Goodbye Audi - hello VW Tiguan R-line!

Klickflip

Quattro 4 life
Reaction score
Well that me off, said goodbye to my A4 Avant Q 2.0TFSI s-tronic and traded it in for a lovely VW tiguan R-line 4 motion DSG 2.0 tdi
Getting older gone a bit sensible !
thought I’d do a wee recap and compare for anyone interested .

A huge thanks to everyone here for , help , knowledge, banter and sharing great car photos throughout the years .. I may be back at sometime !

The b8 A4 was my second A4 2.0tfsi quattro . First one a b7 and manual , that’s 2 A4 Qs over the last 8 years and an A3 before that!

Actually the B7 was mainly trouble free , some more expensive MOTs / wear and tear , new exhaust around the 11 year mark . Did that then gave to my brother . It’s still running well with minimal expense . Tyres and brakes .
But the b8 was expensive from day off , it was higher mileage than the b7 though. And the last year has seen me lump £1500 into it , wheel bearings , brakes , tyres cv joints , suspension springs , just kept going every 6 months. Even ones I replaced a couple of years ago on it are going again . Maybe it’s the crap Scottish roads and edinburgh city potholes .
Then another wheel bearing and spring now needing done soon , so I decided to trade it in.
Plus I think the S-tronic had had a hard life before me. So that was always on my mind with nearly 110,000 on the clock and the timing chain & tensioner needing done very soon too.

Got a decent trade in value for it , so shows a good spec Audi holds it value even at trade levels.
The VW is very nice , but obviously not anywhere near as a drivers machine as the A4 . To my surprise the 150ps tdi goes well enough in real world driving , actually more instant useable power compared to to the TFSI turbo lag. Steering is pretty vague on the Tiguan compared to A4 , but I expected that.
It just feels like a bigger top heavy golf with lighter steering.
And after trying a Skoda octavia VRS , the MQB platform just doesn’t have the directness, stiffness & flatness of the A4 MLB platform. (though my mate has just got a golf R which he’s promised me a shot of to compare!)

Tiguan has virtual cockpit which is really nice , and lane assist , adaptive cruise which is good but bit strange, Car-play and good amount of tech settings to play with on console .
The r-line seats are pretty basic compared to S-line tbh, cant quite get as comfy but maybe that is due to sitting more upright . The A4 was like a go cart with a hugging armchair position.
But the main thing is seeing 45mpg + on the dash without even trying to drive economically!
Compared to having petrol 2.0T where I got a long term average of 25mpg at best.
Same commute, part country, city jams , bypass I used to get 18mpg on a busy day , now get 44mpg in VW in same busy traffic .
and the DSG coasting function is really cool.

DDFB35FF 0BCE 4CF0 AA52 86682AE62C04
B1784E7D 6A8B 4FAD B64B 022A88025FDC

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound, EXSpartan36, 45bvtc and 8 others
Hey nice new car!

What did it set you back? I need to get a grown up car now to accommodate an expanding family.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Klickflip
Hey nice new car!

What did it set you back? I need to get a grown up car now to accommodate an expanding family.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Thanks!
do a search on VW used website , as many options / age , and cash or pcp options and you can see what is local.
You can get an approved 3 year old SE for 18k up to 26k for a R-line 4 motion

Reactions: CrazeUK
Enjoy the new car. Russboy (not sure if he's still active here) did the same thing - Tiguan R-Line. He'd battled with a leaking panoramic roof on a S4 before selling.

Well that me off, said goodbye to my A4 Avant Q 2.0TFSI s-tronic and traded it in for a lovely VW tiguan R-line 4 motion DSG 2.0 tdi
Getting older gone a bit sensible !
thought I’d do a wee recap and compare for anyone interested .

A huge thanks to everyone here for , help , knowledge, banter and sharing great car photos throughout the years .. I may be back at sometime !

The b8 A4 was my second A4 2.0tfsi quattro . First one a b7 and manual , that’s 2 A4 Qs over the last 8 years and an A3 before that!

Actually the B7 was mainly trouble free , some more expensive MOTs / wear and tear , new exhaust around the 11 year mark . Did that then gave to my brother . It’s still running well with minimal expense . Tyres and brakes .
But the b8 was expensive from day off , it was higher mileage than the b7 though. And the last year has seen me lump £1500 into it , wheel bearings , brakes , tyres cv joints , suspension springs , just kept going every 6 months. Even ones I replaced a couple of years ago on it are going again . Maybe it’s the **** Scottish roads and edinburgh city potholes .
Then another wheel bearing and spring now needing done soon , so I decided to trade it in.
Plus I think the S-tronic had had a hard life before me. So that was always on my mind with nearly 110,000 on the clock and the timing chain & tensioner needing done very soon too.

Got a decent trade in value for it , so shows a good spec Audi holds it value even at trade levels.
The VW is very nice , but obviously not anywhere near as a drivers machine as the A4 . To my surprise the 150ps tdi goes well enough in real world driving , actually more instant useable power compared to to the TFSI turbo lag. Steering is pretty vague on the Tiguan compared to A4 , but I expected that.
It just feels like a bigger top heavy golf with lighter steering.
And after trying a Skoda octavia VRS , the MQB platform just doesn’t have the directness, stiffness & flatness of the A4 MLB platform. (though my mate has just got a golf R which he’s promised me a shot of to compare!)

Tiguan has virtual cockpit which is really nice , and lane assist , adaptive cruise which is good but bit strange, Car-play and good amount of tech settings to play with on console .
The r-line seats are pretty basic compared to S-line tbh, cant quite get as comfy but maybe that is due to sitting more upright . The A4 was like a go cart with a hugging armchair position.
But the main thing is seeing 45mpg + on the dash without even trying to drive economically!
Compared to having petrol 2.0T where I got a long term average of 25mpg at best.
Same commute, part country, city jams , bypass I used to get 18mpg on a busy day , now get 44mpg in VW in same busy traffic .
and the DSG coasting function is really cool.

View attachment 237556
View attachment 237557

Did a similar thing, 18plate rline with all the bells and whistles, only problem I’ve had is the car play/iPhone drained battery after 20 minutes !! and the bottom edge of the info system was very hot Haven’t tried to use CarPlay since need to get it to the stealers asap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice choice. I recently did some desk research on a variety of VAG group SUVs (the Tiguan R, Audi SQ2 and Cupra Formentor VZ3) when I was contemplating changing from the S4. I was put off the Tiguan by the emissions figure putting it into a higher VED group than the others. The Cupra looked a much better prospect on paper than any of the others, but before I got as far as visiting a dealer for some proper field research, I decided I didn't want to change the S4. Instead, I added a wireless phone charger for £80. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan_Avant, 45bvtc and Klickflip
Did a similar thing, 18plate rline with all the bells and whistles, only problem I’ve had is the car play/iPhone drained battery after 20 minutes !! and the bottom edge of the info system was very hot Haven’t tried to use CarPlay since need to get it to the stealers asap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nice , yeah they got the r-line styling right , and enough toys tech to sway Audi drivers
that sounds strange , usb check cables, USB port and the canbus power and PSU board in the infotainment.
Something is draining more power that it should be , could be a connector pin is bent and in wrong port , or be a burst diode or capacitor on circuit board inside . Especially if there’s a hot area .

nice , yeah they got the r-line styling right , and enough toys tech to sway Audi drivers
that sounds strange , usb check cables, USB port and the canbus power and PSU board in the infotainment.
Something is draining more power that it should be , could be a connector pin is bent and in wrong port , or be a burst diode or capacitor on circuit board inside . Especially if there’s a hot area .

Yes it got so hot that the iPhone went into auto shut down ( phone was too hot)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice choice. I recently did some desk research on a variety of VAG group SUVs (the Tiguan R, Audi SQ2 and Cupra Formentor VZ3) when I was contemplating changing from the S4. I was put off the Tiguan by the emissions figure putting it into a higher VED group than the others. The Cupra looked a much better prospect on paper than any of the others, but before I got as far as visiting a dealer for some proper field research, I decided I didn't want to change the S4. Instead, I added a wireless phone charger for £80. :cool:
Emissions concern - S4 ha! I did seriously consider a S4 , just get a ‘proper car’ before everything goes electric . But yeah the ULEZ kicks in next year in every Scottish city so had to consider that. And marvelling at 40+mpg rather than 18-25 , god knows what I would have got in a S4 !

Emissions concern - S4 ha! I did seriously consider a S4 , just get a ‘proper car’ before everything goes electric . But yeah the ULEZ kicks in next year in every Scottish city so had to consider that. And marvelling at 40+mpg rather than 18-25 , god knows what I would have got in a S4 !
The VED on the Tiguan R is about triple what I pay on the S4.