Going to upgrade from the factory Bose System to A6 Avant C5

rich dj

2015 A4 Avant 2.0TDI SE Quattro 190 Technik
Reaction score
I already have fitted a Sony CDX-DAB6650i with Dab external aerial connected to the standard Bose amp and speakers and sub via a modified phono leads with 18uF caps in to stop the mute thump , but fed up with the harsh poor sound quality from the nokia tweeters and mediocre tupperware style subwoofer.
Due to usual time and money restraints (still not much better) and with a family nothing further has been done.
I have so far, a KENWOOD KAC-846 4-Channel Power Amplifier (4 x75w RMS) to replace the Bose unit in the rear driving the main 4 speakers and was thinking about putting it under the smaller lift up storage hatch in the middle of the boot cutting out any molded bits to suit amp.
I will also be fitting a Pioneer GM2000 (200w) to drive the the sub or subs this amp will go down to 2 ohm if need be.
Speakers will be 2 pairs Mac Audio custom fit (the old school ones) P1.F and A1.F with separate tweeters and 165mm bass units used in many off my cars so far (Cavalier Calibra 405 and now a proper car)
Just a bit undecided what to do about a sub as my 12 inch Celestion AD12 works well in the home cinema so that will stay there. I also made a smaller sub with 2 American (i forget the make) 8 inch drivers with magnets nearly as large on the back, in an approx 12x12x20 inch box with the first sub working as an enclosed sub and the other on top so it was looking at an infanent baffle, it was kind of an experiment to get more usable boot space so i may use this to start with but looking to hide it either an 8 inch either side with old sub and amp removed and do something with spare wheel well with the tyre still in place and port it.
I am also looking to integrate my itunes library into the car, i tried using the iphone and the A to D converter is very poor so possibly trying to use it as just a remote to control the itunes on a Mac/PC/Linux/apple tv but not sure yet and also funds depending.
Also my son on long journeys likes to watch films (keeps him occupied and quiet with headphones on) so may do a headrest monitor as i picked up a couple cheap and run them via my wife's iphone with video/audio out.
Any suggestions or ideas i would be grateful.
Wiring is not a problem as im an audio engineer, but i keep looking at it and cant decide on the sub issue.
I will try and take photo's as i go in case it helps anyone else.
:photo:

I'd suggest taking it one step at a time.
How are the settings on the headunit? Who has tuned it? Have you done some sound insulation on the spots where the speakers are mounted to? How are the amplifier settings? Look into a simple eq/sound processor to help you control the output. Theres a lot of things you can do before spending HUGE amounts of cash to get it to sound nicer than it does now. Also, where are you located?

I'm in the UK. I have 90 % of the equipment now anyway been buying it second hand gradually just been putting it off due to time constraints.
I have been an audio engineer since 1987 so I do the testing tuning the tweeters on the Bose system are poor Nokia units that give listening fatigue and sound too harsh for me. I will be putting matting in the door panels as i have on my previous cars. I will try the sound direct from the head unit first as the Kenwood amp has front and rear phono inputs and phono line output to sub which has low pass filter and level also the kenwood amp has 2 cross over adjustments on so I can remove the really low bass to the door speakers to stop mid range discoloration and adjust the sub to level I need.
im just a bit stuck on what to do with the sub as boot space is a premium for me so it look like either spare wheel space with wheel still in and port it through the side panels or in both side panels at the rear (avant model) with either an mdf box or fibre glass construction.
If anyone else has done this all help would be appreciated.
I hope to start this week now.

sounds like its a lot of work. keep us updated on your progress man

Ok so I have started the install this morning by replacing the Bose speakers in the front and rear doors.
I used some Mac audio custom fit speakers I have from previous car installs
these are for a Vauxhall Cavalier/Peogeut 405
IMG_1029_3.jpg

and these for an Vauxhall Astra
IMG_1030_3.jpg

I took photo's to help anyone else who is thinking of replacing there speakers.
Firstly unscrew the two visible screws at the top
IMG_1021_3.jpg

IMG_1020_3.jpg

then push a thin screwdriver up the hole under the window switch to unclip the switch
IMG_1019_3.jpg

and lift the switch out
IMG_1018_3.jpg

then lift the door inner up and then unplug the cables no need to mark them as they are all different
then unhook the door release it unclips and then unhook
IMG_1038_3.jpg

then your left with this
IMG_1023_3.jpg

and here is the inner door with the old Bose woofer in
IMG_1028_3.jpg

and here shows the deadening standard fitted in the outer door its some and better than nothing
IMG_1026_3.jpg

The woofers fitted perfectly front and rear and the Mac P4f fitted perfectly to the front tweeter after removing and refitting the metal clip.
The old tweeter wire was cut close to the tweeter and insulated well.
then a new wire was run to the tweeter from the woofer with the high pass filter in line.
All new cable tie wrapped to stop vibrations and wear.
IMG_1034_4.jpg

IMG_1035_4.jpg

i also enlarged the opening to the outer door to give move air movement
IMG_1037_4.jpg

The rear door tweeters were a little small so trusty clear mastic saved the day (also peals of easy when changing back to standard fit)
IMG_1039_3.jpg

and then refit the door panels in the reverse.
I tried the passenger door first to hear the difference between the two speakers and a huge difference in clarity mid range cleaner treble much better more separation between sounds much more detail and cleaner sound. Bass also smooth.
I still have the Bose amp connected at the moment and the Bose sub woofer but hopefully not by next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard Chaise
The pictures didn't seem to come out.
Sorry

i openned them in separate tabs. flickr is meh. i normally use photobucket.

Ok iwill give photo bucket a go and edit the post
Thanks
Looks like it will be tomorrow as i have just seen the time 1.18 am oops

Last edited:
All pictures now uploaded.
Yes photobucket did the trick.
Thanks again to Votblindub.

Youre welcome. Thats what my doors used to look like too :)

I may pick up some DYNAMAT XTREME Extreme CUSTOM ROLL SOUND DEADNING to put in the doors panels later on. But amps and sub fitting next.

i bought a lot of dynamat xtreme. my doors are "armored" lol. i can post pics if u wanna see it.

would be good to see them.

That looks totally dead, i bet your door closing sounds good.
Did you notice a marked improvement?
and how many Square feet of the stuff did you use?
What are the drivers are they twin coil?

That looks totally dead, i bet your door closing sounds good.
Did you notice a marked improvement?
and how many Square feet of the stuff did you use?
What are the drivers are they twin coil?
Yea, its a SUPER solid thud when u knock on the outside of the door. It's nice. I noticed a big improvement even with the OEM speakers in the doors(did that just to try it out). I used two door kits. The drivers are Q series MB Quart speakers, 6.5inches diameter. They come with two sets like that outta the box, but its a single coil driver.

Well the amps did not get done other things happened see relay clicking thread.
Too busy with that.
I will try next week.

Votblindub
the Dynamat i was looking at was advertised as

DYNAMAT XTREME Extreme CUSTOM ROLL SOUND DEADNING 10425
# Kit contains one 18" x 32" pieces of Dynamat Original for general use on rear deck, doors, boot-lid and the base of any car
# Dynamat CUSTOM KIT/ROLL
# Part Number: # 10425

What do you think im not sure its the extreme as it says original.

I used both kinds. I find the XTREME kind to be tackier and longer lasting. It is a bit more in cost, but totally worth it IMO. The XTREME says it on the foil as well as the package, so try to see photos of both to make sure what kind youre getting. You dont really need the roller, but a heatgun or at least a hairdryer is a big help. Sometimes you have to go over random curves and it makes the sheet more flexible, so its easier to apply it. If its pretty warm/hot it sticks well. I ended up using a big sharpie to do edges(i cut myself too much on the foil when i tried it otherwise) and to generally smooth out the piece i applied and it worked out great. If youre wondering how much of it to get, simply measure the outside of your door. This will ensure you have some extra, because its not a flat surface, it has a general curve to it, plus other small things that will need a small patch of material on them and such will require you to get a bit more. Another tip i can offer is to split it straight down the middle as soon as you get it. Even if its a three box order or you have to cut a single sheet into halves. this will ensure youre not applying too much more on the one side than the other. Do one side and try to replicate it as close as you can on the other, or simply do the same thing on both sides at the same time. Try to make them as close to each other as possible so both sides end up sounding close. if you ended up with a gap on one side, leave it on the other, patch it up later if need be. If you are going to do the whole car at once, buy the bulk pack. they come in big sheets or a big roll, it comes out cheaper per sq foot/meter than buying a trunk kit, door kits and stuff. just buy a HUGE wallpaper roll of it and just go to town on the car. if youre doing doors, try cutting two identical peices out, so you have the same amount for both doors. im planning to do my floor, rear doors, roof(when i redo my headliner and pillars in black suede at the same time), trunk lid, trunk floor and rear quater panels and rear deck. its gonna be a tank! :)

Ok amp still on hold, christmas and family stuff.
Will try again over the next couple of weeks.

hi there, just bought an a6 avant t reg 2.45 and i am going to replace the front door speakers. have been reading this post but nothing since christmas.....any more pics or info would be really appreciated

hi there, just bought an a6 avant t reg 2.45 and i am going to replace the front door speakers. have been reading this post but nothing since christmas.....any more pics or info would be really appreciated
Was there something specific you were looking for? I'm planning to relocate my tweeters(in spring) into the sail panels, because im still not content with the current sound. I can post pics of that as that happens.

Just found this old thread.
A lot of things have happened since then, I wont bore you with the details, but I did fit in the Kenwood amp and pioneer amp with the boxed sub 2x8 inch and it sounded amazing played it to several car and audio guys including an installer who was amazed with the sound and how original it looked.
i also fitted the apple tv to the rear of the car with a wifi router so friends and kids could change there music (great for road trips paralytically a trip to Southend to roller-skate with classic tracks) with their apple iphones or ipods etc. and also later on just using my phones personal hotspot.
so 18,000 tracks plus on tap.
I also fitted a small screen from ebay towards the end for track display and a infra red eye in the front to take the remote signals on the apple tv remote.
But I have since sold my A6 2.5 TDi Avant and upgraded to another Audi A6 which I have not really started on yet, but i do have the Dab radio module, aerial and connection leads now so should make a start soon.
I was gutted to have to pull out all my kit out of the old car as I really miss the sound and tunes.