Google earth not loading

Dean Shirt

Reaction score
Noticed the last two days my google earth view is not loading. Any ideas? It does try to load the earth view but then fails? Thanks

It is being removed. See the thread about Google Earth map support ending. It is right next to this thread in the list. There is a replacement map update to rectify the issue in most cases, but needs to be done at the dealer.

It is being removed. See the thread about Google Earth map support ending. It is right next to this thread in the list. There is a replacement map update to rectify the issue in most cases, but needs to be done at the dealer.
Thanks mate I didn’t see this. What I don’t understand is that I don’t pay for audi connect but I can/could still use google earth and the features without paying?

No problem. Have you checked the Audi connect licence in the MMI. If you have got a used approved the licence would be passed over I believe until it runs out. Also I think Audi will extend the licence free if you ask them. If you got the car new I think it is also free for a year or longer.

I got the car used from third party, had connect and has since been extended for free.

My google earth doesn’t work either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the car used from third party, had connect and has since been extended for free.

My google earth doesn’t work either.

As mentioned above, you need to get the update that is being rolled out at the Audi Dealer. This will fix the issue for you. See the thread about Google Earth next to this thread in the forum list!

Are they removing Google Support from all years/models? My Google Maps on my 2016 with Tech Pack so far still works a treat, as long as Ive put some credit on the Sim card :D .. at least so far so good I hope :\

Last edited:
I am not certain but I think the answer is that because Google have changed the hardware requirements to run the Google Earth overlay you will not be able to see the Earth view if you have it. Standard Google map view I think is unaffected.

Standard Google map view?

The base maps are provided by 'Here' which won't be affected by the ongoing challenges regarding the satellite images.

Standard Google map view?

The base maps are provided by 'Here' which won't be affected by the ongoing challenges regarding the satellite images.
I thought that the Here maps were in the new map update being rolled out to fix the Google Earth view. Are they already being used then?

The software update changes the overlay from Google to Here/Maxar but the the road maps were 'always' by Here

Strangely the Audi app uses Google maps.

For those with MIB2 High / Technology Pack systems there is a replacement service via a new provider. The graphics are downloaded and stored on demand but you need an update and a valid Audi Connect Licence.

VAG Car Coding is able to perform the needed update, has been rolling this out for a while actually, via genuine firmware and authorised access to the VW Group online service tool to the following vehicles and related models such as S and RS cars:
  • A4
  • A5
  • Q5
  • Q7
  • Q2
  • A3
Updates are ONLY for model year 2017 (MY17) and onwards vehicles ONLY.

A6 and A7 vehicles are not eligible. Currently awning further information re TT and R8 vehicles however we did have an R8 gen 2 v10 working with no issues the other day.

Those with MIB1 and MMI3G Plus or High / Technology Pack systems, Google Earth Overlay is no longer available and there is no replacement solution.

I also noticed this over the last few days and assumed my car was having a wobbly moment!

This is rather frustrating considering cars that are less than 4 years old are being affected by this....

I'd take an SD card dump of satellite images for the Nav to pull from, or at least something that allows us to retain a feature of the car we use and, in some cases, have paid for.

I also noticed this over the last few days and assumed my car was having a wobbly moment!

This is rather frustrating considering cars that are less than 4 years old are being affected by this....

I'd take an SD card dump of satellite images for the Nav to pull from, or at least something that allows us to retain a feature of the car we use and, in some cases, have paid for.
Or take it to audi and get the update

Or take it to audi and get the update

From what I’ve read on other forums posts - this isn’t possible.

It seems to be a hardware issue - specifically the GPU used in the older MMI system (NVIDIA vs the newer Qualcomm processors).

If there is a fix to get the older spec MMI systems working with the new Google Maps implementation, then I’m all ears!

From what I’ve read on other forums posts - this isn’t possible.

It seems to be a hardware issue - specifically the GPU used in the older MMI system (NVIDIA vs the newer Qualcomm processors).

If there is a fix to get the older spec MMI systems working with the new Google Maps implementation, then I’m all ears!

They update it to a new provider.

Interesting...

I’m heading to Audi towards the end of the month as it is so I’ll ask the question then.

Hi Mate
Is it simple as my17? Mine was one of the very first on the cut off in 2016.
Also had a new mmi under warranty in 2019 as well

Yet Audi just called me to potential cancel my booking tomorrow as they think my car is too old! I also have tech pack with virtual cockpit etc

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi Mate
Is it simple as my17? Mine was one of the very first on the cut off in 2016.
Also had a new mmi under warranty in 2019 as well

Yet Audi just called me to potential cancel my booking tomorrow as they think my car is too old! I also have tech pack with virtual cockpit etc

I personally don’t think it’s that simple based off of what I have read.

If you’re lucky you may have had your MMI replaced with a newer unit with the Qualcomm GPU meaning the new version of Google Earth will work after the update.

If you’re not lucky it could have been replaced with the same (older NVIDIA GPU) style MMI unit.

Just spitballing here.

Definitely worth mentioning it to them that you had a replacement in 2019 though.

Good news!
They say the update appears to have been successful! But I need to login on the app apparently when I get car back.

We'll see....if it does all work, I still don't know if it's build date related (very first my 17 in June 16) or just lucky I had a brand new mmi fitted under warranty in 2019

Good news!
They say the update appears to have been successful! But I need to login on the app apparently when I get car back.

We'll see....if it does all work, I still don't know if it's build date related (very first my 17 in June 16) or just lucky I had a brand new mmi fitted under warranty in 2019

Spoke to soon...I can see they've updated the mmi. But it's Still not working. They thought it may be as it wanted me to log in to Audi connect, tried that again made no difference.
Please can someone confirm...what they have below as a selectable option? Mine still says Google Earth. Surely that's not right ?

I have no mention of the generic "satellite view" in any menus either

I see my mmi version has changed from 678...maybe they applied the "wrong" update?

46712c64bb94296813a928b9625dbbfe.jpg

Update - had my car in at Audi and mentioned the fact that the update between Audi/Google had rendered my VC satnav essentially useless and asked if there was a fix.

Chap is going to “get back to me on Monday” and thinks that it “shouldn’t be an issue”.

So we’ll see on Monday.

Bearing in mind I have a MY16 A4 with virtual cockpit etc.

Update - had my car in at Audi and mentioned the fact that the update between Audi/Google had rendered my VC satnav essentially useless and asked if there was a fix.
Chap is going to “get back to me on Monday” and thinks that it “shouldn’t be an issue”.

So we’ll see on Monday.

Bearing in mind I have a MY16 A4 with virtual cockpit etc.

Good luck with that then. My S4 with VC MY17 (Dec 16 66 plate) has been at West London Audi since Monday having some work and the update however even after Audi Digital Services telling me 3 times that my car is eligible for the update the dealer says it is not. They are now dealing with Audi Digital directly. So at present no idea as to the final outcome. If you have an issue with the dealer say that the update required is called Satellite Card. Good luck, you might need it.

Good luck with that then. My S4 with VC MY17 (Dec 16 66 plate) has been at West London Audi since Monday having some work and the update however even after Audi Digital Services telling me 3 times that my car is eligible for the update the dealer says it is not. They are now dealing with Audi Digital directly. So at present no idea as to the final outcome. If you have an issue with the dealer say that the update required is called Satellite Card. Good luck, you might need it.

Thanks for additional the info.

I’m hoping there will be a fix, however I suspect there will not be based on the ‘age’ of the car and what else I’ve read online about it actually being a hardware (MMI) limitation rather than just a software update...

Fingers crossed...!

You can ring Audi Digital Services and give them your VIN no. They will check to see if it is available for your car. To be honest I think the dealers can sometimes not be bothered to work too much on issues like this as it is a free update and not worth their worth spending anytime doing research or resolving the problem.

You can ring Audi Digital Services and give them your VIN no. They will check to see if it is available for your car. To be honest I think the dealers can sometimes not be bothered to work too much on issues like this as it is a free update and not worth their worth spending anytime doing research or resolving the problem.

This is the exact vibe I got from the chap at Audi this afternoon... hence my reservations as to whether it will actually be fixed.

I’ll give Digital Services a buzz during the week in preparation for the potential bad news

Just to let you all know. On my car play google maps. I have set this to satellite mode and it looks exactly the same as my google earth did

Noticed the last two days my google earth view is not loading. Any ideas? It does try to load the earth view but then fails? Thanks
Yes this is true, and I have tried it on mine, however the image is not available on the virtual cockpit view which is an issue (if you have the VC) of course.

Yes this is true, and I have tried it on mine, however the image is not available on the virtual cockpit view which is an issue (if you have the VC) of course.
ahh that was going to be my question .. gutted. Ive actually never used Car play .. cables! Ugh!

Arghhh of course. I didn’t think of this. Luckily I don’t have the virtual cockpit. Wish I did though!

My March 2017 B9 A5 was in for an ECU recall/update today and I asked them to update the sat nav.

All done and satellite view now restored. Whilst not the same as Google Earth it’s goo enough and far better than the standard maps.