or high res. I can’t comment on that, but my vcds switched NVidia satellite images are the original crisp google ones !
I don’t care about the other Audi connect features- and certainly don’t want to pay Audi 140+ for anything!!!!

Chang

Hi All, First post here :sign imnew: I've been following this thread for a little while now.

I've just put a deposit down on a Q7 2017 (registered in 08/2017) and just preparing so I know what to do about the mapping. I had an A5 for a couple of years from 2017 to 2019 and the google maps was the best thing! I used it almost every drive, loved it.

I'll be going into the dealership next week to pick up the car and want to know what you guys recommend I should do.
Where I would like to get to is:
A) working satellite mapping (google or other) and;
B) to be able to track my car, lock/unlock etc using the myAudi app.
C) to get to A & B at the cheapest cost! :rockwoot:

Here is what I have gathered from reading all the posts. Is this all correct?

Qualcomm processor
- Can be upgraded to Satellite Maps
- Needs Audi Connect Subscription (£140p.a. approx?)
- Upgrade by dealer or MAK Coding (£25)
- Can still access myAudi to track car, see fuel, unlock unlock etc (£40p.a. approx?)

NVidia processor
- Can NOT be upgraded to Satellite Maps
- Google Maps can be re-activated by Congo from a5oc (€220)
- Audi Connect services are disabled
- Does this mean I cant connect to the car with the myAudi app to track location and see fuel, lock, unlock etc?

Any help would be really appreciated! Thank you!
I believe for Nvidia chips Audi offer an update to get satellite maps working again, regarding the myAudi app, to use the range/lock and unlock function you need the 10-digit code that comes on a clear key tag, if you’ve brought your car from a main dealer make sure it comes with the key tag, or the code, if it doesn’t ask them to order one, considering you’ve just brought a car they shouldn’t have the cheek to charge you:)

Shawi

I believe for Nvidia chips Audi offer an update to get satellite maps working again, regarding the myAudi app, to use the range/lock and unlock function you need the 10-digit code that comes on a clear key tag, if you’ve brought your car from a main dealer make sure it comes with the key tag, or the code, if it doesn’t ask them to order one, considering you’ve just brought a car they shouldn’t have the cheek to charge you:)
Oh yes thank you!! I remember my A5 came with two clear tags that I used to register for myAudi.

So seems like I should get the dealer to do the update for me and that NVidia or Qualcomm shouldn’t make a difference?
But what about the £140 ish fee for Audi connect? No way around that?

Chang

Oh yes thank you!! I remember my A5 came with two clear tags that I used to register for myAudi.

So seems like I should get the dealer to do the update for me and that NVidia or Qualcomm shouldn’t make a difference?
But what about the £140 ish fee for Audi connect? No way around that?
I have to order one for my new car, think last time I checked it was £60 which isn’t the end of the world, if it hasn’t already been updated, it’s probably worth getting them todo it while it’s there, I don’t know how accurate this is but I swear I’ve seen posts from people before phoning Audi digital service and been given a years subscription, so I don’t know if that’s worth a try first?

Shawi

Ah right good to know thanks.

Yeah I saw a few posts say that they called and got given a year or two for free but I then read that things changed and you had to extend through the myAudi app. So maybe stopped.

Can I just check, in either NVidia or Qualcomm scenario, do I need my own data sim? Or can I personal hotspot off my phone?

Chang

Ah right good to know thanks.

Yeah I saw a few posts say that they called and got given a year or two for free but I then read that things changed and you had to extend through the myAudi app. So maybe stopped.

Can I just check, in either NVidia or Qualcomm scenario, do I need my own data sim? Or can I personal hotspot off my phone?
The car should have an embedded sim I believe, which will work with a valid Audi connect subscription

cuke2u

With pre 2019 A4's though the connect app is very limited, with my 2016 A4 it can only tell me the service history and I can send destinations to the car and where I last parked it. No remote lock/unlock and no fluid levels either...

glospete

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but I've just got off the phone to the Audi Connect helpline to ask them about Google Earth overlay re-appearing and they told me that this is purely temporary and will be disappearing again, although he couldn't tell me when. So it doesn't look as though Audi and Google have resolved their differences (whether they be technical or financial) and we'll be back to 'standard" maps again in the near future. This of course applies to MY18 or earlier cars.