Google earth maps issue

Mancmilks

Reaction score
Hi,

As of last night I have had a constant issue with my google earth/maps screen in VC and car screen.

Basically it attempts to load and just doesn’t.

The only option I have had to resort to is resetting the whole unit with the silver toggles and large wheel on centre console, which as you can imagine in a car of this calibre I wouldn’t expect to be doing every time I get in.

Anyone else had these problems and have a permanent fix?

Thanks!

I had this issue and it was applying a large data update via the SIM card hence taking an absolute age.

Another time after speaking to Audi Customer Service they did something at their end and sorted it !

I spoke to my garage about this and they suggested booking in the car as they weren't aware of any issues. I declined and phoned Audi customer Service on 0845 769 9777 and they confirmed there is an issue and expect it to be resolved later today. They took my details so they can register how many people it affected. It took 2 mins to do and thanks to Buck for the advice.
I gave my garage a ring and informed them that there is a problem in case they get more people calling.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Buck
One thing I’ve found is that Audi CS are good but highlight to me that there seems to be some communication blockage between Audi UK and the dealers. Surely they should be sending a bulletin out to all if there is an issue, even a temporary one?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Yes very true. I was a bit shocked that I was only dealt with by the receptionist and not passed to the service dept and her only response was to book my car in. They have been really good at my garage on all other things but when it comes to the MMI they seem lacking. The one thing I hadn't checked was my wife's TT and whether the google maps was working on it.

Makes you think that they keep MMI at UK level rather than local for some reason but then good service would be to take the details, log a call,with Audi UK with say a 48 hour turnaround.

On another note, my car is going in for a service on Monday and I had flagged a couple of points to look at. The Master Technician rang me yesterday to discuss the issues in more detail and explain what information they had so far - I was impressed wit that way of working rather than just treating the customer as some technophobe and also not getting all the facts for them to look at the issue properly.

I have the same issue as of yesterday, should I log it with them? Will they fix it for everyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would call them if it doesn’t resolve over the weekend. I don’t know if they apply a global setting although common sense would say yes, their systems may dictate otherwise!

Reactions: Joetidman
Same issue with me this morning - had to resort to using normal maps! I’ll give it until Monday and then contact Audi CS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mines infor a service on Monday so will mention it then

Came back up yesterday. A friend of mine also with an A5 had the same issue and also my wife TT.
Maps are all back to normal now :)

So there is now a thread on this here,on the 8v A3 forum and the B9 A4 one. It is a temporary issue with the servers and will be resolved. Mine wasn't working at all this morning so access appears to be random...

Still wasn’t working for me this morning so I turned off the data SIM via the MMI. After about 5 minutes I turned it on and google maps loaded - I think but cannot be sure, that for the rest of the journey they were fine and as normal.

However, on my return journey home (about 10 hours later) the maps loaded up as they used to (a few seconds) BUT about halfway home I noticed they were very blurry and obviously hadn’t downloaded properly.

I’ll see what’s happening in the morning and report back.

On the Audi twitter feed it states that they are aware of the issue and working on it. Personally I will just waitnuntil it starts working again as it's not like you can't navigate. According to audiworld earth is going anyway eventually..

I have Google Earth on my B8.5 MMI. Yesterday there was a pause when it reloaded when I changed scale, and the MMI did ask me to check my SIM at boot. It wasn't clear if it meant my phone SIM or the car's SIM, so I just ejected and re-inserted the latter, However apart from that Google Earth was working fine.

Mine appears to be fixed! Fine, both on the way to, and return this evening from work! Full resolution maps and apart from taking slightly longer than normal to load (30 seconds rather about 5) this morning everything was great.

Experiencing a similar issue on my B9 A5 - Drove about 10miles today and the loading bar for Google in the bottom corner was stuck at halfway, then on the return journey, it loaded up straight away. Stopped for fuel on the return and upon getting back in the car it stopped working again...

Do you think its worth ringing Audi CS or just wait it out like another forum said above?

I was wrong - after working fine yesterday - totally screwed today! Loading screen whole way home and even froze MMI to point at which it wouldn’t respond and could use normal maps instead!

Don’t know if the problem is Audi or Google’s side but it needs sorting - not a huge problem for me as I know my way to and from work - but anyone relying on the system for their job could be well put out.

Think I’ll contact Audi CS tomorrow regardless of what
It does on my way to work.

Google earth is probably disappearing at some point altogether and anyone who depends upon one system would be foolish as there are better navigation systems out there anyway.

Yes very true. I was a bit shocked that I was only dealt with by the receptionist and not passed to the service dept and her only response was to book my car in. They have been really good at my garage on all other things but when it comes to the MMI they seem lacking. The one thing I hadn't checked was my wife's TT and whether the google maps was working on it.

Yeah. I've got that impression since I bought my S4 two years ago nearly now.

Nobody really seems to be an expert with the inner workings of the MMI. Not even the set up data. I've had my complete MMI unit replaced. Had the google earth issue on Tuesday. Hope it's not a repeat of last time. Good to know it could just be a centralised issue at their end though. Cheers for this

I have Google Earth on my B8.5 MMI. Yesterday there was a pause when it reloaded when I changed scale, and the MMI did ask me to check my SIM at boot. It wasn't clear if it meant my phone SIM or the car's SIM, so I just ejected and re-inserted the latter, However apart from that Google Earth was working fine.

In the B8.5? Daaaaaamn. That's tight haha. I've seen it in pictures but not in the flesh. What option was that part of? My B8.5 RS4 (picking up next week)seems to have tech pack advanced and audi connect with phone prep high.

Does that ring any bells? I think it's a great option for that platform as it spruces it up a bit just, never seen it.

Google earth is probably disappearing at some point altogether and anyone who depends upon one system would be foolish as there are better navigation systems out there anyway.

Where's it off to?

In the B8.5? Daaaaaamn. That's tight haha. I've seen it in pictures but not in the flesh. What option was that part of? My B8.5 RS4 (picking up next week)seems to have tech pack advanced and audi connect with phone prep high.

Does that ring any bells? I think it's a great option for that platform as it spruces it up a bit just, never seen it.

I'm not entirely sure what spec was needed, but mine had "tech pack - high" and "phone prep - high with connect". Looking at the 2015 brochure "Google Earth & Street View" is shown as a feature for the latter but needs MMI Nav+ which is part of the tech pack. So it would seem that your RS4 should have it.

Where's it off to?

Lol, who knows just from what I understand Audi will not be renewing the next licence. The Here company, who provide navigation for audi, bmw, mercedes, ford and others did have its own earth type and street view but I don't know if they will be providing a replacement...

I'm not entirely sure what spec was needed, but mine had "tech pack - high" and "phone prep - high with connect". Looking at the 2015 brochure "Google Earth & Street View" is shown as a feature for the latter but needs MMI Nav+ which is part of the tech pack. So it would seem that your RS4 should have it.

I'll need to pop a SIM in though as I imagine my Audi connect account can't be transferred from my S4. Ugh. Setting that up was s niiiiiiiiightmare

You should be able to delete your car from the web, and the app, version and re-enter the vin...

You should be able to delete your car from the web, and the app, version and re-enter the vin...

Ah hah. I was about to delete to the app but I didn't for some reason. Cheers can't remember my log in details though. Barely used the connect stuff.

Reactions: cuke2u
Username usually will be email, which you can have a password reset sent to..