Gonzo's S3

One thing I did to diagnose coil pack versus sparks versus cylinder was to unplug coil pack 1 at a time, if idle gets worse it's fine, if it stays the same it's the culprit. Then swap a coil between good and bad and see if it moves, if it doesn't them swap sparks, if that doesn't move it then it's related to that cylinder beyond spark and coil.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SamHendry
Took the s3 out for a good drive today. All seems well again!!! Pulls hard and not juddering or lumpy idle anymore.

Looks like the fuel pressure regulator that was blocked up was the issue.

The brake pad sensor light came on but this must mean the connector block I used has come off as the ferrodo pads don't have the cable.

Oil change in a couple of weeks then off to r-tech after Christmas to adjust the map and squeeze as much as possible out of the little k04.

Not much has been happening in the last 3 months, I've just been enjoying the car at the weekends. Drove 2 hours to Norwich last week with a friend who picked up this nice Octavia vRS estate and the s3 didn't skip a beat and getting a reasonable 35mpg.

I did buy an a4 b5 climate control unit to swap over my worn buttons but for some reason the very left / right buttons didn't feel very nice so just swapped the middle ones which were the worst anyway.

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/6D60DB43-5D80-4FB4-974E-B92F09F34F1A.jpg.html][/URL]

I've never got round to replacing the coil packs either when I replaced the loom so bought the tfsi ones and new bkr7eix plugs. Realised the plugs in the car were bkr6 so definitely needed changing to the cooler ones. It's also due an oil change so going to do that when the whether isn't so British.

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/11AE93CA-418C-4E74-BF20-297404AEC1CD.jpg.html][/URL]

Wet wet wet

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/BC4ADF67-07A0-4167-B135-B54AF8C7F6C9.jpg.html][/URL]

Reactions: Alex C, IPG and superkarl
In between the rain I swapped over the plugs and coilpack. The spacers don't fit very well but didn't have a dremmel or time to adjust them so they stayed how they are for now. Went for a spirited drive and feels good.

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/67D12C4B-96BB-46D0-8EC4-97F1AFA00AA1.jpg.html][/URL]

There is however a whine coming from the dw fuel pump at WOT. Not sure if that's normal or it's struggling for some reason. It's been there for a while now and after seeing the state of the FPR being blocked up I was wondering if the fuel filter is blocked. The pump is not very old so can't imagine it failing. I will change the filter when the weather is better.

interested to know how much you've spent on the car in total now?

You can't go requesting classified information like that. We all spend considerable effort not to think about those sorts of things you know!

Reactions: hydro s3, Erikn89nl, <tuffty/> and 2 others
Its a valuable question - people need to be warned that Audi S3's cost 10K for the first few years of ownership #MoneyPit
Although I did enjoy driving up to 70MPH in mine earlier I overtook a Skoda Turbo Diesel on the motorway.

They cost a fortune that's all you need to know it's like asking a stranger how much he earns

They cost a fortune that's all you need to know it's like asking a stranger how much he earns

I know there expensive to keep but what decent car isn't. Lots of people go out and buy 20k+ 30k+ cars through finance and they must spend 500+ a month when you take everything into account. We can buy our old cars outright and just spend on running cost and maintenance.

Reactions: hydro s3

a "fortune" is relative - people need to know real figures (not exact), a fortune to you is different to me.

so lets say a 3-4K 2001 s3 8L will maybe cost 8K to get good as standard - or 10 - 20K to be a good project.

or if you are like me you just drive it fast enough so people cannot see the rust :) I wont spend anymore on it (and never spent the money it deserved) - when it breaks next time - it is broken forever.

I don't agree with the post about any decent car costs a lot to run! "decent" is another relative term your "decent" might be 500 BHP with polished alloys and mine is a working radio and an ashtray.
Although, I bought an '03 Kia Sedona in 2004 as we have 4 kids, I used it 5 times with all 4 kids in for holidays and lost 10K in depreciation after a couple of years, so that was £500 a month to never use a vehicle. (I should have just bought an old Ford Galaxy for those odd occasions as I needed to buy another car at the same time for short journey's and daily work back and forth as 3.0 Diesel Turbo was only 25 MPG)

I always ask strangers how much they earn, as they sit outside the train station with a Jack Russell and a "I'm Homeless Please Only Donate Notes" playing on their IPhone 7 and Smoke B&H.

I know there expensive to keep but what decent car isn't. Lots of people go out and buy 20k+ 30k+ cars through finance and they must spend 500+ a month when you take everything into account. We can buy our old cars outright and just spend on running cost and maintenance.

That they are but I still wouldn't sell mine I'd rather spend the money on the 8l instead of buying an 8p. Some people like everyone to know how much they spend on stuff but most people like to keep to themselves what they spend and how much they have to spend. Read anyone's build threads on here like tuffty', prawns, Stacey, Ianpg we all like to share what we do to are pride n joy but don't throw the cost around it's just something you keep to yourself. They might mention the price on bargain brakes or own parts but 9/10 if you were to ask someone on here that you would get the answer of to much rather than a figure

Reactions: SamHendry

What an odd comparison. The OP started a thread specifically about doing up his car and he's clearly put a lot of time and money into it. If he doesn't want to divulge how much it's all cost then that's his prerogative. I'm not sure why some of you are getting your panties in a twist about it.

No panties in a twist just something I wouldn't ask. And it's not really a strange comparison. Do you know gonzo(if not he's a stranger) and your asking how much he spent on car ( or how much he can afford to spend on his car). Your right that is his prerogative he might well answer I don't know, but if he wanted people to know the thread would also be full with prices for every mod/upgrade just saying it's not something I would ask

No panties in a twist just something I wouldn't ask. And it's not really a strange comparison. Do you know gonzo(if not he's a stranger) and your asking how much he spent on car ( or how much he can afford to spend on his car). Your right that is his prerogative he might well answer I don't know, but if he wanted people to know the thread would also be full with prices for every mod/upgrade just saying it's not something I would ask
Asking someone how much they can afford to spend on a car is a different question, and one which I didn't ask. Also you seem to be confusing "your" with "you're".

No YOU'RE being petty because YOUR panties are in a twist haha

Also gonzo sorry for filling your thread with sh** maybe a mod can clean up the last few post so it remains about your car and not what people think should and shouldn't be asked

Last edited:
This thread has become nonsense now.

It is interesting to know the sort of investment someone has made in their #moneypit but is an impossible thing to gauge as no-one one knows the starting condition, owners standard and final goals. Also what learning curves were included in their journey.

Do you want new tools included in your estimate?

It is the answer to life the universe and everything... I'm sure you can work it out from there :)

I was told never to go 'Hitchhiking' and certainly not in a Ford 'Galaxy'

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Ok so last 2 weeks...
Decat fitted - can't feel any difference but should make a slight difference when the map is tweaked.

A friend of mine sold his s3 last year, however kept his rstt wheels (genuine) so I decided to buy them off him cheap plus he wanted to take out the s3. He says mine feels completely different as in smooth power band, tighter suspension feel and he was loving it. He said straight away about the clutch switch being faulty as it over revs when you're giving it some. I must have been used to it or never noticed it so it's good he drove it as it went on his car too.

Bought 10mm spacers for the front for the new wheels

Bought new discs and pads for the rear and as the sun was shining was going to fit the lot.

Lifted the rear, started to do the brakes. Hard time taking the caliper away from the discs but managed it in the end as the pads were so tight. Removed pads and got some wood and g clamp to retract the caliper... wouldn't move.

Apparently they need to rotate as you wind them in.

I will have to buy the wind back too and try again.

This is how I left it haha sometimes it doesn't work out how you thought

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/B4DCD5E3-04C3-4B23-92BE-B347930A1EE2.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited:
Haha start a job to improve the car and all you've done has rendered it useless, something I'm very familiar with!

I was in a similar situation myself and I used circlip pliers to wind it in but only worked on one. Other side was to stiff and wouldn't budge.

Reactions: superkarl and Rainbird
As we get a bit more light now at night I decided to fit my new heatshield and relocate my catch can to try and tidy it up a bit.

Before

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/EBFDFDB8-86DE-44E9-BA31-E52B3DCD4699.jpg.html][/URL]

Emptied the catch can, seems to be working...

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/76199D9B-1524-461F-BB05-F972C3F7F8FE.jpg.html][/URL]

Fitted new heat shield, bolted the catch can on the side of it and used a variety of 3/4" hose with fittings to fit it and try to make it look ok.

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/864FA649-394F-4CFC-8AA2-EEB5FBD4F084.jpg.html][/URL]

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/8EB486D6-3586-4F6A-B3B5-7EE7B466F0A6.jpg.html][/URL]

Looking good gonzo. Where did you get the hose that fits between charge pipe and intercooler?

Looking good gonzo. Where did you get the hose that fits between charge pipe and intercooler?

Hi, from where i can get that Throttle Body Hose?
Cheers!

Sorry lads for the latte reply. These were just eBay specials that I bought when doing the welly cooler.

It's quite thin compared to the more expensive hoses however my pipes were beaded and with mikalor clamps not once have I had one come off

Met up with my friend who has recently bought an Octavia VRS. Stage 2 running 250hp / 300 lbft. On a straight not much in it but in the corners the S3 is an animal in comparison. Still, his is a nice car and only paid 1k which is an absolute bargain considering the work gone into it and mapped by Niki at rtech.

Replaced the clutch switch too which took a total of 20 mins which was a nice easy job for once!

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/160DF700-6B8B-471E-A913-51DD4204BA0B.jpg.html][/URL]

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/9DAF5300-1B79-4D48-8803-EEEE06119535.jpg.html][/URL]

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/BE72E488-DDC8-411F-AFD2-C354F7FCE532.png.html][/URL]

as I keep getting random misfire logged and slight lumpy idle I removed injectors, coil pack, checked the plugs, fuel lines and all seemed well. I noticed one of the check valves / vacuum valves on the fuel vapour line which goes to the throttle body wasn't shutting properly. These are now on order and should be here in a couple days.

I have a spare valve cover so decided to paint this and get some aluminium spacers as I didn't like the fit net of the push in plastic ones.

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/67EB5CE8-2E31-41C3-B753-E92A9A59A66E.jpg.html][/URL]

I also finally bought the led knterior light pack from trups so fitted these. Happy with the outcome will make the interior a bit more youthful.

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/0F29EB52-3E3E-4A20-A3F1-7C32A9397DBA.jpg.html][/URL]

%5BURL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/kewgre13/media/Audi/E2B56E7C-5D7C-4217-80C1-7F26DF94E433.jpg.html][/URL]

Another thing I tried to do was re-gas the a/c as it's never worked and I now have the fgas qualification. Recovered and vacuumed system all was ok. Filled 140g of 134a and would not fill anymore. The clutch wasn't disengaging from compressor so it wasn't pumping anything around the system... I thought it wouldn't be that easy haha. Oh well that's for another time.

Update:

Things coming along nicely with them s3. Got it logged and found the correction timing very high due to an income of unmetered air. This was traced to the hockey puk valve. Removed and straight away found it to run a lot better. So now will vent to atmosphere after catch can.

Logged some power runs and everything seems to be doing what it should.

Ultrasonically cleaned my injectors and fpr and just waiting on a replacement rubber fuel hose to swap mine out as I believe it's perishing causing the gunk in the fpr a couple months back.

Got my vcds lite to work with the hvac and found pressure switch at fault so a replacement is coming for that. Hopefully my ac will work after 3 years of never fixing it haha.

Did a smoke test and was all clear which is good news.

Next step is to buy either a bbt418t or aet380 (still not sure which one) as I'm not having much luck in finding exactly what's needed for a bt build even after researching it a lot. I will port the hot side of the turbo to match my pro4 as it's held up ok so far. I'll change it if i cracks.

Then wmi and a remap then hopefully that will keep me happy for a while :)

Reactions: hydro s3
What is it you're struggling to find? All hardware?

I would just need babysitting through the whole process with the exact turbo, manifold, wastegates etc. I would need someone to do a shopping list for me as I wouldn't be 100% certain on the parts I'm buying. Therefore I don't feel comfortable going down this road.

Also my engine is ready for a hybrid to be bolted on and with new exhaust valves and wmi, job done :)

Job done..till you want more power haha.

I'd of talked you through parts. Everyone has a different take on what they think would be best suited etc but most the main parts are going to be needed regardless.

Yes I know what you mean and it probably will happen.

But if I can enjoy it as a finished hybrid build for a year or two then decide to move on for something else I'd be ok with that.

Thanks though mate, appreciate it.