Going to buy a TT Mk2 - advice and common problems?

AJ91

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Currently owning an Audi A3 2010 S-line but recently my friends have been buying A5's and other more sportier cars and it made me think that I want to switch mine for something more sportier with a bit more power then my current daily drive Audi A3.. I only live once and to be fair why not buy something I want then sit with a boring 1.6 TDI A3 which sure is fuel economic but isnt that much fun to drive at all.. looks good but thats about it.

I'm 24 now and really want to do this before kids and wife come into the picture because then it might be too late.

Will be looking to make the switch in the summer when I have my summer vacation.

How does this car cope with winter conditions? as this will be my only car I need something reliable in the winter as well as I live in Sweden and we get pretty harsh ones over here.. im guessing it will be alright?

Also what specs and year should I be going for? I'll be looking at around 12000p as my budget.

I've never owned a FSI engine from Audi before as I've heard there is a lot of problems but this time I want one as I dont believe I would want a sports car to sounds like a tractor.

Also any other common problems with this car or something specific to look out for before purchase?

Would love to hear your thoughts on how this car is to own all year round with services and stuff!

Hope im making the right decision here :)

Reactions: Gill ZB
I don't know a great deal about technical stuff or reliability etc ....but I'm double your age and got a Mark 2 09 plate TT Quattro 2.0 TDi for the same reason - you only live once!!! I've had him since 31st March and I'm in love :hearteyes:!!! You'll get some good advice on this forum - everyone is really helpful - but I would say - learning from my experience to know exactly what you want and don't let sales talk you into anything warranties etc that you don't need...but if you already own an Audi you must be clued up :relaxed:....go for it! I've only ever owned old boring cars and the TT is seriously exciting to drive! Mine is a diesel - and fast enough for me but I can imagine a petrol would be even faster !!! If conditions are bad in the winter you may be best off with a Quattro ....but yeah ....you only live once so GO FOR IT!!! You can show the kids pics of your awesome TT one day :relaxed: ...good luck - you won't regret it !!

l just bought a Mk2 3.2 with 13500 miles on it. Having sold me 08 S3 for a A45 AMG lm questioning why l did that. l wont be looking past Audis again, unless l win the lottery.

Reactions: sky blue sam and 45bvtc
Purchased a 2010 Audi TT Roadster Sport 2.0 TFSI Quattro 211 PS S-tronic in 2012 (to run alongside our RS3) and it hasn't put a foot wrong and zero issues; STD Audi servicing only. Ok, I run a spare set of rims with winter tyres in winter and the car's faultless.
TZ10 0259 scribble

Buy one

Reactions: RCD6FC
Hello everyone.

Currently owning an Audi A3 2010 S-line but recently my friends have been buying A5's and other more sportier cars and it made me think that I want to switch mine for something more sportier with a bit more power then my current daily drive Audi A3.. I only live once and to be fair why not buy something I want then sit with a boring 1.6 TDI A3 which sure is fuel economic but isnt that much fun to drive at all.. looks good but thats about it.

I'm 24 now and really want to do this before kids and wife come into the picture because then it might be too late.

Will be looking to make the switch in the summer when I have my summer vacation.

How does this car cope with winter conditions? as this will be my only car I need something reliable in the winter as well as I live in Sweden and we get pretty harsh ones over here.. im guessing it will be alright?

Also what specs and year should I be going for? I'll be looking at around 12000p as my budget.

I've never owned a FSI engine from Audi before as I've heard there is a lot of problems but this time I want one as I dont believe I would want a sports car to sounds like a tractor.

Also any other common problems with this car or something specific to look out for before purchase?

Would love to hear your thoughts on how this car is to own all year round with services and stuff!

Hope im making the right decision here :)

AJ:

I don't think you can go too wrong with the Mk II. I've had a 2013 Mk II coupe for two years now as a daily driver. 95 mile round trip to work in all seasons. I live on the other side of the pond (Canada) and drive through all sorts of conditions: rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain, blazing sun. I use a set of winter tires on separate rims from about November to April (just took them off a week ago as this winter dragged on a bit here). Like 45bvtc's roadster (Hi, Mr. H.!), my car has been serviced solely by Audi. The only issue I have had was a sticky upshift paddle for the DSG and that was sorted out under warranty. I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue, so it doesn't sound like it's widespread. Other than that, smoooooth sailing.

:racer:

Reactions: AJ91 and 45bvtc
I should have mentioned that I'm running the 2.0 TFSI with Quattro.

Reactions: AJ91
I should have mentioned that I'm running the 2.0 TFSI with Quattro.

I think them good cars Mr. T., especially the 2.0 TFSI with quattro and DSG. OK, I've a 'thing' for the 5-pot motor but running both side by side I'm sometimes amazed how good the 2.0 TFSI is; I've no hesitation in recommending a MK 2 2.0 TFSI TT to AJ91 - even though he's still only '24'; can you remember those manic days Mr. T.; them were still in the 60's for me, the 70's had yet to arrive...
WineDrinkingSmiley.gif

l just bought a Mk2 3.2 with 13500 miles on it. Having sold me 08 S3 for a A45 AMG lm questioning why l did that. l wont be looking past Audis again, unless l win the lottery.

Even then an S8, RS7 and/or RS6 take some beating whatever the alternatives... :superman:

I think them good cars Mr. T., especially the 2.0 TFSI with quattro and DSG. OK, I've a 'thing' for the 5-pot motor but running both side by side I'm sometimes amazed how good the 2.0 TFSI is; I've no hesitation in recommending a MK 2 2.0 TFSI TT to AJ91 - even though he's still only '24'; can you remember those manic days Mr. T.; them were still in the 60's for me, the 70's had yet to arrive...
WineDrinkingSmiley.gif

AJ91 you can't beat advice from current owners with cars similar to the one you're after. And also those with experience in all weathers. So lots of good advice above.

I had a 2009 Audi A4 with the 2.0 litre TFSI and I didn't have any engine issues and didn't have excessive oil consumption which has been a problem on the A4s.

Definitely go for quattro and if you have a set of winter tyres you should be good to go in most road conditions.

45bvtc how does the seat height from the ground compare on your TT and RS3? Is your TT on the 10mm lower suspension or standard?

I feel a second midlife crisis coming on and the new TT RS with the 5 pot is tempting. I do miss the warble of my RS2. But I've agreed with the SO that the seating position my 1 series with M Sport suspension is lower than we really want now in a daily runner.

Reactions: RCD6FC, AJ91 and 45bvtc
45bvtc how does the seat height from the ground compare on your TT and RS3? Is your TT on the 10mm lower suspension or standard?

I feel a second midlife crisis coming on and the new TT RS with the 5 pot is tempting.

I/we really do not notice a difference in the seat height, Cobstar; both our RS3 and TT have the 'comfort' manual seat, not buckets, we just didn't want the buckets (at our age)...

If you're local feel free to visit and evaluate yourself :yum:

The difference between the 5-pot with 7-speed DSG and 4-pot with 6-speed DSG is huge - and that's why we're 'still' chasing a suitable TTRS ragtop; that said, having driven some 300 miles a few weeks back to view a 'suitable' TTRS and driving both back-to-back we came away thinking that other than the 5-pot noise and general 'nose heavy' feel of the TTRS with its heavier 5-pot lump in the front then the 'humble' 2.0 TFSI powered machine came out pretty good; so the 'itch' may well have been scratched, maybe...

Seating position in our Audi A2 90bhp diesel is, however, noticeably different...

SUZY P1000526mod

Reactions: Cobstar
Thank you 45bvtc.

Starting my research early to replace the 1 series next year. Want the next car to be a keeper for 10+ years like your plans for your lovely RS3. I ran the RS2 for five years but haven't managed to keep a car more than two years since. Hard act to follow although S2000 was fun.

Last year I thought my next car would be an SLK55 AMG but SO wants all wheel drive now. Started off looking at the almost sensible but pricey 3.0 V6 F-Pace SUV. Then my neighbour bought a 440i convertible and you can get a XDrive diesel and we really like the 8 speed automatic on my 1 series. Plus I loved top down motoring in my S2000. Then the new TT RS was announced last week and my heart is pulled back to Audi again. So lots of options.

And as you say the 2.0 litre TT is no slouch. When I sat in the TTS at GFOS two years ago I thought that would replace my car of the time but then when the pricing came out I thought it was overpriced with the options I wanted. But maybe not given current discounts.

I shall enjoy researching options. And I haven't totally ruled out the RS3 either.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Thanks everyone for the inputs, im going to change this semester when I have 4 weeks off work and try and sell my Audi A3 asap to find me a TT.

Will definitely try and get the Quattro 2.0 tfsi! I was looking at Audi a5 Sportback as well but seeing how the TT is rare around here I would love to have one. I was a bit worried about space but to be honest its not often that I drive more then 2 people and if thats the case we would just have to take their car instead.

I just hope I can find a decent one on sale by then!

AJ:

I don't think you can go too wrong with the Mk II. I've had a 2013 Mk II coupe for two years now as a daily driver. 95 mile round trip to work in all seasons. I live on the other side of the pond (Canada) and drive through all sorts of conditions: rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain, blazing sun. I use a set of winter tires on separate rims from about November to April (just took them off a week ago as this winter dragged on a bit here). Like 45bvtc's roadster (Hi, Mr. H.!), my car has been serviced solely by Audi. The only issue I have had was a sticky upshift paddle for the DSG and that was sorted out under warranty. I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue, so it doesn't sound like it's widespread. Other than that, smoooooth sailing.

:racer:

You'r TT looks sweet! definitely an Eye catcher. Also that you use it the same way I do has sold it to me, was a bit worried this was just a summer car to be honest but the Quattro should do just fine in the Winter as well, will just have to make sure not to lower it too much - hope to get a S-line model which should be low enough - are there even any standard suspension on these that makes it look like a massive Wheel gap?

Might as well just ask you straight away what rims size and tyre dimensions you drive with? ET 35 on the TT?

You'r TT looks sweet! definitely an Eye catcher. Also that you use it the same way I do has sold it to me, was a bit worried this was just a summer car to be honest but the Quattro should do just fine in the Winter as well, will just have to make sure not to lower it too much - hope to get a S-line model which should be low enough - are there even any standard suspension on these that makes it look like a massive Wheel gap?

Might as well just ask you straight away what rims size and tyre dimensions you drive with? ET 35 on the TT?

The TT is fine in the winter. The only time I wouldn't take it out is if there had been a heavy snowfall and the roads hadn't been cleared. It's a low car and you'd just end up pushing snow in front of you or getting beached! Fortunately, the powers that be over here do clear the roads pretty quickly and I've never had to leave the TT at home over the two winters I've had it. A little bit of snow or slush is no problem at all.

Right now, I still have the summer tyres and rims that came with the car as well as a set of winters that I bought after getting it. My TT has an S-Line package and came with 19" wheels.

Summer wheels: 19 x 8J Audi Rotors, ET = 52
Summer tyres: 255/35 R19 Toyo Proxes (will probably switch to Michelin Pilot Super Sport when they need replacing)

I'll check on the winter shoes when I get home and post the details later today as I can't remember for sure.

Winter wheels: 17 x 7J, ET = 45

Winter tyres: 225/50 R17, Michelin X-Ice Xi3

Cheers about that!

Was thinking about keeping my A3 summer Wheels and tyres but will probably just sell them with the car seeing how they are 225/35/19 with 19x8,5 ET 45 so a bit too slim compared to yours 255.

RCD6FC, your summer wheels are 9j not 8j if there oem

19" 9j et52 with 255/35/19 tyres

On iPhone using Tapacrap

RCD6FC, your summer wheels are 9j not 8j if there oem

19" 9j et52 with 255/35/19 tyres

On iPhone using Tapacrap

Ack! Of course, you're right. I didn't even notice I'd typed 8J, and that was on a regulation keyboard, not one of those fumbly phone thingies.

:hopelessness: