Going to S3 from 3.2?

powerplay

Grrrr
Reaction score
Hi chaps

Its car change year for me, I currently have a 3.2 and I'm getting drawn more and more towards the looks and spec of the TTS :hubbahubba: .

So I'm just wondering, as the engine is basically the same, if anyone with an S3 has previously had a 3.2?

If so what do you think, can you comment on differences, power delivery, driveability etc?

I have a test drive booked for the S3 next week but would really love some honest opinions.

Thanks!

complelty different engines mate. i don't actually care for the 3.2 at all to be honest. Very lethergic delivery, and pretty heavy engine... 2.0T in the S is much more fun, likes to be revved more, pulls better, and cleaner through the revs...better balanced etc etc.... i always used to say when I worked for VW that the GTI was a better balanced, better handling car, than the bigger brother R32...I dont want the later to open up mass debate (excuse the non-deliberate use of words)... It just felt way more balaced and fun...anyhow, horses for courses....You won't be disappointed by the S3!!

Couldn't disagree more...
The 2.0T sounds like it has asthma...you'll miss that v6 sound for sure.
But the S3 is the flagship model so Audi must think it's better!
I wouldn't go from my A3 to an S3 though...i prefer large displacement to small engines with turbos...I remember quite a few journalists speculating the new S3 would have the RS4 V8 before Audi announced the spec...which surprised a few people.
Fuel consumption will be better too...

Well if anyone thought the V8 4.2 would fit the A3 Chasis without it bulging the bonnet must be seriously stupid.

If you take the S3 vs 3.2 on country roads / track /. The S3 will always win.

It depends on what you want out of your car.

When I was looking for a new motor after looking at all the contenders it all came down to a two horse race - new S3 or new 3.2 TT. Now remember, I came from an old S3 so was used to forced induction.

When debating the two engines, as mentioned above, though the 3.2 sounds good (nothing beats a big capacity engine for noise!), the delivery did feel lazy, but it's constant and linear (something which feels wrong to me as i'm used to forced induction), you could also feel, even in the TT the weight up front hanging over the front axle.

The 2.0T in the S3 is a great engine, especially when compared to the old 1.8T in the old S3. Where the old S3 sounded, well, sounded pretty poor to be honest, the new 2.0T is far more throaty especially higher up in the rev range (though more to do with trick valves in the exhaust than anything else I'd imagine!). The engine does have some turbo lag, but singificantly less than the old S3 and has a lot more pull before the turbo spools up. This gives the sence of a more linear power delivery. The other great things about the 2.0T is it's ability to pull all the way to redline meaning you have a big power band where the turbo offers significant torque/power.

On top of that you have the added benefits of saved weight, lower tax band, better consumption (though i'd say only marginally if you have a heavy right foot!) and i'd assume cheaper servicing costs.

Sooo, my guess is, if the noise of a big engine rocks your boat, you'll not like the 2.0T, however, if you're more bothered about the dynamics of the car and running costs the 2.0T should impress.

Enjoy the test drive, and lucky you even considering a TT-S! Very nice!!

davidmann said:
Well if anyone thought the V8 4.2 would fit the A3 Chasis without it bulging the bonnet must be seriously stupid.

If you take the S3 vs 3.2 on country roads / track /. The S3 will always win.

Yes I agree with both of those points!

Well, I have a 3.2 currently and put down a deposit on a TTS this morning after test driving an S3, so I can relate to the original poster...

The S3 pulled harder and cornered more cleanly than the 3.2 does. The TTS is going to be amazing!

Dan
(with a big grin!)

Well, I have a 3.2 currently and put down a deposit on a TTS this morning after test driving an S3,
:respekt:

I've almost made my mind up on spec already trying to convince myself I'd be well happy, what did you go for - colour, wheels, trim etc?

Something I'm struggling to understand... the quoted combined mpg for the TT-S is 35ish - if correct that's amazing as the 3.2 is 26ish and as an average i'm generally a few down on that...

Ice silver, black & silver leather, S-tronic, BOSE, bluetooth, leccy seats, USB, rain/light/mirror sensors, cruise. I like my toys :).

Getting back in the 3.2, it felt heavy and less gutsy than the S3. I am so looking forward to that engine combined with the DSG box and magnetic suspension - it really should be like having two cars in one!

With regards to the MPGs I get about 26 from mine too. I used to have an 8L S3 which was modified to 270BHP-ish and would get 28-32 out of that. Add in the FSI technology and DSG keeping you in an optimum gear, plus the fact the car is lighter I can easily believe you can get over 30 when taking things easy.

Make sure you take your wallet when you go for that test drive!
;-)

Dan

I was on my way to place the order on a 3.2 TT when, just in front of the dealer entry was a demo black S3!! I asked if I could test drive it and the guy said, sure, let's go!! After 30 minutes we came back to the dealership and I ordered my S3!! Simple...

I must say what hell of a car the TTS will be! With powertrain of the S3 and 4WD and the lightness and sportyness of the TT it will be a fantastic car. The S3 won't stand a chance against that one...

Pedro

Well I've decided a spec for a TTS (you know, just in case I go for one:yes:)

Dealer has a white R8 with carbon side blades in the showroom, looks sweet!

So gonna be ibis white, black/red leather (although not ruling out silver!), black carpet/grey headliner, 19s on 255x35, S-tronic, Ipod, Folding mirrors, dimming rvm/rain sens, lumbar support, tpm, cruise.

Anyway, that should do for a year or so until either the tt-rs or rs3 shows up :eyebrows:

Order slots are highly limited, so waiting time could be six months I was told. If you are serious about wanting the TTS I would decide in advance what you need for your car part-ex and whether you are willing to put money down on the day.

Cheers
Dan

Yippee off right now for S3 and current TT test drive. Looking forward to seeing how things compare...

I was going to buy the S3 originally- it is the better driver's car period- butnoise of the 3.2 was superb. The fact that it's slower than the S3 means that I can thrash it and hear that engine even more.

Test drive over - Sunday afternoon seems a good time as not a lot on the roads around here;)

Quite impressed with the S3, for a 2 litre. Pulls continuously once you get it approaching 4krpm and feels more nimble than my 3.2. Doesn't have the get-up-and-go off the line that the 3.2 does, but I never expected it to, and the low down torque of the 3.2 is just not there - again never expected it to be - so no pootling around at 25mph in 6th!

The TT (2 litre) I thought handled pretty well but I don't see why most reviews of it suggest it is "nearly" as quick as the 3.2, when I got back in mine it felt far quicker.

However that said, with the new TT-S being lighter than the S3 and with the S3 engine, it will certainly be interesting. And the TT-S is the dog's danglies (until the RS ;) ).

Therefore, order placed. Now the wait until June/July... :sadlike:

TTS is 1395kg or 1415kg with DSG. To my mind the main advantage over the S3 is that it is something like 60% aluminum, giving it a better weight distribution.

Dan

jamiekip said:

I dont get why the 2.0TFSI is so much lighter than the TT-S (at 1395 or 1415), they are basically the same arn't they?

I wondered about that also, but the S does have magnetic ride as standard, I've no idea what that might add in weight but it's bound to pork it out a bit, but it can't possibly account for all the difference - quattro adds a bit too so maybe the two combined account for the extra pounds?

The 2.0L TT doesn't have Quattro which the TTS is ganna have, 4wd will add a few KG.

p

Well, the dealership has place the order for my TTS. I'm first in line!

Just have to wait about 14 weeks now...

Dan