Google Earth map excessive loading

b0k

Reaction score
Over the past week my Google maps has been pretty much unusable. When you get in the car it starts loading which normally takes a few seconds. Now it takes a really long time - still loading after 30 minute journey. The loading progress bar does increase but even if it gets there, and loads, the next time it starts again. Any ideas?

Mine has been doing the sameness intermittently sometimes stuck on the google maps home page. Worked ok yesterday so maybe it's their servers that were down/under maintenance?

Well that's a good sign, especially if it's a general problem. Thought it was just me again!

I had that thought when it first happened. The other week I had a black screen when using google maps but that sorted itself next time I used the car.

I guess that's the challenge of technology that relies on the internet.

What did the cars LTE signal look like at the time?

I'd be more inclined to think it was your individual connections than Google Servers, They don't ever close down services down for maintenance or any other reason, they simply move the services between data centres when they need to perform maintenance, your talking about one of the largest and most resilient infrastructures in the world.

Possibly an issue with the LTE cellular provider that our cars use for more than one person to have a similar issue at the same sort of time.

LTE signal was good. I was travelling on my usual routes in the city. There are black spots but I know these places and lose signal completely there. This update issue is definitely unusual. Usually takes a few seconds or maybe a minute. Signal in car is strong, but could be Audi LTE service provider internet issue. EE in UK I believe, but very unlikely to have mobile issues for a week and not hear about it. More likely something to do with the car that is slowing the connection. At first I was wondering if maybe the Google Earth app was being updated, but in total it's been updating for probably 6 hours over several days, but I don't know if it restarts each journey

Yes, I checked mine and the signal was good.

I thought it might be updating first of all as I hadn't seen the google loading page on the car before.

I wonder if our cars also go through a third party route rather than direct to google?

Seems to be a lot better now, loaded in under 2 minutes (with the blue Google Earth loading page). Not quite as fast as before but useable - I'll keep monitoring. Perhaps some kind of automatic Google update.

Maybe Audi forgot to pay their bill haha!

I have the same problem - only started seeing the problem early last week and has taken up to 30 mins on occasion to load up. LTE is fine and is happening in the same place , namely where I live , where it used to only take hardly any time at all. Also if you stop and switch off for only a few mins , seems to now go through the same very slow initialising process , whereas before it was almost instant to reload.

I'm in Godmanchester in Cambridgeshire.

Mine now takes around 7 to 8 minutes to load. It's getting so annoying, I've stopped using it.

Glad it's not just me, and the issue appears to external to the cars.

I have been getting the problem over the last few weeks, sometimes on my 45 min journey to and from work google maps doesn't even start... somethings it's working. I do loose signal and get the rubbish warning but google maps never had this issue.!

Only noticed it after doing the "over the air" maps update for 2017/2018... have any others carried this out and noticed the problem or is it happening even without the update?

Is there no option to see regular map? I prefer 2D regular map (bird's eye view) over Google Earth or even 3D maps.

Reactions: gone
Is there no option to see regular map? I prefer 2D regular map (bird's eye view) over Google Earth or even 3D maps.

Yes, there is an option to use 'regular' mapping. Some people prefer Google Maps, and it's irritating when it stops working.
Especially if you don't whether the issue is limited to just you.

Tested mine over the last few days and no issues at all, loads in seconds.

In and around the Herts/Cambs area for reference.

Don't suppose any of you guys with issues have your own additional SIM's installed do you?

I have noticed it a couple of times over the past week or so when using google maps. gave up waiting and switched to normal map view instead.

tbh just waiting for Waze to sort out their Android Auto build and i'll be using that all of the time I reckon.

although if there is any way of importing speedcamera data into the built in satnav i might be convinced not to

Problem has sorted itself for me now, so hopefully others will resolve too. Loading quickly again.

BTW I had problem before and after doing MMI map update. Lasted about a week or so.

My S4 is booked in with the dealers onFriday to look at this problem, along with sporadic lost of all connect services

mine started doing the slow loading again today - took 13 minutes in total on the journey home.

Will see what it's like over the next few days and might drop an email to customer services.

On a typical short journey Google Earth map goes into waiting mode a couple of times and then comes back after a few seconds.
But the VC display continues to show Google Earth map normally, so this isn't a signal issue, is this a different problem Ive got?

The map for area around car will be downloaded so doesn't need to be connected all the time, and short signal disruption shouldn't affect it. I have some signal black spots and don't lose maps.

Don't know why you're getting short waiting mode disruption during journey especially if VC displaying - I've not seen that.

I seem to have the google maps screen alot quick over the last few days but dont really get the full resolution on the maps in google. Very blurry almost is if the bandwidth on the LTE connection is limited although when I am at home or work I start with full signal.... I have had my car since March so about 3 months or so and although I should have the 36 months of connect with the car somehow they have switched it to a "Limited" version after 3 months like the "trial" some have on some cars.

I seem to have the google maps screen alot quick over the last few days but dont really get the full resolution on the maps in google. Very blurry almost is if the bandwidth on the LTE connection is limited although when I am at home or work I start with full signal.... I have had my car since March so about 3 months or so and although I should have the 36 months of connect with the car somehow they have switched it to a "Limited" version after 3 months like the "trial" some have on some cars.
I don't think you get limited bandwidth with or without the trial, if for some reason you where on a trial and it had finished I think you'd find you simply wouldn't have any data services through the cars inbuilt SIM.

@R.A.G youre right. My friend has an A4 and his sub has ended and his just comes up with the standard maps now.

Reactions: R.A.G
On the way home tonight mine still hadn't loaded after 40 minutes.

Clearly something isnt right.

Reactions: Ridders71
I have been experiencing the same thing over the past week - stuck on the loading screen on start up for anything up to 40 minutes. Each time in areas of good mobile coverage so it's not that. I am also only 1 month into the 36 month subscription, so not that either. Something not right, it is unusable. I feel an enquiry to Audi U.K. coming on...

Agreed. Wondering which is the best email to use.

Also, if a few send an enquiry then they are more likely to look into it rather than an isolated incident.

My S4 is going to the dealers tomorrow to look at this issue, I'll report back when I hear something

Reactions: Buck
Interupted my journey today near Ipswich. Had Google Maps working no problem as I drove in the carpark. When I drove out only standard maps were available. Attempting to load Google Earth just froze the MMI on the spooling front screen.
Also noticed today - after downloading updated maps a couple of days ago - that icons for speed cameras were missing on the main MMI screen, but showing on the VC and coming up with audible warning.
There's clearly an issue with the robustness of software and/or hardware.

There is a fault...this. Is in reply to a member on here

IMG 0326

Reactions: Paul_McG and DickiePhitt
That's excellent, thanks for that.

At least we have acknowledgement that there is an issue, and they are looking at it.

Hopefully, it won't take too long to fix !

I have also emailed them. I'll update with any responses.

Mine has been absolutely fine today, straight in as soon as I started the car, twice. Maybe the problem has been fixed?

On another matter, I got av mpg of 39 on a round trip to Manchester and back ( from york, over the M62) without particularly trying to be frugal - I thought that was pretty reasonable!

I spoke too soon, it's not sorted! Thought it was fixed but my Google maps are at it again today! Glad Audi have recognised the issue

My Google Earth/Maps is working again today but taking about 30 secs to load. Maybe that's normal and I just didn't notice this before.

For the record I found that the reason for losing the speed camera icons on the MMI (not the VC) was that during the prompted download of the updated maps the preferences for MMI display must have been changed. Ticking 'All' has restored them on the MMI.

Audi Customer Services have been in touch today to confirm they've passed this to Aud Germany.

She wasn't aware of any other reports herself but has taken on board my comment that many others (on here) are reporting similar issues.

She has booked in a follow up call for 17/7 if we don't hear any updates before then.

Might be worth each on here logging an email with Audi CS (email address is above) so they get a measure of the scale of the issue? This in turn is more likely to push them to resolve it.

I have seen no Google maps today either, infact been more off than on since I collected car 1 week ago.

It's not model dependant so the suggestion is that there is an issue between audi and google...

Well I had an RS3 before and it never failed to show Google Earth, now all I get is 2D.