Goodyear F1 Tyres * Warning *

jamesblonde

Reaction score
Hi all

I've had nothing but problems with GoodYear F1s on my 2006 TDI S-line. The rears went like a 50 pence pieces because their not suitable for rear multi link. This made the car sound like a washing on spin going down the motorway. Audi told me not to find them to the A4.

Then I replaced my brake discs today and took both front tyres off and found them like this ( see pictures below ). I have returned the tyres to the supplier and they are taking this up with GoodYear for me. The cracks are down to the wires of walls and all over the tyres inside and outside walls.

Funny thing is, Audi MOTed by car 2.5 weeks ago. The tyre company think the tyre is faulty and have seen this before on very cheap tyres. They think the tyre couldn't take the weight on the car.

Must say driving down the motorway each day on tyres like this makes me feel sick..but glad their off now.

3373029621_3d0802516f.jpg

3373849326_4284685606.jpg

3373848768_923cf06d79.jpg

3373847624_219e13fae2.jpg

Thanks for the heads up mate, as I'm just about to change tyres myself.

I have to ask - what size and speed/weight rating are they?

I've been told I MUST fit 'extra load' tyres on my A4........

When I first fitted F1's I called Goodyear due to not being able to find any info about the XL (extra load). I was told that the GSD3's were all XL's. I can't say if it's true or not but that's what I was told.

I run eagles on our A4 without any problems. To be honest the damage pictured looks like the tyres have been run flat, or low on air, for a long period of time.

All GSD3's arent XL, but the load index is printed on the tyre. Its upto you to ensure the tyre is the correct load rating for the car. The vehicles weight is printed on the VIN plate, and the conversion from load index number to weight can be found online.

Saying the tyres are unsuitable for multilink suspension is just garbage. We had a pair on the front of our car that went a bit ******, they wore heavily on the inside edges and went oval, but this was due to the balljoints on the front end being seriously worn allowing the camber and toe to move around while driving along. Once fixed the replacement GSD3's have worn completely normally.

They dont last a particularly long time, but this is true of ANY performance tyre. If the tyre is sticky, it will wear quickly, if its some plastic thing that barely grips the road, you'll get 30k out of them.

It might have been a faulty tyre, but cracks like that all the way round BOTH sidewalls would say to me the tyres were either overloaded or underinflated, and run like that for a while.

What load index were they? and what is the front/rear axle weights from the VIN plate?

I've run Eagle F1's on my past 4 cars now and have to say they've been nothing but incredible. I rate them very very highly so suprised with the problems you've had.

I've run Eagle F1's on my past 4 cars now and have to say they've been nothing but incredible. I rate them very very highly so suprised with the problems you've had.
Second that - several RS4 owners are running the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics and most rate them highly - many (me inlcuded) feel they are better than Pirelli PZero Rossos or Michelin PilotSport 2's.

You HAVE to get the correct rating for your car - NOT all are XL rating (check the Goodyear website for details).

I will be fitting the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics again when this set wear out...

Hi Guys,
I've run F1's on my last four cars too, three of them being Audi's, all quattro's, an A3 and two A4's... I simply wouldn't fit anything else.. I had several sets on my last A4 2.5 TDi, and a set on a 300bhp Scooby..that was after a set of P-Zero's which just couldn't compare....
Regards,
Blackwood

Jesus, I've never seen anything like this on Goodyears and I've been recommending them to customers (with no complaints) for two years now. Are you quite sure these are Extra Load tyres and you are running at correct pressure? This is a neccessity on a B6 or B7 A4, also I assume you are running 235/40/18 size tyres?

Wasn't there a thread like this a couple of years back. Worth checking to see what the outcome was on that one.

I have had 2 sets of GSD3's on my A4 and one set on a 530d (heavy car) and they were all fine.

Those tyres look old, what is the manufacture date on the side wall? it will be 4 numbers after the DOT manufacture code, eg 2205 would be week 22 year 2005.

tyres should be replaced after 4 years irrespective of wear.

Oh, and I got 35k out of my F1's.
In my opinion they are great tyres.

These tyres were fitted 8 months ago. So wouldn't say they were that old.
I do 30K a year so replace tyres most years due to wear.

I've had these tyres on my Golf and BMW without any problems. Its all start since running these on the Audi.

Audi told me NOT to fit these tyres on the car because of the multi link rear.

The tyre company have the tyres and running tests on them.

The car was only used with me sat in it and driven up and down the M4 without any load. The tyre pressure was always checked and running about 34-36psi

You normally only see this with either cheap tyres or under-inflated tyres. You may have only bought them 8 months ago but they could've been manufactured a long time ago and will deteriate.

I ran these on my Supra as have many of the guys with some serious power going through them (600BHP+ figures). And the Supra was a heavy car...

I ran these on my Supra as have many of the guys with some serious power going through them (600BHP+ figures). And the Supra was a heavy car...

As did I on mine (412bhp) and the Supra is 1580kg (UK Spec)

Hi all

I've had nothing but problems with GoodYear F1s on my 2006 TDI S-line. The rears went like a 50 pence pieces because their not suitable for rear multi link. This made the car sound like a washing on spin going down the motorway. Audi told me not to find them to the A4.

Then I replaced my brake discs today and took both front tyres off and found them like this ( see pictures below ). I have returned the tyres to the supplier and they are taking this up with GoodYear for me. The cracks are down to the wires of walls and all over the tyres inside and outside walls.

Funny thing is, Audi MOTed by car 2.5 weeks ago. The tyre company think the tyre is faulty and have seen this before on very cheap tyres. They think the tyre couldn't take the weight on the car.

Must say driving down the motorway each day on tyres like this makes me feel sick..but glad their off now.

3373029621_3d0802516f.jpg

3373849326_4284685606.jpg

I'm glad you have brought this up as I had this on a goodyear & I sent it back to them & *** you wouldnt beleive the **** I went through & eventually got **** all out of it, I was just in shock they said they couldnt fault the tyre even though had a nice huge long split in it, was on my S4 B6 & exactly the same problem you are experiencing in the images shown, it just blew for no reason at all, same exact place as yours & no road debri, tyre cuts etc nothing to cause it, now I might go back to them with your help & see if they will do anything about it, it was a year ago but still I was absolutely steaming with goodyear, ******* useless company really are, of all the tyres ever had & this was the 1st premium set for a while I used, these were the only ones that gave me problems, all the economy ones you can get which tbh are very good IMHO have never given me one single problem, ever, only the £150 tyre did, just goes to show huh, be interested to get some info from you on your case with goodyear mate, really would, I just cant see how they can say we cant fault it but also have no explanation of why it went, so it surely must have been faulty to go for no reason.

when i was at wheel base the syht tires they offer with the wheel package.... well this asain guy had his bmw there he wanted to swap the alloys when they took the tires off his were like that absolutely wrecked like pictured at the bottom but all the way round each tire..... i said jesus imagine that on the motorway glad i didnt get them i paid an extra 100 quid and got a set of falcons im gona check with a torch

Does anyone know the right tyre pressure for these in 235/40/18's? I thought it was 32psi all round, but I'm know hearing it may well be 36psi and I don't wan the sidewalls tearing.

Does anyone know the right tyre pressure for these in 235/40/18's? I thought it was 32psi all round, but I'm know hearing it may well be 36psi and I don't wan the sidewalls tearing.

Have a look at the sticker in the drivers door area and it will tell you. From memory I believe for 2 up, its 35psi.

Check the petrol flap as thats the usual place for the sticker with wheel/tyre size/pressures, also I've been told every wheel size up from the sticker add 2 PSI, but just consult your wheel/tyre dealer.

Cheerrs guys, I better add some air today then.

LOL mate. the pressure in the air is the same no mater the size of the tyre..... think about it pressure not volume..

Sid

What you on about? :think:

The sticker in the door pillar only gives pressures for the standard wheel sizes, if you are running non standard wheels and tyres then those pressures won't be listed on the sticker will they.

So are you saying a 205/55 x 16 tyre will be running the same pressure as a 235/40 x 18 tyre? I can't see that.

So are you saying a 205/55 x 16 tyre will be running the same pressure as a 235/40 x 18 tyre? I can't see that.
Several RS4 owners are running 275/30 tyres instead of the OE size of 255/35, and we've found that you need to run them at a slightly higher pressure than the OE 255/35 size.

So the pressure is NOT independent of size - as the sticker itself confirms because it gives different pressures for each different size of OE tyre...

i always run wider lower profile tyres a bit on the high side rather than low.i usualy go 38 front and 36 back.

I've had a letter from goodyear but they didn't admit to the tyre beening faulty.

But they offered me money back. I had to hand the letter into the tyre dealer to get my money.

But I did phone goodyear and ask about the letter. I told them if their offering me money they are basically admitting there is a fault with the tyres. They didn't say anything about it beening my fault in the letter but just said they were sorry to hear I had a problem with their product.

I really tired hard to push the bloke into admitting it, but no joy. He knew not to say anything.

So I ended up with some money back and thats it.

So maybe next time someone will die before something is done. It's sad, very sad and makes me sick to think that tyre companys don't take this serious.

I've had a letter from goodyear but they didn't admit to the tyre beening faulty.

But they offered me money back. I had to hand the letter into the tyre dealer to get my money.

But I did phone goodyear and ask about the letter. I told them if their offering me money they are basically admitting there is a fault with the tyres. They didn't say anything about it beening my fault in the letter but just said they were sorry to hear I had a problem with their product.

I really tired hard to push the bloke into admitting it, but no joy. He knew not to say anything.

So I ended up with some money back and thats it.

So maybe next time someone will die before something is done. It's sad, very sad and makes me sick to think that tyre companys don't take this serious.

we had a problem the same on a set of bridgestones, they cracked all along the first grove in the tyre both inside edge and outside edge on all 4 tyres! and this was after only 8k miles! on a light honda civic!!

set them back to bridgestone and they sent us a apologetic letter and a cheque for £250 but it even said in the letter that by sending the money they in no way admit a fault with the tyres.

- it might be worth sending a letter and the photos to VCA who are the UK type approval authority...now I see from the pics that they are later goodyears as they have a E13 apprval which isnt the uk (we are E11 in the UK, E13 is Luxemberg) but they will still be interested. also do you still have the tyres? or were they sent back? as you could do with the DOT codes etc from them)