Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 and Pirelli P-Zero versions

Wibbly

Reaction score
Looking to get these 225/40/R18 92W for an A3 1.4 s-line. I'm after low noise and good rim protection.

If I go to Blackcircles, for example, I see various versions of these tyres at different prices. Despite the fact all the Goodyear assy 1's are all run-flat these days (which I don't feel I need), does it matter which version I get for my A3? I'm not sure what the real difference is between them other than some manufacturer affiliation ...

https://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search?width=225&profile=40&rim=18&speed=W

Upload 2018 7 31 15 35 17

Upload 2018 7 31 15 35 45

P-Zero's seem to have two fuel efficiency ratings too for the same 'model' of tyre.

Upload 2018 7 31 15 42 56

Upload 2018 7 31 15 43 21

What's the advise here, and anyone know where the Assy 1's without runflat may be available?

I would not touch a run flat under any circumstances...tend to be noisier and a harsher ride. Pirelli P Zero will offer good rim protection and I would go with the AO Audi factory installed version...quiet, good handling and a nice ride.

Reactions: NevMan and Ron240
I would not touch a run flat under any circumstances...tend to be noisier and a harsher ride. Pirelli P Zero will offer good rim protection and I would go with the AO Audi factory installed version...quiet, good handling and a nice ride.

What is all this AO fitment ********. Seems like just another money maker for Audi? I decided to go with mps4 when I got new boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it is not BS... most vehicle manufacturers probably have OEM specs. for a tyre maufacturer, when you buy a replacement AO or MOE tyre etc. it is the tyre manufacturer/dealer who gets the cash. The OEM specs might be based on comfort over performance as an OEM spec or performance for a Ferrari spec.

AO isn't BS , it's favourable criteria for the manufacturer to fulfill thus produce a more refined tyre .

Those Asy 2s say they are run flat. Surely these Asy 3s would be more suitable for your car.
Upload 2018 8 1 19 58 45

Some posters here say the level of rim protection on the 3's is much less. I guess it depends on the rims so difficult to be sure before buying them. :-(
I have OEM rims...

As a kind of kind here’s the rim protection on the Mrs C-Max with Asy 3’s vs mine with Conti Sport 5’s. There’s not much in it all looking in person, not the easiest thing to photograph!

Asy 3’s
qEQ2dH5.jpg

Conti’s
KyRTQ5Z.jpg

And the Conti's look not to have saved the spoke from damage in the bottom pic(unless that was done previously) :-(

And the Conti's look not to have saved the spoke from damage in the bottom pic(unless that was done previously) :-(

Ah, that’s a stone chip on the inside of the spoke that’s let water in :pensive:

Looks to me form the pics that the ASY 3's give more rim protection than the Conti's

As a kind of kind here’s the rim protection on the Mrs C-Max with Asy 3’s vs mine with Conti Sport 5’s. There’s not much in it all looking in person, not the easiest thing to photograph!

Asy 3’s
qEQ2dH5.jpg

Conti’s
KyRTQ5Z.jpg
Out of interest, which of the two tyres do you prefer?

Out of interest, which of the two tyres do you prefer?

Had Asy 2’s on my R32 and was impressed with them. Not a fair comparison between the C-Max and S3 really so a job to say.

Capture

Anyone got the AO version of the P Zeros and can take a pic to show the rim protection?

I’m not that impressed with the p zero myself, noisy and needs heat to grip well, but I think the rim protection is pretty good.
Not got my car with me but took a pic when I had leaking screenwash which would give you some idea.
The best rim protection you can get is not let the Mrs drive the car :whistle2:
Upload 2018 9 4 14 1 36

Reactions: Paul finch and Kondax
P Zeros on the Mrs' JCW. Looks to be good rim protection, but would not want her to TEST it :whistle2::

Jcw alloy

Reactions: AlS3BE
I’m not that impressed with the p zero myself, noisy and needs heat to grip well, but I think the rim protection is pretty good.

Interesting - their noise rating is among the best (67dB), but I guess it depends of the type of noise as to if it's intrusive. My #1 requirement is good rim protection, then lower noise. To my surprise the the tyres that were already on my car (Goodyear Efficient Grip) also have a good noise rating (69dB) and I consider them a bit noisy :-S I shouldn't have low profile tyres I guess...

The Assy 3's are well rated here, less expensive, and will save all of 1dB in terms of noise rating compared with the P Zeros (67 vs 68dB), but have somewhat inferior rim protection... Choices, choices... :-(

Last edited:
That’s external drive by noise and doesn’t really say if it’s a high pitch or low noise.
Complete different inside the car. All it takes is something to resonate and it will annoy the crap out of me.

can't say the p zeros on wife's jcw are particularly noisy, but the sports exhaust is...lol
Only thing I would question getting p zeros (and will find out at some point) is their longevity as have always heard they aren't the best on that front.
Had Assy 3's on A6, but they were brand new when I sold car, so only had for few weeks

Wear rate is meant to be good on the pzero.
My neighbour in his A6 BE had them with 20in alloys and he got 23k out a set. Not bad for the big barge, I got half that with Michelin’s PS3.
He does mainly motorway though.

Reactions: NevMan
That’s external drive by noise and doesn’t really say if it’s a high pitch or low noise.
Complete different inside the car. All it takes is something to resonate and it will annoy the **** out of me.

Ok, so what are considered quiet tyres inside the car of the types that have 1/2 decent rim protection?

I found the good year asy 2 was the best for both comfort, noise and most of all grip in all conditions.
Heard good and bad things about the asy 3 but not tried them.

Wear rate is meant to be good on the pzero.
My neighbour in his A6 BE had them with 20in alloys and he got 23k out a set. Not bad for the big barge, I got half that with Michelin’s PS3.
He does mainly motorway though.
good to hear, but then JCW is 230 odd BHP FWD only :wtf:

good to hear, but then JCW is 230 odd BHP FWD only :wtf:

Didn’t realise they were 230bhp now.
I wouldn’t worry about the tyre wear. More the kerb damage when it happens. There is no rim protection that’s woman-proof:welcoming:
Saying that my Mrs has only ever kerbed 1 of my alloys in 8 years but I taught her how to drive:thumbs up:

Reactions: NevMan
223 to be exact. yes, now a 2.0 twin scroll engine

Reactions: AlS3BE
So I now have the above from Camskill and will be having them fitted next week after wheel refirb by Alloy Weldcraft in High Wycombe (fully painted to cover original diamond cut). Will post a picture after.

18" RIM after refirb and P-Zero 225/40/R18 AO tyres showing rim protection...

6-q9csPk0EYKYm_ZGxkXw2FcJFWBFugSUBqXQxll3WrvGuGgedL5iRkCTOqHn_nwKzd2BgFPiVF29wKEweNA4qPD9tPaJFxDRQh_TWegQQ2pbWGzBMcPcflFGR2nUxReeGtzhpwnwHdVpo7Ok2rAUp4xmxiqGx9jowXNHVnmIkuTK6QFa49vI0H3rAzYefKYKbFbxpJSTqAAh09gXZJOYWXLctWAH15unVd40PAnXZdymVn1bc4Redtlc1D8GLJk3lzpvqVSYosLwlHfma_WjrCO69-iTesB4EBJfbgKYFe7gCepUFqRsYhHvJc37taszsz-t8Kag2gNOi2B5JUg4Cp1DiSUGY4X2nwU-WiyMUuSrxJZl4aarMWWpwtnDGumKLxO1WSftd7wvVKsydjsKLmsqcDqa1cQgEWRNiKUcmE_C_wo-cczUexrgOelrcwVFuxPwVoH1z_HVs5r2lIooqrnxUjTNZzabOnLkrS5WKYxm6S1DhreUHH5d8eAZtaMG_KRA0Gobk68g3048jqaMjITV7_J83eTZaF5QOY2ZjC53NN1Z-GQKILNhhfck8d2ntIayWkfAa8k8VSqpUz9R5XOjjaW79UM_ZS5fZ65Ophqt6lJfACZ0pXPOFqSW9RxbXrsRgZYVehCnONF6kQJT4Jp8CUOVuMChUIJ5UJPsq2w=w633-h843-no

Last edited:
So final conclusion is I like the P-Zeros. Only downside so far seems to be their E fuel efficiency rating which I think has reduced my average MPG up to 10% from what it was. Difficult to tell for sure of course...

Hiya,

I didn't want to create a new thread for the sake of this short question but does anyone run something like the Mich Cross climate+ in the winter (and summer maybe)? It can get quite bad where I live and I'm also off up to the Highlands over Christmas having a mooch all over, Applecross, Plockton, Gairloch and then over to Fort Augustus and Drumnadrochit, weather might be sound but better safe than sorry I'm thinking?

Hiya,

I didn't want to create a new thread for the sake of this short question but does anyone run something like the Mich Cross climate+ in the winter (and summer maybe)? It can get quite bad where I live and I'm also off up to the Highlands over Christmas having a mooch all over, Applecross, Plockton, Gairloch and then over to Fort Augustus and Drumnadrochit, weather might be sound but better safe than sorry I'm thinking?

Seriously! Search function!

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/tyre-change-michelin-crossclimate.267080/

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/michelin-crossclimate.290431/

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/winter-wheels-and-tyres.378119/#post-3306698

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/all-season-or-winter.379515/#post-3324142

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/tyres.379362/#post-3323353

Crikey, prickly so and so, its Friday man! Relax.

Thank you

Reactions: Phutters
Crikey, prickly so and so, its Friday man! Relax.

Thank you

Come on mate! Your question has been asked many times over. Its up there with the most common of questions....Everyone tries to help when we can but sometimes a simple search is all thats needed...

Anyway, I don't live that far up north, but I would say your best off with winter tyres. I had Pirelli All Season tyres last year on my A3 and they were so good. We had massive amounts of snow and they got me out safely. I would still be using them but I sold the car. Im in Switzerland so we get more snow than you guys and the all season worked great. Having said this, I do feel that 6 month change in tires is the best way to go. The all season tires were good but I think they are only the minimum you need if its super snowy. With my winter tires and Quattro system I should be unstoppable this winter! I only did All Season as I knew I was going to sell after a few months and I wouldn't have been able to drive if I had summer tires on.

Last edited:
Come on mate! Your question has been asked many times over. Its up there with the most common of questions....Everyone tries to help when we can but sometimes a simple search is all thats needed...

Anyway, I don't live that far up north, but I would say your best off with winter tyres. I had Pirelli All Season tyres last year on my A3 and they were so good. We had massive amounts of snow and they got me out safely. I would still be using them but I sold the car. Im in Switzerland so we get more snow than you guys and the all season worked great. Having said this, I do feel that 6 month change in tires is the best way to go. The all season tires were good but I think they are only the minimum you need if its super snowy. With my winter tires and Quattro system I should be unstoppable this winter! I only did All Season as I knew I was going to sell after a few months and I wouldn't have been able to drive if I had summer tires on.

Yeah I understand, all I was after was a "yeah they're pretty good (or bad), wouldn't run them in the summer months like, but if you feel you need some, then they'll see you through most situations the UK can throw at you" kind of answer, you know, whilst we're on the subject of tyres....just wanted to get involved. In future I'll search before I post, unless its a completely unique, never been mentioned before topic that is.....but then I'll only know that after doing a search....oh the difficulties of public forums!

Reactions: Ormesome
Yeah I understand, all I was after was a "yeah they're pretty good (or bad), wouldn't run them in the summer months like, but if you feel you need some, then they'll see you through most situations the UK can throw at you" kind of answer, you know, whilst we're on the subject of tyres....just wanted to get involved. In future I'll search before I post, unless its a completely unique, never been mentioned before topic that is.....but then I'll only know that after doing a search....oh the difficulties of public forums!

Haha! no probs mate! sorry if I was touchy! Im a teacher..... students are idiots! Prob took it out on you!! :laughing:

Those Michelin Cross climates will work for @JonW but may be really noisy for all year use. There are always trade offs in any tyre i.e. summer, winter, all season and all weather for different weather/road conditions. Family who live near to Inverness all have winter tyres on their cars and for the Applecross, Plocton and Gairloch areas. I would not recommend driving on summer tyres, as you may get caught out with the weather on the single track roads in those areas but again you may be lucky with the weather. Lovely part of the world apart from Drumnadochit. :chuncky:
Here is a pic of Plocton I took last year in May.

-VDOK_N3lRHqDPSQSaJLg3-Din8zmmNemCz2fM9W8Q97DrDMfrRBugTTXr1VjhJxpvMs0PKuYMYiQMG7rSbmIb8DSYEm9I0cSWz8PUzQJpKFD7H6HNmE22aKchfSEhmP3pnKxVdfo8bRa0xqqDHQwMU4wl4t5ImJgq9xVe3UlqUGM1dAj_0KNflN5kdNQI9UCEuKWGRlUac5Hzptvvm9HXpUHnBVf9-_fPoiH8i9bXnY7DQ16XoJfL0Hh44JR9v4t7vHAcrBf3PsOcJ3tsIHrLd1XbSxS4oC9vVixVuRMmkLhSiy42sOWN0xW7zcJQyNz-vag3YzahcwjEIJ_udJlInc-HIXuU_FwsXfPYUvDgcpX405iehM-wOx2iuqEdyxTlF-7uwnIlJdmJQxTES5TJyvRfHROOnKg2g4NkDcDzH2IfPEzU6fWnPWlvYujuh72Cmkp5p3JXTzoEZjrgHkO66S0_DofcJniLVrZpIYKysz_WiSYc4HBspn3ilsll-vKHf02cyjM7Y3rI9T_YgxOEkJnCXqk8IbNGMzbKOoflf5ji-DIsNBggx7-ZWPHbZmL04GcOYjTup7GomJPz2eq2hjYbx3u5b8uwMs3aWRYCSL9Vj54_CVcB9kTiePGZoPQk9yWrJolzpKOSQ8aee5LLYC=w1268-h939-no

Reactions: Ormesome
I’ve been on Goodyear ASY 3’s and really rate them. Quality tyre under the £100 mark.

View attachment 164565
Anyone got the AO version of the P Zeros and can take a pic to show the rim protection?

AO (According to Audi website)

Specially created for each Audi model and manufactured using the latest materials and testing criteria, Audi Genuine tyres ensure both wheel rim and tyre are coordinated to meet our exacting requirements.

To achieve the ‘AO’ marking for every model Audi Genuine tyres have to undergo around 50 performance criteria tests.

This is considerably more stringent than statutory tyre regulations.

Audi Genuine tyres are at the forefront when it comes to safety, comfort and driving on any road surface.